My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I recently moved into a new home on almost 2 acres. My new 10x20 vinyl sided shed is up and ready. I have my new JD X530 with snowblower in it. That takes up about 10 feet or so. I will store my motorcycle in it as well as other various things.

My question is, what are "must haves" and "nice to haves" in my new shed? I do not have power or heat, but plan on having both possibly in the spring. I don't plan on using it as a workshop too much as I have a garage that I'll be putting a bench/tools in. I would like to use what space is left after all the storage for a space to relax and chill eventually. I hate to say "man-cave" but I guess thats what it may be once I get heat/power.

What are your thoughts? What are some things you have put in your shed/garage that you would call "must haves"? Shelving, hooks, lighting, anything.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
My first "must have" for a 10x20 shed would be MORE ROOM!

My first shed was 20x20, that was usable. Under that, it will look like a high school sophomores school locker in 6 months. Stuff stacked on stuff.

I learned that from watching a neighbor build and fill his 8x20 in the first year he was in his new home. His push mower had to stay outside!!

You can not believe what the wife will want to "move to the shed".

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
SHelves, shelves and more shelves, prior to filling it up with " stuff" . And some overhead storage if you have the room for those rarely used items.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first "must have" for a 10x20 shed would be MORE ROOM!

My first shed was 20x20, that was usable. Under that, it will look like a high school sophomores school locker in 6 months. Stuff stacked on stuff.

I learned that from watching a neighbor build and fill his 8x20 in the first year he was in his new home. His push mower had to stay outside!!

You can not believe what the wife will want to "move to the shed".
Trust me if I could afford bigger, I'd go MUCH bigger. I actually started out looking at 10x14 because of the budget. I realized that was just not big enough and would have to blow through the budget. 10x20 is still the biggest shed in the 'hood, so I've got that going for me!:fing32:

Shelves and a loft will be going up soon. I painted the floor first thing since I don't want water on the bare floor after blowing snow. I just want to make sure I do the things that need to get done before I fill it and have to take it back out.:banghead3

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, has anyone used those solar lights at all? Are they worth it at all until I'm able to get power to the shed or don't bother?

·
4,007 Posts
What kinda solar lights are you speaking of? The SolaTubes, a skylight, or a solar powered light like a floodlight for nighttime use ? or something else?

·
Registered
484 Posts
hmmm.bar,beer fridge to start.I don't have them either lol.

·
4,007 Posts
I don't have the solar light you showed , but do have a couple others with small remote panels. One of them looks like an emergency exit light in size, 1 light head ( like 15 LED's) and it is really bright. Well worth it. It has a big AGM battery in it so it lasts a long time.

I have a couple others from Northern, and they are just " okay" . They do work though, fairly bright but not knock your socks off bright.

A fridge, now that's a good call windowgoblin LOL.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the solar light you showed , but do have a couple others with small remote panels. One of them looks like an emergency exit light in size, 1 light head ( like 15 LED's) and it is really bright. Well worth it. It has a big AGM battery in it so it lasts a long time.

I have a couple others from Northern, and they are just " okay" . They do work though, fairly bright but not knock your socks off bright.

A fridge, now that's a good call windowgoblin LOL.
Yeah fridge is priority when power gets run out there. Any idea where/what kind of light you have that you say is well worth it? :thanku:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,715 Posts
In my quonset garage,I dont need a fridge 6 months of the year--I got a mini fridge,but I found my beer and soda often FROZE in it and made a big mess,even after I unplugged it!..it also raised the electric bill a lot,so I barely use it any more...only in the summer months do I plug it in now..I have a TV set in my "office",but that is something that often wastes my time..

HEAT was the main thing I wanted ,after it was built...after all,I built it so I could work indoors in comfort rather than out in the weather,but soon noted just being out of the rain and wind still wasn't the best,if you were still COLD!--I added two wood stoves ,but they hog a lot of room,and storing wood inside wastes space and makes a mess too,its better than nothing but if I had my way,I'd have a hot air furnace in there again--the one I had rotted away inside and started leaking CO,so I had to scrap it...feeding the stoves and having to constantly make sure they aren't going out takes a lot of work time away from your projects too..but free wood is hard to beat for heat!..

A loft is another desireable thing,it'll save a lot of floor space when you can put items up there your not using...I have found work benches in my garage quickly become a cluttered up mess ,I actually took one out and I may just delete a few more,as they become "shelves" quickly in a quonset that you cant really make shelves for easily...
I may take two pallet racks I have been using as shelves and make a loft,using them as the main supports..

A phone is another thing I may "delete"..I hate being interupted by telemarketers and other pests while trying to work!..

·
4,007 Posts
Yeah, Heith Zenith, 7001 ( but with an LED head) . From Lowes, about 90 bucks. That's the security light one , I have one on the chicken tractor that let's me know when the fox is around at night LOL. See pic below , of one here needing repair. ( it kinda got run over, but still works :) ) The remote charging panel is a nice deal.

The other ones I have are from Northern Tool, actually a submersible pond light. I move them around for general task lighting, or for holiday decoration lighting out in the woods. I even toss it in the water here for night fishing once in a while. Sorry, no model number on it. It is is outdoor rated, but the 1/8" plug would benefit from some dielectric grease on it as the chrome plug is thin and rusts easily. It runs on just 2 rechargeable cells, AA size like solar accent lighting. Looking at the Nothern site, I think it is a Sunforce,though they seem to have switched to Kasko brand...:dunno:

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
A solid work bench with a decent vise

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Haulin daze
A stout 10-12 ga extension cord to use for temperary power if you want to do a job in the shed rather than the garage. For example cleaning up a piece of rusty metal with an angle grinder with a cup brush, while the mrs has her vehicle parked in the garage clean...always clean.:swow:
DMAC

·
Registered
953 Posts
A comfortable chair and, once you get power, a tv, or at least a radio.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bench with a good vice will be in the garage, but I suppose one in the shed could only be a good thing! :fing32:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
48" fan out of a paint booth.

D7K_1084416x640.jpg

Mine will "hinge" so when I leaf blow to "sweep out" the shed, it keeps the air moving.

It amazing how nice the shed is in the summer with enough air moving.

And when it is against the wall up high, it takes up no room!!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
Bench with a good vice will be in the garage, but I suppose one in the shed could only be a good thing! :fing32:
Doesn't have to be big or fancy, but even a small work bench will be a wonderful thing to have, saves steps and time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts