My Tractor Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1834 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I need to see pics of this sprocket repair.

Mike

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,043 Posts
Already posted this in the Snow Tonight/Tomorrow thread. Was thinking I was in this one when I posted. Oh well, post it again.

Thought I had about 6" of wet snow this morning, from looking at the deck.
Had more like 8" in the yard after I got out there. Not as wet as I was thinking it was going to be. Still dry enough to blow well.
Driveway (900') had some pretty big drifts in it in a few places. Just kept working at them til I made one pass through end to end. After that took half widths or less and it went pretty good. Glad the blower has such a tall front end. Never have made drift cutters for it. I should do that some time.

Was out for 6 hours with the tractor cleaning up. Takes time when you are only taking half widths. And still getting a lot of fall out on one side.
Blew some of the tall snow banks on West side back a little. Wind was 20 to 25 mph out of the NW so West side kept drifting back in as I worked. It is open for now, left it for the night and will see what the morning brings.

Listening to the weather tonight there was no mention of the winds or when they may die down. I suppose that now that the wind chill won't kill you they have no interest in it. Seems to me the farmers, outdoor workers, and many other people need to know how bad the wind will be and when they will die down.

2 cars and the truck swept off. Parking and turn around area, 100' x 100', all cleaned out.
Still a little work to do with the small walk behind tomorrow. And (sigh) the shovel.

Tractor and blower were working really well for a change. Nothing broke, all ran fine, and I finished the job. :00000033:

Found a note in my records yesterday where I wrote that leaving the chain idler sprocket on the loose side will reduce the chain noise.
So yesterday when I installed the new idler sprocket and tested it, it was still too loud. I backed the spring tension off and it is much quieter. Today chain and sprockets not sounding like they will all fly apart at any time. I had just replaced the spring with a non stock one and must have had it too tight.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Already posted this in the Snow Tonight/Tomorrow thread. Was thinking I was in this one when I posted. Oh well, post it again.

Thought I had about 6" of wet snow this morning, from looking at the deck.
Had more like 8" in the yard after I got out there. Not as wet as I was thinking it was going to be. Still dry enough to blow well.
Driveway (900') had some pretty big drifts in it in a few places. Just kept working at them til I made one pass through end to end. After that took half widths or less and it went pretty good. Glad the blower has such a tall front end. Never have made drift cutters for it. I should do that some time.

Was out for 6 hours with the tractor cleaning up. Takes time when you are only taking half widths. And still getting a lot of fall out on one side.
Blew some of the tall snow banks on West side back a little. Wind was 20 to 25 mph out of the NW so West side kept drifting back in as I worked. It is open for now, left it for the night and will see what the morning brings.

Listening to the weather tonight there was no mention of the winds or when they may die down. I suppose that now that the wind chill won't kill you they have no interest in it. Seems to me the farmers, outdoor workers, and many other people need to know how bad the wind will be and when they will die down.

2 cars and the truck swept off. Parking and turn around area, 100' x 100', all cleaned out.
Still a little work to do with the small walk behind tomorrow. And (sigh) the shovel.

Tractor and blower were working really well for a change. Nothing broke, all ran fine, and I finished the job. :00000033:

Found a note in my records yesterday where I wrote that leaving the chain idler sprocket on the loose side will reduce the chain noise.
So yesterday when I installed the new idler sprocket and tested it, it was still too loud. I backed the spring tension off and it is much quieter. Today chain and sprockets not sounding like they will all fly apart at any time. I had just replaced the spring with a non stock one and must have had it too tight.
So I guess you don't have to cut the sprocket off the shaft anymore?That would be a big job.My local weather guys always show wind charts,i pay attention during fire season.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,043 Posts
So I guess you don't have to cut the sprocket off the shaft anymore?That would be a big job.My local weather guys always show wind charts,i pay attention during fire season.
I think I will still have to change out the sprockets. Still seems to be too much noise up front to me. They are looking pretty worn compared to what a new one looks like. Was looking at new sprockets at TSC the other day. But hope I can wait until snow is over for the season.
That might be in July some time this year. :tango_face_surprise

I think the bottom (small) sprocket has a hole in it that fits over the shaft, then the outer face was welded to the shaft. Will have to grind off the weld and see what else I have to do to get it off. Then go find one.

Listened to 2 different weather reports last evening. No mention of the winds. Was thinking if they were going to quit after sunset, I'd stay dressed and go back out and clear the driveway again if they died down.
10:00 weather did say they would die down by midnight. They were still blowing strong when I let the dog out one last time at 10:30.

Seems strange to me they have been screaming about the winds, wind chill, and "feels like" temp all winter. Many dire warnings about frost bite and dying if you are caught outside. Now with a little warmer temps, they can not be so dramatic and it seems they have lost interest.
Seems to me any weather report should include wind direction, speeds and forecast for the wind. Makse a difference when you live in the country.

This is a picture I took of the lower sprocket 5 or 6 years ago. Still looked in good shape then. Did not get a recent one when I was replacing the chain.
Small Sprocket.jpg

·
Dozer_xj
30 Posts
Here are pictures of my 400 plowing snow this last winter.

400plow.jpg

Got a lesson in traction last weekend. Got my 400 stuck in the mud on this hill. Then it died on me and wouldn't start. I think it's the ignition switch. My wife and I both had to sit on the 317 for traction but that 317 was able to pull a dead 400 out of mud and up a hill. Very impressed. Also showed me what adding weight to a tractor will do in the traction department.
317400.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
:Welcome1:

I can't tell if that's you or your wife on that tractor, but that is not the look of a happy person!

Mike

·
Dozer_xj
30 Posts
:Welcome1:

I can't tell if that's you or your wife on that tractor, but that is not the look of a happy person!

Mike
That is my wife. She is usually less than thrilled when she has to come outside in the cold and get in the mud ahaha

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,043 Posts
Driveway drifted in again last night. Hope it was the last night. Temps are raising and rain is on the way.

Went to let the dog out last night for the last time before bed and found a Skunk was out under the bird feeder. And at lunch time there was a Robin in the water bowl on the deck. 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground and things are already starting to happen. Can't stop mother nature.

GT and snowblower worked great again. 2 times in a row!
Drifts were only 18" tall or so. Snow was soft and fairly heavy.
I found if I dropped the throttle just a little off WOT the chain noise was greatly reduced. Snow still blew just as well.

Then I remembered last summer I used my tachometer and had found the engine was running at 3400 rpm, and I brought it up to 3600 at WOT as the tech manual suggests.
So maybe if I dropped throttle a hair it is back down to 3400 to 3200. Not sure why such a little bit makes such a difference, but nice having snowblower run quieter.

Only took the whole snow season to get it running right this year.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hauled stuff to the compost bins in the wagon and checked on the newly planted fruit trees while out there. A pretty heavy mist with a few drops of rain were coming down in that back to the cold windy weather. But it's always fun being on the little tractor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rigged up a 36" sleeve hitch disk without a sleeve hitch for my little Troy Bilt. Only 14" on each side of center tear up the ground no matter how you measure it from what I can tell. But it's called a 36" disk. The 25" tongue with made up hitch worked well creating a perfectly level hitch and disk. Not supposed to do this kind of stuff, ground engaging work, with this little tractor I believe.

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
Moved a small deck yesterday.

Attachments

·
Stanley Tractor Driver
53 Posts
I didn’t post yesterday, but I broke out the angle grinder and cut some new ceramic brake pads for the Stanley GT. You shouldn’t use a grinder to cut your pads because of the dust but the hacksaw blade was dull so I went with the quick method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Took my 36" disk out, which really only covers 28" of ground surface, behind my big Troy Bilt Pony today. Intentionally only went about 2-3 inches deep, adding weight of course. Trying to get rocks to show up or surface better to get them out of the planting area. Seems they sprouted pretty good this past winter. I think it's going to be an endless job. Last a few years. Likely longer than the little TB will last. It's where an old drive and barn lot use to be.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got my Troy Bilt Pony out of the stall. Used the straw-pine needle rake to shake up the rocks in that barn lot-drive I'm trying to clear the rocks from. Then I used the scraper to drag the rocks into piles. Went over another area with the disc and the, Guide Gear Tow-Behind, 48" PLOW. That's what they call it. It has eight straight shovel like tines about 2 inches wide. Two sided. Use the other side once you wear out the firs side in about 50 years. Looks more like kind of a mini field cultivator. It can only go 3 1/2 inches deep. Back of frame rubs the ground. Does a good job of whatever you want to call it. Brought up some more rocks with it. The Troy Bilt keeps moving along with no problems.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yesterday sprayed carb with Mac's carb & choke cleaner, put on new fuel filter, swapped out blades on mower deck, greased all zerks on deck/tractor, pulled up some rotted pine stumps, hooked up lawn sweeper & picked up twigs/limbs from thunder storm then set fire to the burn pile. Whooo, I'm tired.:ROF

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yesterday sprayed carb with Mac's carb & choke cleaner, put on new fuel filter, swapped out blades on mower deck, greased all zerks on deck/tractor, pulled up some rotted pine stumps, hooked up lawn sweeper & picked up twigs/limbs from thunder storm then set fire to the burn pile. Whooo, I'm tired.:ROF
You punched in and punched out on the clock yesterday. Now that's some real working. You better take a break today and enjoy the GT.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was tractor busy today!
First, I installed an old round-style ignition coil on the White Yard Boss to bypass the stock coil. This motor has external points, so I simply used them in conjunction with the new coil and it ran. It hasn't had spark for some time, so I was pleased that it worked as I planned. While I was doing that, I put a toggle switch on the + side of the coil so I can finally shut this thing off from the seat. The key has never shut this tractor off, I've always had to shut the gas valve and wait until it ran out of gas.
That tractor has a blade on it that I have hooked up with a HF winch, so I spent a couple of hours pushing away piles of old leaves and some dirt in my continuing project of making a lawn where bushes and small tree used to be... this is the third summer of the project, and I'm hoping it's the last.
After a couple of hours with the White, I hooked my homemade scarifier/drag/harrow/thing to the Ford and loosened up the soil in an area of another 1,000 square feet or so, and then parked that tractor and went back on the White and worked with that until I ran out of gas, which took another hour or so.
I'm a bit concerned about that old White... it''s a hydro and reverse doesn't have enough power to move the tractor anymore, the 3 point hitch drops by itself, and forward is getting slow as well. No reverse made my grading job a slow process.

1761 - 1780 of 1834 Posts