My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well yesterday's effort with the 3930 was clipping several hundred feet of right of way and the 50' wide loop road around the house sight (something like 700' in diameter. All told about 3 hours of clipping with no problems. I shut it down to install an ammo can tool box and then went to restart and nothing. No click no grunt no nothing. No drilling occurred on the tractor. I went through the litany of verifying the shuttle selector, range gear selectors were in neutral. The PTO selector was in the off position and the clutch depressed nothing sitting in the seat... I added the jump box still nothing. The heat was getting to me so we hooked a chain onto it and dragged it back into the fenced enclosure and chained it up. The PTO safety switch looks easy fairly open. The shuttle and shift lever safeties not so much. On the old 5000 and 7610 the shift lever safety wires came right out of the shift lever cover and you could disconnect and run a VOM to check switch activation. Where are they on the 3930? Did I miss may of the safeties? Any thought on directed trouble shooting?

·
Registered
40 Posts
:tango_face_smile_bi Well guys back to the 3930 today. Still locked up where I left it. I started the evolution with an inspection of the battery terminal both ok. Cables looked good also. Looked for dangling wires...none so I tried for a restart...no luck. I kept the switch in the crank position and played with the range selector...still no luck.
At that point I went after the PTO interlock. I knew where it was, I could see it and it was easy to get at.I pulled it off the tractor,mashed the button and nothing. I pulled the boot hooked up a jumper across both leads and what do you know....it started. I exercised the switch a few more times and hooked the volt/ohm meter up. Button up high resistance (full range on 100 KOhm) button down 0 ohms. I noticed all 4 prongs were bent so I straightened them up, put the boot and plug back to together and retried... It still worked. Set it up in place, adjusted the position and tightened it down reinstalled, restarted and went off to cut some more grass. Back in business with all the safeties working. My wife of over 36 years was a big help fetching and toting and turning the key as I was trial fitting.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Did a tractor pull with the Ford 6610 and the Ford 8n yesterday. The 8n was able to pull 3400 pounds. The 8n just had one tire filled. The 6610 only pulled 2500 pounds. I had to leave early and I took the hook with me by accident (didn’t get to pull after 2500 pounds). We went last month and the 8n didn’t pull anything. The 6610 on the other hand pulled 6500 pounds.

·
First Tractor
58 Posts
I washed my tractor today! it needs a lot of work but with a little help i think i can make her happy ! Im going to post some questions in the ford tractor area if anyone can give some advice that would really make my week! Ford 4100 my first tractor!

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
I washed my tractor today! it needs a lot of work but with a little help i think i can make her happy ! Im going to post some questions in the ford tractor area if anyone can give some advice that would really make my week! Ford 4100 my first tractor!
Nice, very nice..... you can park that Ford in my driveway anytime...... just as soon as I get a few more acres.

·
First Tractor
58 Posts
just to keep this thread going i tore out the interior of the cab. All the liners were rotted and i didnt want someone elses old dirt in my cab. So took the seat out and wirebrushed all the interior along with tearing out the floor matts and wire brushing the rust, Then sprayed with a rust inhibitor. I bought some ducting insulation , the big roll that i can cut to shape to replace the liners i threw out and hopefully help keep heat in the cab this winter. This is where i f*cked up..... I sprayed interior with a rubber type sealant to help with rust and sound..kinda like wheel well tar. then without thinking i applied a thick coat of contact cement to glue my liner down with! Theeeeennnnnn i watched as the 2 chemicals melted together to form a useless ball of tar glue! YEAHHH SCIENCE! Proceed with the walk of shame into my house :( but at the end of the day...I STILL GOT A TRACTOR!!

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
just to keep this thread going i tore out the interior of the cab. All the liners were rotted and i didnt want someone elses old dirt in my cab. So took the seat out and wirebrushed all the interior along with tearing out the floor matts and wire brushing the rust, Then sprayed with a rust inhibitor. I bought some ducting insulation , the big roll that i can cut to shape to replace the liners i threw out and hopefully help keep heat in the cab this winter. This is where i f*cked up..... I sprayed interior with a rubber type sealant to help with rust and sound..kinda like wheel well tar. then without thinking i applied a thick coat of contact cement to glue my liner down with! Theeeeennnnnn i watched as the 2 chemicals melted together to form a useless ball of tar glue! YEAHHH SCIENCE! Proceed with the walk of shame into my house :( but at the end of the day...I STILL GOT A TRACTOR!!
All is not lost, i'll bet you stopped that rust dead in it's tracks.

And pretty sure you can't smell the previous owner's old work boots any more either.:rolleyes:

Hey.... any day on a Ford tractor is a good day ! :fing32::fing32:

·
First Tractor
58 Posts
Okay guys im working on the tractor again...….pretty much everyday cleaning out the old and making her more mine! Sooooo I picked up some lights from my dads garage because that's what dads are for and as I was checking voltages on the lights that don't work I noticed I only had 10v at the rear lights so I opened the fuse box to find a lot of corrosion and ended up digging into the electronics. There was a lot of useless wiring from old cb radios and added fans that were horribly soldered and the fuse box had a lot of corroded fuse holders. Brought out the Dremel with a wire wheel and started polishing all the tabs. Question... I have a big *** battery , all the fuses were rated for 32 volts, Is this correct? Unfortunately a few broke and the labeling on the fuse box is corroded so I have no idea of the proper amperage for each fuse or what their for. Im still searching the net for a picture of the fuse box or wiring diagram to go by but its amazing that the only sites that come up are for pay sites.... The work continues!!!

