My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I also put Sta-Bil in all my gas cans and periodically add a small dose of SeaFoam & MMO directly into the mowers fuel tanks.
As I understand it SeaFoam helps keep the fuel system clean & MMO is good for top end lube.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What kind of fuel? Diesel of gasoline?

'Expiration' dates are marketing. They don't want you saving for future use. They want to to buy more stuff more often.
Gasoline or pre-mix. I don't have any diesel. Thanks for the heads up on expiration dates. Seems counter-intuitive that a stabilizer would have an expiration date.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I also put Sta-Bil in all my gas cans and periodically add a small dose of SeaFoam & MMO directly into the mowers fuel tanks.
As I understand it SeaFoam helps keep the fuel system clean & MMO is good for top end lube.
MMO keeps the fuel system spotless, too. And it's hugely cheaper than Seafoam.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't keep gas over 2-3 weeks. If I haven't used it by then it goes in the truck and i get fresh non ethanol in the can. Never use stabilizer!

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,214 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble skippy, but non-ethanol fuel goes bad in as little as 60 days without stabilizer.
I buy non-ethanol gas for all my machines.. I have a machine with a plow mounted.. it get's used in the winter.. all summer the gas doesn't go icky..

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Seems counter-intuitive that a stabilizer would have an expiration date.
Per the manufacturer. I'm not a chemical engineer so can't say with certainty whether it's marketing hype or not.

"The properties of STA-BIL® formula that allow it to do this are not resistant to the effects of oxygen themselves. At some point, the components of STA-BIL® will begin to oxidize as well, and the resulting changes diminish its capability to continue providing effective protection to stabilized gasoline.

These reasons can explain why an opened, but tightly capped, bottle of STA-BIL®Fuel Stabilizer is effective for about two years.The oxygen molecules immediately initiate oxidation as soon as the bottle is opened. You should only be using the most effective products for the best classic cars.

The effectiveness of older, opened bottles of STA-BIL® can also be determined by a color examination due to the dye included in the formulation. As the dye ages, it gets darker. An older variation of this dye may also crystallize as it ages and form flakes in the bottle. These flakes are actually a result of oxidation and the stabilizer will no longer be able to offer the protection to gasoline that a newer bottle will."

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/how-do-i-know-if-my-sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer-is-still-good-to-use/

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
"The properties of STA-BIL® formula that allow it to do this are not resistant to the effects of oxygen themselves. At some point, the components of STA-BIL® will begin to oxidize as well, and the resulting changes diminish its capability to continue providing effective protection to stabilized gasoline.

These reasons can explain why an opened, but tightly capped, bottle of STA-BIL®Fuel Stabilizer is effective for about two years.The oxygen molecules immediately initiate oxidation as soon as the bottle is opened. You should only be using the most effective products for the best classic cars.
So they must produce their product in a oxygen free environment and then bottle it in one as well, likely pure nitrogen. That's a pretty expensive process. Otherwise, it would have started oxidizing before it ever left the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
So they must produce their product in a oxygen free environment and then bottle it in one as well, likely pure nitrogen. That's a pretty expensive process. Otherwise, it would have started oxidizing before it ever left the factory.
Send them an e-mail. Maybe they will inform us of their process. I don't know their process and don't care to speculate on what it might be.

As far as preventing oxidation in a bottle, I do it all the time when I brew beer if sending bottles to competitions I pre-fill the bottle with CO2 from one of my 20lb tanks. It flushes the O2 out as CO2 is heavier than O2. When filling kegs I blow O2 out with pressurized CO2 then charge the keg and blow it off before filling. During filling the beer is transferred to the bottom where the heavier CO2 is sitting and the liquid pushes the CO2 blanket upward and out of the keg. That is extremely cheap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't keep gas over 2-3 weeks. If I haven't used it by then it goes in the truck and i get fresh non ethanol in the can. Never use stabilizer!
I always store 10-20 gallons over winter (4-6 months) with a stabilizer added in the event of a power outage and never had any problems.. Ethanol gas too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have heard great things about mechanic in a bottle for engines that are not running great due to fuel that is starting to go bad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
None. I've lost 3 engines in my life. All 3 had Sta-bil in them. I've got engines from the 70s that sit for months on end, and run just fine when they are needed.

·
15,214 Posts
when u buy a new mower u have to fill the crank case with oil.. they don't run the mowers in the factory..

·
2,130 Posts
I don't think that is necessary...if you consider that tomato products for instance have to be isolated from oxygen to remain fresh and they don't really cost that much...there are ways it can be accomplished at a cost that is manageable and low enough to make it worth while

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't think that is necessary...if you consider that tomato products for instance have to be isolated from oxygen to remain fresh and they don't really cost that much...there are ways it can be accomplished at a cost that is manageable and low enough to make it worth while
Agreed. The brewery down the road purges their bottles with CO2, and then fills them. IIRC, since the CO2 is heavier than air there is a layer that remains on top of the beer when it's capped. No oxygen.

They could do the same thing with Stabil. The oxygen in the air is what starts the oxidation process when you open it.

·
15,214 Posts
I think he means when they seal the STA-BIL bottles at factory. :tango_face_wink:
NNNNOOOOO.. I said this''''''''''' when u buy a new mower u have to fill the crank case with oil.. they don't run the mowers in the factory..

there is no gas in the tanks..

I didn't say anything about STA-BIL.... all of my mowers get non-ethanol gas..

·
Registered
232 Posts
NNNNOOOOO.. I said this''''''''''' when u buy a new mower u have to fill the crank case with oil.. they don't run the mowers in the factory..

:sidelaugh. And nobody was talking about being filled with gas from the factory.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts

You quoted my post about Stabil oxidizing when you made that first post, so we assumed that you were replying to that somehow. Maybe you could add a note when you add an arbitrary post quote like that to one of your posts and are not actually replying to it. :tango_face_wink:

21 - 40 of 62 Posts