My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a cool idea I got from another forum I belong to. I'm always fixing things and messing with my lawn boys and its a way for other members to see what you're doing with your fleet.

I replaced the primer bulb and cleaned the air filter on my 10547 today. I also gave it a much needed bath after getting all dirty after sitting all winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
well i leveled my deck and greased the new JDx738. BTW i like that lil push mower, i used to have one kinda like that IDK what it was but it had a 2 stroke on it kinda cool...

·
2 strokes forever!
468 Posts
For the LB 10525 DF, I disassembled the carb to clean all parts, sharpened blade, cleaned the exhaust crossover pipe, and ordered about 4 more carb parts I need to get it going.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,757 Posts
I started using my old commercial D bricktop I reconditioned a few years back. Been a great mower for the past few years and lightweight. Got one lawn mowed and moved on to the other house and started getting a knocking chopping noise hitting bumps. To my dismay I found two of the engine mounting nuts missing and the 3rd loose!. I quickly resolved that issue and replaced the blade with a new one while I was at it. Then as I mowed the dog one left rear wheel came off! LOL. Well that only took a minute to bolt back on and finally I was able to finish the second lawn and an easement area that was well overgrown.

I guess I need to pay more attention to detail with this old 1978 bird. Ive considered starting to use one of my Duraforces but heck I havent even started one of them for at least 3 or 4 years. Even longer for the old M and others sitting collecting rust.

·
LBAD Victim
999 Posts
I
Sold a Lawn Boy 10323
Replaced the air vane, spring, rpm collar, and gaskets on an S21ZPM
Sold a Stihl FS 45
Sold a Yard Man with a Tecumseh
Repaired and sold a Craftsman front wheel drive key start mower.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Today I removed the motor from my 5024 and put it back on it's original, restored deck.
I am making way for a D-409 motor to put on the 19 inch deck so I can have a 5269 series mower.

·
On my way to 1k posts!
689 Posts
I got the 5245 out of the shed and pressure washed it. Gonna try and get it running a little better tomorrow. Ran out of time for the day.

Here's a before picture I'll get an after picture tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
I overseeded the lawn this Spring so I have been avoiding cutting until the new grass grows in. Today I couldn't stand it anymore, I wanted to mow something. I decided to mow the island in the center of the driveway since it wouldn't impact my new seedlings. I pulled the little Briggs walk behind out from it's winter slumber, gassed it up and she started on the first pull (I love that little $20 mower!). I mowed the circle, smelled the fresh cut grass and got my fix. Time to sharpen the blades on the Deere and get ready for a real cut for the Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for keeping us all updated with what you're doing fellas! Don't be afraid to include tech tips or whatever you want in this thread. I spent the afternoon working on a toro super recycler 20475 my dad's friend gave me recently. The blade is rough but I'm gonna try to get rid of the nicks whenever I get a rainy day when I can't cut. I wish it was a suzuki 2 cycle but I don't need another mower so I guess it's good its a Briggs OHV. I'll use it a few times on my yard and sell it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Toro 20611 came out of storage without drama and mowed. The sitdown inhaled an air filter nut. again. This time the head gasket didn't survive. I've had the usual fuel line failures with my 2 stroke weed wacker and Mantis. 15 yr old bulb and tank grommets. Can't really complain. The Mantis was the usual comedy of errors. I got the right grommet now and I re-adjusted carb and throttle cable again after my sister "fixed" it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this is a cool idea I got from another forum I belong to. I'm always fixing things and messing with my lawn boys and its a way for other members to see what you're doing with your fleet.

I replaced the primer bulb and cleaned the air filter on my 10547 today. I also gave it a much needed bath after getting all dirty after sitting all winter.
I sold my 10547 today to fund the 22261 restoration but I made $200 on it so I was happy to let it go to a good owner who will use it more than I will.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Put a new transmission shift cable on my John Deere 14SB. It snapped on me in 1st gear. Talk about slow!

L8R,
Matt

·
5,703 Posts
Well the last couple of mowings with the 5023 Bricktop had me thinking it was running a bit slow and lacking power. Today after I was done mowing 2 lawns I put the mower up on the bench and cleaned the underside of the deck and sharpened and balanced the blade. Removed the muffler and lo and behold the center port was completely blocked and the 2 outer ports were partially blocked. Cleaned them out, put everything back together, and started it up. Making plenty of power now. Just a good reminder that lack of power can be something as simple as not being able to breath. Bill

·
Registered
376 Posts
Received the D-409 engine today and got the bottom end cleaned off. To my surprise the piston had very little scoring and the ports were clean. Great compression though!

The motor was listed as having no spark and it seems like whoever serviced this didn't know their spark plugs. An RJ19LM came with it and the magneto isn't spaced and its rubbing against the flywheel.

Going to wait on the muffler plate and muffler to arrive before I work on the obivious.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I decided to cut part of my lawn this morning before having to do a few other things. Mower part of it yesterday evening but got rained out and had to quit before getting it all done. I use a loafer unit with 24 inch deck that I retrofitted with a Dura-Froce engine. Anyway when I went to start the dura-force engine it would not keep running. I could prime it and it would hit a couple of licks. Puller the carry and found the throttle shaft had worn a oblong hole in the bottom of the air passage and the air vane had been dragging on the shroud mounting plate. Lucky for me had an extra carb. Puller the bowl of of extra care and checked everything out. All seemed to be ok so I installed it on the engine and it worked great. The only problem was it seemed to use a lot of gas. I think I know why... The bowl only had two screws holding it on when I removed it and I only but two back on. I think it may have been leaking. Anyway I will check and see what jets are in it when I pull it back off before using it next week. May pull the jets out of the one I took off and used them as its had been working ok.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,031 Posts
Well I decided to do some preventive maintenance on the F series model 10420 this weekend. Sharpened the blade and hosed it off with the garden hose and also cleaned and oiled the air filter. After letting it run a few minutes to let dry thoroughly it started to sputter like it was running out of fuel. I looked in the tank and it was 3/4 full, now I'm thinking "Oh no, a dirty carb". After tinkering with it sputtering and surging and toying with the carb setting and shutting the fuel on and off with no real effect I shut it down and decided to check a few things. Pulled the carb inlet screen and it was clean as a whistle. I also checked fuel flow to the carb by opening the valve with the fuel line disconnected and fuel flowed freely. At this point I'm leaning toward ignition, but I have my doubts since that coil is only about a year old. Well I got up this morning and decided to put another new chinese coil in there and see what happens and sure enough it was the coil. It took off on first pull and ran perfect after doing slight adjustments. I'm about to the point where I'm willing to pay the big dollars for good quality solid state coils instead of wasting the money on these imports that I can't get to last a couple of seasons (This has been a trend with all my F series mowers...bad coils). The originals from Lawnboy have lasted a long time, up to 16 years on my 1992 model 680543, but these imports have been terrible. I suppose I'm going to have quit buying these cheap coils. Is anyone else having these problems? Does anyone know of a good source for coils that aren't made in China? I don't care if I have to spend triple the money if I get a coil that will last at least 5 or 10 years then I'm happy having spent the extra money. Thanks guys for letting me vent a little this morning.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At this point I'm leaning toward ignition, but I have my doubts since that coil is only about a year old. Well I got up this morning and decided to put another new chinese coil in there and see what happens and sure enough it was the coil. It took off on first pull and ran perfect after doing slight adjustments. I'm about to the point where I'm willing to pay the big dollars for good quality solid state coils instead of wasting the money on these imports that I can't get to last a couple of seasons (This has been a trend with all my F series mowers...bad coils). The originals from Lawnboy have lasted a long time, up to 16 years on my 1992 model 680543, but these imports have been terrible. I suppose I'm going to have quit buying these cheap coils. Is anyone else having these problems? Does anyone know of a good source for coils that aren't made in China? I don't care if I have to spend triple the money if I get a coil that will last at least 5 or 10 years then I'm happy having spent the extra money. Thanks guys for letting me vent a little this morning.
That stinks to hear that you're having coil issues, I've not had them go bad with my F series lawn boys. I'm a firm believer in using OEM parts whenever possible, but $50 for a toro coil is a little overboard in my opinion. I'd also like to know where to find reasonably price replacements that aren't complete junk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts