My Tractor Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1802 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Busy with the Ford and White again today. I started by finding a couple of snatch blocks and 50 feet of winch cable and rigging them up to try to pull small stumps. Used a huge pine tree as the anchor, hooked the cable there, ran it to the first snatch block, which was attached to the stump, then back through the second snatch block at the tree, and finally to the Ford tractor. That poor 500 lb tractor didn't even cause the stump to wiggle, so I hooked the White up... even with its hydro issues that machine popped that stump out quickly. Then with the help of a shovel and an ax, I proceeded to remove 8-9 other small stumps.
Followed that up by dragging the DIY tool around for a bit to help level the ground some.
I think the White is about done.... once my Ariens is done I'll move the blade to it and put this one in the garage and tear into it and hope I can fix it.

·
MTF member
7 Posts
I modified my 2015 Husqvarna YTA 24V48 to give it a fresh "old" look. Borrowed some inspiration from an old junker parts Bolens tractor. It may make some of the purists cringe, but it sure does make mowing a little more fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I modified my 2015 Husqvarna YTA 24V48 to give it a fresh "old" look. Borrowed some inspiration from an old junker parts Bolens tractor. It may make some of the purists cringe, but it sure does make mowing a little more fun...
Wow that is excellent work. Great job!! It really looks neat.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Yes, looks great ! Actually looks like a tractor again. Well done.:fing02::fing02:

When will the manufacturers learn that owners just don't like the silly fragile plastic blister or the squashed bug design.:banghead3

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Yes, looks great ! Actually looks like a tractor again. Well done.:fing02::fing02:

When will the manufacturers learn that owners just don't like the silly fragile plastic blister or the squashed bug design.:banghead3
JD was the first with plastic with the STX machine.. they had gone from fiberglass to plastic.. the STX stood for Suburban Tractor eXperimental.. then came the Sabre with a more sturdy hood..

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
That "old junker" looks pretty good. It's got four tires. Hope you put a hood on that one (even plastic). It can out pull the Husqee any day of the week.

·
MTF member
7 Posts
That "old junker" looks pretty good. It's got four tires. Hope you put a hood on that one (even plastic). It can out pull the Husqee any day of the week.

:tango_face_grin:

Very true! No disrespect to the Bolens!! It is a much better tractor. I only refered to it a an "old junker" because I would never part out a good "complete" old garden tractor just to steal the front end off of it. I feel like that would be a shame. The old Bolens had the back end smashed in, was missing the motor, driveshaft, deck and attachments, and the left side of the front "axle" was broken. The front end/hood even had a bullet hole in it when I got it. So, I completely agree with your assessment, but no, there is no hood on it any longer, but there is also no engine for it to cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in northern Michigan, our land is hilly, all sand, covered by lichen and small grasses. We are just moving in here, and have about 500 lbs of rocks to locate on the property (mostly small 1-2lbs, but many in the 10-30lb category). We are rock-hounds, and have a fossil collection which is cool to look at, but what a pain to move. Taking a look around at the soil, I was in a quandary as to how to move these with my small tow-behind cart, as the wheels go flat when too loaded, then it sinks into the sand. Plus pulling uphill in sand is a no-go. Then I got an idea that worked; I went to a hardware store and bought a $60 polyethylene cargo-sled that is normally used for ice fishing. Loading this thing up with the rocks, I was able to tow them smoothly over the landscape without a mark or problem. I will be moving stumps with it next...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pictures of your terrain and sled --Please
Sure! Here is a picture of our pole barn on the property 'ridge', and a wider view of the property. There are a lot of old rotted trees that need to be moved, and the 'sled' in the last picture looks like it will do the trick without digging up the property during the moves. The tractor has turf tires that seem to float well on the sand, so that might not be a problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Cut grass yesterday, today got the MTD 990 out to trim under trees, off to a bad start flat left front, drove to garage & aired it up. then....trimmed about 300 feet & tractor stalls, great! up against the trees, So.... crank it over a little, no gas odor, I start to turn off fuel valve for I can look at or change fuel filter & find the fuel valve is already shut off. Nice! I open valve & 990 fires right up, I stand there looking at valve & it vibrates shut again. nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Used my Ford LT12.5a to pull a stump today. Had to do some digginf and root chopping first, but the tractor finished it off with the help of some cable and pulleys. Wasn't a terribly big stump, maybe the trunk was six inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Since that last post, I have removed another 6-8 stumps with that little Ford. I have to do considerable digging first, and the stumps aren't huge ( biggest so far had about an 8 inch trunk), but the key is using more pulleys. I have 3 now...the cable goes from the anchor tree to the first pulley at the stump, then back to a pulley on the tree, and the third one at the stump again, then to the little Ford. I'm sure that loaded tires or chains would help, but I worry a lot less about breaking things as it is now.
Today was a busy day. I made a cradle with hinged legs with casters on them so I could get it under my fuel oil tank. Then I used a floor jack to raise tank and all high enough to swing the legs and lock them into place. Let the tank down so it rode on the casters and pushed it the few inches I needed to move it. Replaced the filter can with a new one, check for leaks and finding none, called it done.
Then I cleaned the chicken coop and run, and raked around it. Raked an area about 20 feet square in the "someday lawn" that used to be trees and brush (and is part of the approximately 7,500 feet that I've been clearing for 3 years) then dug and pulled those stumps. Finished up with pulling several large grape vine roots.
Spent about an hour after that working on cleaning in the garage.
Did I mention that I love my little Ford?

·
Stanley Tractor Driver
53 Posts
I pulled it out of the basement for the first time this year... drove it around, let the boy steer it. I really have no use for it so it sits a lot. Now to burn the new fuel out and store it again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Stanley Tractor Driver
53 Posts
It's a shame that you don't get to use that at all.

I know... I got it in a package deal of 3 Murray’s, fixed and sold two and kept ahold of this one for some reason... last year it had a new carburetor, I rewired part of it, new solenoid, oil pan gasket, and crankshaft O-ring. If I find a bagger kit for this on CL or Facebook, I’ll use it, otherwise our neighbors (her parents) push now because the grass has to be bagged. Anyway, I like old Murray’s before Briggs bought them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
Over the weekend I brought my 860 back up to operation after my 990 went down. Used it to put away my 5x8 trailer and pull some logs up to burn. It seems to have self-healed most of its major oil burning issue after being used as a go-kart for a few days last summer. I feel bad now, but it was fun then! Shame the thing's in too rough of shape to do anything else with.

1781 - 1800 of 1802 Posts