My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
861 - 880 of 903 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Randy, those are some nice professional looking labels. So many of you guys are always thinking outside the box. Great work!
Thanks man. The color definitely spruces up the black dash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello,
Not exactly what I did to my 3225 today but....................I purchased a Johnson loader off of CL sight unseen other than the pictures posted (paid $300), will pick it up Sat.
No pump or mounting parts. only post, loader arms, bucket, hydro lines/hoses and spool valve. No idea what model Johnson it is; the bucket is 48".
Will post pics once I get it home and then I will start bothering all the smart folks here for help getting it up and running.

·
Registered
Cub Cadet models 3240 & 2165
194 Posts
Hopefully he'll just run the mower deck in the driveway, and that's it. No need to get grass and dirt all over it!
That is my thought exactly, at least for this year. It still needs a little cosmetic work. Repaint the front wheels and take care of the little bit of rust on the floor pan. I think for right now I am ready for a break from it. The cars need some maintenance work so I better get to it and there is more room in the garage with the 3240 in one piece. I found that the deck was quite easy to put on, I used my floor jack to lift the back of the tractor.

Tested the deck and hydraulics, worked as expected.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I think I'm done moving material for this season, so I took the bucket off, and re-mounted the mower deck, so I can cut the grass this weekend.

Man, this is the second time I've put the deck back on, but ironically, it went a lot more easily the first time. I don't know why, but I had a heck of a time getting the mower deck pulled backwards far enough that the pins in the deck could line up with the holes in the hanger links. The pins were too far forward, despite tugging backwards on the deck.

But I can't figure out what I was doing wrong, I had an easier time the first time I did this. Not sure what I did differently this time. The link at the front of the deck was straight, and I tried different heights on the deck-control lever. I eventually got one side hooked (I think it was the right side), then was able to do the other side, but even then, I'm not quite sure what suddenly helped that actually work.

I'd put boards under the sides of the deck, to prop it up to the height of the hanger links. At the end, I also tried shoving one under the rear center of the deck, but I can't see how that's different then having them at the sides. I'd almost like to disconnect it again to try and figure out what I should be doing differently, but it took long enough that I'm not really excited to jump into doing it again :)

I did have the tractor leaning a bit to the side, due to it being across the slight slope in the driveway, maybe that contributed somehow. I could try facing it up/down the incline next time. I also thought about raising the front of the deck, so that the big hanger link at the front would be straighter, letting the deck shift backwards just a little bit more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Picked up the Johnson loader this morning.
First question I paid $300 for it -did I pay too much based on the pics?
Not sure why the hoses are disconnected from spool valve and support post reversed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,512 Posts
Not sure why the hoses are disconnected from spool valve and support post reversed.
No you got a great deal, they are normally in the $1500 range!

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Congrats man. That was an awesome score.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks guys,
I have a deck the wife wants built before I get to start working on the loader project.
Will start a new post in Cub forum for this project once I finish the deck as I will need a lot of advice from all the wise folks here.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I finally touched up my 3240 fender and fixed the dog eared decal. Trimmed it, lifted it and slid a piece of black decal under it after making a wax paper pattern. I'll eventually paint the entire GT but it gets used heavily and gets scratched. This is good enough for now.

Before:

Hood Automotive lighting Light Product Automotive tire

During and after:

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt Road surface
Green World Wood Art Linens
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Car
Aircraft Hood Airplane Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Aircraft Airplane Hood Automotive lighting Aviation
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I have very little context for loaders, but considering that I paid $225 for a manual dump bucket, which is smaller and less capable, with no angle control, and no cylinders, I'd say it looks like you did great! Can't wait to see the process as you start getting it set up and mounted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I finally touched up my 3240 fender and fixed the dog eared decal. Trimmed it, lifted it and slid a piece of black decal under it after making a wax paper pattern. I'll eventually paint the entire GT but it gets used heavily and gets scratched. This is good enough for now.
What did you use in the way of paint ?

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
What did you use in the way of paint ?
I used Majic knowing full well its limitations--slow dry time--lack of durability just because I knew it had the best color match. Van Sickle is a little richer yellow but not the best match

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good find Ken. My 3240 came with hub caps, but they have some pitting. They shined up pretty nice though.
Mine came with rear caps, they are pitted also. I have not tried to clean them up, but they are solid.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

861 - 880 of 903 Posts