My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I debated putting this in the Craftsman forum, but I think the answer to this question may benefit anybody with a warranty. My 3 year extended warranty will expire in 2 months and while I see no obvious problems with this, my 3rd Craftsman tractor under this warranty (3rd time's the charm), I wonder if there is anything I should inspect for possible failure and have looked at by a Sears tech before the warranty is up. What hidden problems might I have?

The only problem I have had in 75 hrs. with this (the 3rd) tractor was that during the first winter the starter froze up 2 or 3 times. 5 minutes with a hair dryer and everything was fine. I called, then canceled a tech visit about this because I didn't think it was a big deal. I did NOT have this problem last winter. The only other things I can note are a very infrequent puff of smoke when I start it, perhaps from leaving the choke out too long, and some squeaks from the frame traversing ditches and such. Not much to complain about on the surface, what do I look for underneath?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
If it was me, I'll check all the bearing/bushing from the front axel, wheels, steering linkage, all the under pulley. All the mechanical lever for premature wear.

It's a good start. :)

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was me, I'll check all the bearing/bushing from the front axel, wheels, steering linkage, all the under pulley. All the mechanical lever for premature wear.

It's a good start. :)
What do I look/feel for if I'm checking the bushings and bearings? Do I raise the wheel and spin it? Should I check for anything on the Tufftorq K46 transmission? It whines a little when you start out but it's still pretty quiet under use.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
For bearing you raise them and spin the wheel listen carefully if you hear a grinding noise or feel vibration on the spindle (put your finger on it) after you grab the wheel at 180 degrees and check for excessive play that good on pulley too (they have to be free, no belt on)

Bushing you check for excessive play.

For the transaxle it's normal the be a bit noisy (whining noise) :fing32:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
check some of the basic things that you get during your tune ups. belts, fuel line, filters, etc.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
still worth checking haha. kinda a "while your at it" type thing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts