My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
841 - 860 of 903 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
The first time I mow it will be green.:)

And yes I see the spots I missed, went back and took care of that. Second coat goes on tomorrow. Kind of not feeling too good from breathing that stuff, going to have to get better ventilation tomorrow!
The deck looks fantastic! But take care of yourself. Your lungs, etc, are more important than the deck :)

Recently I was scraping thick grass gunk off the underside of my deck, in the garage. Some areas were white, I didn't give it any thought, I assumed maybe the grass was decaying. Then that night my throat was scratchy and irritated, and stayed like that for a day or two. I presume I was breathing in a bunch of mold and crap. I even had an N95 nearby, but didn't grab it, because I didn't think there was anything bad going on. I guess sometimes even when we try to be careful, we still don't get it all right.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,972 Posts
The first time I mow it will be green.:)

And yes I see the spots I missed, went back and took care of that. Second coat goes on tomorrow. Kind of not feeling too good from breathing that stuff, going to have to get better ventilation tomorrow!
I highly recommend using a proper paint respirator when you are doing it. Just recently (and again soon), I was painting using Rustoleum 9100 series epoxy paint, using a HVLP gun, and was using a respirator so my lungs were fine, but the overspray really attacked all my exposed skin. I've going to be brush-painting the stuff tomorrow, but still using the respirator, as the vapors will do nasty things to your lungs.

And they aren't that expensive (practically free compared with the cost of new lungs), something like this:
along with cartridges that can handle the vapors the epoxy paint produces.

·
Registered
2004 Cub Cadet GT 3235
72 Posts
Pulled the cooling shroud off today. I think this is MTD's largest flaw on the 3000 series. Removing the battery, unbolting the driveshaft, muffler and engine just to be able to get at the shroud is ridiculous. I remove a mouse nest from at least one tractor a year.

Cub makes a kit to add two removable covers to the shroud. I found the shroud on a GT3200 that already had them (on the right). This is my upgrade for the 3240.
Would you happen to have the part number for the cover? Thanks.

·
Registered
Cub Cadet models 3240 & 2165
194 Posts
I had a friend that was one of the first to use 2 part automotive paints that started back in the mid 70's. I had heard that he had been seen at cancer centers and after that he committed suicide. We worked together and our specialty was corvettes. Had another friend that died of throat cancer and yet another that needed blood transfusions. These guys were not using paint suits with separate air supplies and they were owners of small body shops and self employed.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
@ken4

It is the XT3's seat and top part of the seat base. The 3240's seat hinges bolted right on to it.
Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks, I know that the original seat will not last forever so I am trying to come up with some sort of premature plan for when the time comes. I see this seat for sale and I think it is like the original but the hole pattern is configured differently and it does not say CC. I am thinking I could pull the bead and put it on my original pan but that seat is a bit on the narrow side for me. I am thinking about a different set up that would set a little lower and wider at the same time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was reviewing the work I have done on my 3240 and I was wondering about the clearance when I put the drive shaft in the tractor. Length wise there was barely any so I jacked it up, pulled the rear tires, loosened the rear differential bolts, used some clamps to pull the assembly back and tightened it there. It gave me maybe .030 more clearance than it had using the clearance in the bolt holes. The book says if it has more than 1/8" clearance to shim it. Just trying to make sure that there was not excess pressure on the engine or pump.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Installed the new starter I ordered from All States Ag Parts, just need to get a battery and try it out.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is on the 383? We need a whole tractor picture and description when you post. I can't remember everyone's machine(s) 😁
Yes this was on the 383, I also put a new battery in it and dragged it out of the shop for a bath.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Tree

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I made some decal labels for my 3205 PTO and Brake out of car wrap vinyl, stenciled, and covered with packing tape to protect the lettering. Came out pretty good--or good enough for me anyways. I did the throttle and choke a few weeks ago.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Tire
Wood Rectangle Material property Font Gun barrel
Rectangle Font Material property Gas Handwriting
Handwriting Tile flooring Flooring Font Rectangle
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Looks factory fresh and ready to serve you for a lifetime

Reactions: ken4

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Wow, Ken, it looks fantastic! I'll bet they wished they looked that good when coming off the factory floor.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Yeah Ken4, I can’t believe you plan to take that piece of “mower art” out and get it all scratched up and dirty!
Hopefully he'll just run the mower deck in the driveway, and that's it. No need to get grass and dirt all over it!

841 - 860 of 903 Posts