·
MTF user with a big toy
65 Posts
well I got my proofmeter working where it hadn't had a cable on it in years next is to clean up my oil gauge. Also to see if any of you know where I could find a service manual for my 841 I'm finding I'm gonna need one of those before it is overwith seeing as I'm doing a lot of work on the old girl and want to do and learn as much as I can about her.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My brother and I made a set of pallet forks for the 6610.

·
MTF user with a big toy
65 Posts
well today we took oil pan off to see if we might find the cause of the oil pressure problem. First we took off the oil pan and that way we could see just how much gunk was in it. all together about a 1/4 inch of crud and muck was in the bottom of the pan. It consisted of what appeared to be gunk from original put on of pan but you could tell it had been off at least once. I cleaned all the crap out of and off of the oil pan got it basically back to bare metal, took off the retaining cover of the pressure relief valve once off I pulled out the spring and I looked it over. It was a little shorter than the new one and was extremely weak feeling as we could compress it easily. So put new spring new gaskets and new oil and filter. pressure when first starting is a bit over 40 once it warms up good it stays to close to 20. so figure that was probably the main problem.

·
MTF user with a big toy
65 Posts
well today I finally got around to changing out the valve cover gasket as they were letting oil just run out way too much. It looked like it might've been original equipment it was hard as a rock and looked to be rubber, either way, it's changed to a good cork one now. Also painted it while I had it off figured why not. In the morning after I get back from hunting, I'm gonna take a look at that gas cutoff as it was leaking something awful and it's new/ Oh well see ya tomorrow

·
MTF user with a big toy
65 Posts
well seems gas cutoff had a bunch of stuff in the middle part looked like shavings of some type almost looked like it was scrap from when it was made the rubber seal was all chewed up so got another it works wonderfully. Just kinda messed around with it most of the day

·
MTF user with a big toy
65 Posts
well got my ford a pto override clutch used of course but good. Got it home tore it apart cleaned it up really good and surprisingly it was like new. Either way got it cleaned and put back together and then painted it Ford red lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A couple of weeks ago my 2600 hour old 1999 3930 puked a water pump while making the last pass on the right of way. Got it to its home in the woods and got hold of the folks at Messick's on Monday Morning and ordered up a new water pump, hoses, belt, thermostat and radiator cap. They were at the house Tuesday afternoon when I got home. Next time I will just buy the automotive radiator cap and thermostat at a considerable savings...My country property is about 40 miles from my suburbia home so it ends up being roughly an hour each way.
Went to work on Friday of Columbus day weekend. 90 degrees. :tango_face_devil: My 3930 has a FEL on it and I did not really have a good place to disconnect it so I had to up and down on the front drive axle to access all of the stuff. I worked for a couple of hours and got everything unlaced and ready to go to work....for the life of me I could not see :tango_face_glasses:the radiator mounts, so I worked around it adding considerably to access problems.
Saturday was a rain out and I went up for a few hours after Church on Sunday.
Sunday was equally hot. I got the pump out and it rang like a bell when you shook it (bearing and seal shot). Spent an hour cleaning up the yuckem puckey New Holland used in lieu of gaskets on the pump rear plate and the front of the block, assembled the pump and had to leave to get cleaned up for evening church.
Monday--A bit cooler just 88...I'll get er done today.....As I said access sucked and I could not get the rear cover to block gasket to stick to either the block or the back of the pump with what I had there after several tries. Off to auto parts...Napa sometimes has tractor pieces so I asked for a new gasket for the rear cover to the block...got handed a sheet of gasket material. I picked up some brake cleaner and a tube of Permatex anaerobic gasket maker. Round trip to auto parts was something like 1.5 hours. Gasket punches a drill bits to make a new gasket were an hour away (the opposite direction from autoparts) so I took my scraper and cleaned the smeared permatex off of the gasket provided with the pump, which I might add was not particularly well cut. Sprayed the block with brake cleaner to get the grease and oily residue off of the block cleaned the pump, snotted the gasket got it in place and got the pump installed. Considering my late start I was losing light at my primitive no electrical support garage in the woods. Oh well not done.:Disgus:
Thursday night we had Hurricane Michael come for a visit knocking out power and dropping a bunch of tree limbs. No real damage in suburbia but had to manage the generator at the home site on Friday.
Saturday-- got it back together radiator filled and running...NO LEAKS. Only 10 ish hours of work. My Dad's 3910 about 8 years ago ended up being like 5 or 6 hours, but I had light, and was out of the sun and did not have to deal with the FEL and had everything with no additional auto part store trips
Lessons Learned:
1. Figure Out how to get the radiator out of the way.:banghead3
2. Get the FEL off.
3. Have electricity and something better than leaves and dirt to work over.
4. Never forget your magnetic reacher...I did not ...used the heck out of it...it is a life saver.
5. Always have ample amounts of degreaser and appropriate gasket snot on hand.
6. Change the water pump in cooler weather.

·
First Tractor
58 Posts
Still keeping the thread alive!!! Added chains and got the snowthrower hydraulics going, I couldn't afford fancy new valves so when I snowblow I have to disconnect the tilt on my bucket so I can use the lines for the chute instead. After ALL the work I went to start it up and...…….nothing. Barely turns over, not sure if its the battery or alternator, im going to put a post up in the forum for help!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 96 Posts