My Tractor Forum banner
661 - 680 of 703 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Changed out the 4 dreaded bolts, 2.75 long grade 8 with a jam nut and red loctite. It had black grade 8 with loctite but they were not all that tight and were not hard to get out. It is in good shape, so just seals and bolts for this project. I do not have a work bench with a a vice so it was a challenge to find a way to hold it for tightening. B440 gave me the idea on how to hold it for putting the smaller half of the case on. Ready for some paint now.

View attachment 2513174

View attachment 2513175

View attachment 2513176

View attachment 2513178
You're doing awesome work on that thing Ken. I don't remember if you've done it but one spot that needs attention on these is where the steering shaft goes into the box.

The grease is dried out to paste. I took my 3205's apart because the steering was binding and put new grease in it. I also did a BFB in the tilt mechanism because that's where my binding was happening.

·
Registered
Cub Cadet models 3240 & 2165
98 Posts
You're doing awesome work on that thing Ken. I don't remember if you've done it but one spot that needs attention on these is where the steering shaft goes into the box.

The grease is dried out to paste. I took my 3205's apart because the steering was binding and put new grease in it. I also did a BFB in the tilt mechanism because that's where my binding was happening.

When I was doing the battery box project I kind of accidentally found that the steering shaft was splined under that rubber boot and it was a little rusty so I cleaned it up and gave it a good application of anti seize compound. I think that is what you mean. I would like to find a complete tilt assembly and install it on my 3240 if it was reasonably priced and in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
When I was doing the battery box project I kind of accidentally found that the steering shaft was splined under that rubber boot and it was a little rusty so I cleaned it up and gave it a good application of anti seize compound. I think that is what you mean. I would like to find a complete tilt assembly and install it on my 3240 if it was reasonably priced and in good shape.
Mine had dried up grease right here. I cleaned it out and put red grease in it.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Reactions: B440

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Recently I noticed that the "anti-sway bar" on my tractor was loose. The nuts at both ends were backed-off a fair bit. The service manual doesn't say anything about leaving them loose (which would have seemed pretty weird).

I got it tightened up last night. I mowed tonight, and I hoped this would take care of the weird "jingling" noise that I hear sometimes. Sadly, the noise is still there.

I'm not certain if it happens with the blades turned off, but at least with the blades on, I'll hear a metallic jingling type of sound when I have the wheel turned fairly-far left or right. I don't notice it when going basically straight. After finishing, I shut it down, and felt items up front on the deck, and the steering rods. I couldn't find anything loose.

I may need to have my wife sit in the seat so I can check around the deck, with everything running, and see if I can figure out the noise. But after an operation a few years ago, I'm deaf on one side, so locating sounds is difficult. Making stuff like this a lot harder.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
I find using a mechanics stethoscope helps locating where a sound is coming from, particularly around other noisy things.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Thanks Dave. Yeah, I have one of those around somewhere, I was planning to give that a try. Hopefully that can help narrow things down.

·
Super Moderator
37,134 Posts
The other day I started playing in the mud. Thinking about making a small pond at the lowest point of the property.

I made a pass with the tiller and then proceeded to plow out the loose dirt. It's hard to see but to the left there is a small stream that funnels most of the water running through my land. I stopped because I nearly got stuck, even with the diff lock engaged. You can see the only way out was forward.

Well, today I went back and tried to get stuck again. Mission accomplished!

I had to enlist the 1864 and my helper to get the 3240 out of the mud hole, which is slowly filling in with water from the stream.

At least I found the bottom, which is gravel. So I either need to hand-shovel, or wait until everything dries out a bit.
If at first you don't succeed! Can't say you're a quitter! :)

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
I acquired it. Just bought a XTI LT 42. To be delivered Thursday. Hope it serves me as long as the L110 its replacing
Awesome, congratulations! I hope it gives you many years of good service. Enjoy it! We do always welcome pictures, once it arrives...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine had dried up grease right here. I cleaned it out and put red grease in it.
When you say red grease do you mean the "Red and Tacky" stuff that comes in the grease cartridge. Lucas is one of the makers of it and it is what I have been using.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
When you say red grease do you mean the "Red and Tacky" stuff that comes in the grease cartridge. Lucas is one of the makers of it and it is what I have been using.
I can't remember if I pumped grease in or used some red wheel bearing grease I had on the shelf in it. Any grease would be fine. Any is better than the 20 year old dried up paste in there.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My cat 1 drawbar with sleeve hitch adapter came in today.

