641 - 660 of 703 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
Cub Cadet models 3240 & 2165
98 Posts
Did they charge you for the revised decals?
I told them up front I would pay to have a "correct" set made and the president of the company revised them himself. They sent them to me at no charge. I like these better than the smaller ones, they are more pronounced and correct. My machine identification sticker on the front frame fell off so I scanned it and sent the file to a place to replicate it but not looking too good so far.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Getting started on the back now. I wonder what I will find with the 4 ring gear bolts. I flushed the gas tank and the sending unit seal was falling apart and the pick up grommet was loose, no wonder I smelled gas. Looks funny to me with nothing on the back, took the steering wheel off so I would not accidentally pump fluid over the floor. So far I do not see any evidence of Bubba working in this area and I am hoping that the speed damper is in good shape, another pricey part.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Getting started on the back now. I wonder what I will find with the 4 ring gear bolts. I flushed the gas tank and the sending unit seal was falling apart and the pick up grommet was loose, no wonder I smelled gas. Looks funny to me with nothing on the back, took the steering wheel off so I would not accidentally pump fluid over the floor. So far I do not see any evidence of Bubba working in this area and I am hoping that the speed damper is in good shape, another pricey part.

View attachment 2512689

View attachment 2512691
My bolts were loc-tited and tight. I recommend you make a video going all around the rear before tearing it apart. Especially take not of the hoses and fitting routing angles. Saved me some grief on mine. The video was worth more than 100pics.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I told them up front I would pay to have a "correct" set made and the president of the company revised them himself. They sent them to me at no charge. I like these better than the smaller ones, they are more pronounced and correct. My machine identification sticker on the front frame fell off so I scanned it and sent the file to a place to replicate it but not looking too good so far.
Sticker Mule is making me a new machine identification sticker and the proof looked good. $9 When I get it I will post a picture.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
That's why I used my HF mower lift on mine.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I used my motorcycle lift on the transaxle. And for opening it up, I put the hub and tire on one side and stood it up on end.

Someone had already put grade eight bolts with red locktite into the differential. Makes me wonder if there was a previous catastrophic failure? The previous owner never mentioned anything of the diff.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The other day I started playing in the mud. Thinking about making a small pond at the lowest point of the property.

I made a pass with the tiller and then proceeded to plow out the loose dirt. It's hard to see but to the left there is a small stream that funnels most of the water running through my land. I stopped because I nearly got stuck, even with the diff lock engaged. You can see the only way out was forward.

Well, today I went back and tried to get stuck again. Mission accomplished!

I had to enlist the 1864 and my helper to get the 3240 out of the mud hole, which is slowly filling in with water from the stream.

At least I found the bottom, which is gravel. So I either need to hand-shovel, or wait until everything dries out a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
The other day I started playing in the mud. Thinking about making a small pond at the lowest point of the property.
Oh that is so cool! The tiller looks like it's doing great! Impressive that you got stuck despite the tires and diff lock, though. Thank goodness you had a helper with their own tractor! Can't wait to see how the process develops.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Fun stuff playing in the mud. Nice job getting stuck. Couldn't have done it better myself.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing the transmission pics! And please keep it up, if you wouldn't mind. There's a lot to learn about these and their guts.

Mine is basically an XT3, so a later, lesser tractor. But recently I found (with my ATV tires) that if I floor the pedal at full throttle, with my ripper tooth dropped low and stuck on something, I just got a bunch of transmission noise, but did not spin a tire. With only 85 hours on the tractor (and giving it a tranny oil & filter change last year after buying it with 65 hours), that surprised me. It has a BDU-10L hydro, rather than the stronger BDU-21L in the 3000-series.

I got a video of the noise, as I'm not sure what sounds normal vs not.

And I don't know if there's a way to test the hydro somehow (eg- hook up a pressure gauge and see what pressure it can generate). So my very-crude evaluation is that it didn't spin a tire, with the implement dug in. It seems fine and strong otherwise, no strange-to-me noises or anything.

But now I've started wondering if I maybe I need to remove and disassemble the hydro after this season. I really don't want to do that, but I also want to make sure the tractor is pulling the way it should. I slid underneath and made sure that the bypass-relief button is sticking out all the way.

Reading quickly through the service manual about removing the transmission & hydro, oof, that doesn't sound like fun. This doesn't sound like a trivial undertaking, and certainly not something I want to do just because. But I don't know how else to evaluate how it's performing. I don't know if an XT3 should be able to spin more-aggressive tires in grass, with the implement stuck. I would imagine that it should be able to spin one.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
I'll hook my XT3 to a tree and see if it spins.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Thanks Steve. I had done that test last year, it spun a tire. I'll have to repeat the test and see what happens. Maybe once the ground dries out a bit (it's been a very soggy July so far, has rained almost every day).

Just in case that's different than having an implement down in the ground. I had the ripper down low, down in a depression, when it hooked on something solid. So when I was pulling, maybe it was also pulling the back of the tractor down, effectively acting like ballast, and adding grip.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Thanks Steve. I had done that test last year, it spun a tire. I'll have to repeat the test and see what happens. Maybe once the ground dries out a bit (it's been a very soggy July so far, has rained almost every day).

Just in case that's different than having an implement down in the ground. I had the ripper down low, down in a depression, when it hooked on something solid. So when I was pulling, maybe it was also pulling the back of the tractor down, effectively acting like ballast, and adding grip.
I did notice on my XT3 when pulling a gravel drag it had a ton of grip with the deck on. I couldn't believe what it could do. It was dragging the 200lb drag with at least 200+lbs of gravel heaped up on it w/o spinning the tires--no diff lock.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings All,

I had to replace the PTO belt on my 2017 XT3, 54" deck. Greased ever fitting. I am wondering how much clearance should be between the belt keeper and the front right mule drive pulley? I feel like I hear that pulley rubbing against the frame somewhat.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
I did notice on my XT3 when pulling a gravel drag it had a ton of grip with the deck on. I couldn't believe what it could do. It was dragging the 200lb drag with at least 200+lbs of gravel heaped up on it w/o spinning the tires--no diff lock.
Interesting, that's good to know. I do have the 48" fabbed deck mounted. I'm only 150, so not terribly effective ballast, but my guess would that the deck is probably around that weight too.

Admittedly, my "test" was a bit flawed, in the sense that I was pulling against a big rock, or something that simply was not going to move. So it doesn't really show whether the tractor can pull "hard enough" for most things. But still, I hoped it would have enough torque to spin a tire.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Changed out the 4 dreaded bolts, 2.75 long grade 8 with a jam nut and red loctite. It had black grade 8 with loctite but they were not all that tight and were not hard to get out. It is in good shape, so just seals and bolts for this project. I do not have a work bench with a a vice so it was a challenge to find a way to hold it for tightening. B440 gave me the idea on how to hold it for putting the smaller half of the case on. Ready for some paint now.

641 - 660 of 703 Posts