I tested it out with the box blade.

It's a keeper, and one of the keys to making the 3240 my only tractor for garden duties. The 1864 (with plow and sleeve hitch) is slowly being relieved of all operations. The adapter lets me continue using the box blade, moldboard plow, and ripper. I'm not ready to buy those implements all over again in 3pt form.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Recently I noticed that the "anti-sway bar" on my tractor was loose. The nuts at both ends were backed-off a fair bit. The service manual doesn't say anything about leaving them loose (which would have seemed pretty weird).

I got it tightened up last night. I mowed tonight, and I hoped this would take care of the weird "jingling" noise that I hear sometimes. Sadly, the noise is still there.

I'm not certain if it happens with the blades turned off, but at least with the blades on, I'll hear a metallic jingling type of sound when I have the wheel turned fairly-far left or right. I don't notice it when going basically straight. After finishing, I shut it down, and felt items up front on the deck, and the steering rods. I couldn't find anything loose.

I may need to have my wife sit in the seat so I can check around the deck, with everything running, and see if I can figure out the noise. But after an operation a few years ago, I'm deaf on one side, so locating sounds is difficult. Making stuff like this a lot harder.
Thanks Dave. Yeah, I have one of those around somewhere, I was planning to give that a try. Hopefully that can help narrow things down.
Hey RO did you find where the "jingling" noise is coming from? I have the same exact issue on my XT3 and also tightened the anti sway bar which didn't help, was thinking it maybe the hydro disconnect lever as it appears to just wobble around.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Hey RO did you find where the "jingling" noise is coming from? I have the same exact issue on my XT3 and also tightened the anti sway bar which didn't help, was thinking it maybe the hydro disconnect lever as it appears to just wobble around.
I haven't dug into it further yet, no. I'm sorry you have the noise too, but at least maybe I'm not crazy :) And hopefully we can help figure this out, if it's the same cause.

It's an interesting idea, though in my case, I suspect it's not the hydro bypass lever that I'm hearing. I actually have that lever kind of tied-down at the moment, while investigating something else. So it's a little more secured. And jiggling that lever around, a few minutes ago, it sounds like a "larger" noise than what I've been hearing. Admittedly, with the sleeve hitch frame on the tractor, that adds a larger plate than usual, for that lever to bang against. When I check on this more closely, I'll try securing the bypass lever with something, so it can't rattle around.

Was your anti-sway bar actually loose, like you could move it around by hand? Mine definitely was, though it looks like it has nylock nuts on it. I'm curious why both sides would have loosened up, on mine. I suppose I should re-check them after a bit, to see if they've loosened again. I'm not really sure what that bar is supposed to do, it seems to connect from the left side of the frame, to a mount on the transmission. I wouldn't have expected much movement between those two in the first place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pulled the deck raising stuff out, cleaned it and put it back in. Painted the cylinder while it was out and went through the spool valve. None of the hydraulic line fittings had the backer O rings but I put them in when I reassembled the valve. Nothing seemed to be leaking so I only replaced the O rings I had apart. Brushed on a good coat of oil based paint on the differential. Won't be long and that will be going back in.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I haven't dug into it further yet, no. I'm sorry you have the noise too, but at least maybe I'm not crazy :) And hopefully we can help figure this out, if it's the same cause.

It's an interesting idea, though in my case, I suspect it's not the hydro bypass lever that I'm hearing. I actually have that lever kind of tied-down at the moment, while investigating something else. So it's a little more secured. And jiggling that lever around, a few minutes ago, it sounds like a "larger" noise than what I've been hearing. Admittedly, with the sleeve hitch frame on the tractor, that adds a larger plate than usual, for that lever to bang against. When I check on this more closely, I'll try securing the bypass lever with something, so it can't rattle around.

Was your anti-sway bar actually loose, like you could move it around by hand? Mine definitely was, though it looks like it has nylock nuts on it. I'm curious why both sides would have loosened up, on mine. I suppose I should re-check them after a bit, to see if they've loosened again. I'm not really sure what that bar is supposed to do, it seems to connect from the left side of the frame, to a mount on the transmission. I wouldn't have expected much movement between those two in the first place.
Yeah my anti sway bar was loose also and I'm not sure what purpose it serves either. Mine did not have nylock nuts that I remember but I tightened both all the way. Maybe we'll figure out the cause of the jingle but it is annoying for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
That's using your noggin for something besides a hat rack. Looking good.

661 - 680 of 703 Posts