My Tractor Forum banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,018 Posts
Had manure delivered to the main garden last weekend and figured I should get it tilled in sooner rather than later so it has time to settle.

Used the 1864 to move four trailer loads to the lower field. The wife usually plants corn and/or sunflowers in this field.

Today I spread manure in both fields on the 3240. Love that diff lock!

Previously, I used to use the 1864, and a JD 212 (sold in 2020) before that, but they would get stuck spinning one tire if I wasn't careful about approaching the pile.

Older pic of the 212 getting ready to spread and till in the lower field.

Up next: Tilling! The 1864 will retain this duty for now because it has the sleeve hitch.
Awesome to see those GTs work.

Reactions: B440

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
That's awesome! Impressive how hard the 3240 was pushing, that it's spinning the diff-locked tires which also have weights, and AG tires on them!

That is quite a setup you have, with a heavy-duty plow, and also the tilling tractor. Very cool, thanks for posting the pics and videos! It's fun to see them in action. Seeing this stuff makes me wish I had paid closer attention to the few 3xxx series machines that get listed around here. Clearly, they are very capable. Though the ones I would see always seemed to be in somewhat rough shape, at least cosmetically.

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Had manure delivered to the main garden last weekend and figured I should get it tilled in sooner rather than later so it has time to settle.

Used the 1864 to move four trailer loads to the lower field. The wife usually plants corn and/or sunflowers in this field.

Today I spread manure in both fields on the 3240. Love that diff lock!

Previously, I used to use the 1864, and a JD 212 (sold in 2020) before that, but they would get stuck spinning one tire if I wasn't careful about approaching the pile.

Older pic of the 212 getting ready to spread and till in the lower field.

Up next: Tilling! The 1864 will retain this duty for now because it has the sleeve hitch.
You use a Lot of Manure for such a small Garden
But I can see why Your soil isn't that nice Black stuff we have in the Midwest
Hey You Might want to Invest In one of these Shop Online – Newer Spreader or this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-compact-manure-spreader (y)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Second cut today... good to get some seat time.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I got mine out of the shed, and swapped its position with the snowblowers. So spring is officially arriving. It was fun to get it fired up, and drive it around for a few minutes. We're not at mowing time yet, but it'll be coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You use a Lot of Manure for such a small Garden
But I can see why Your soil isn't that nice Black stuff we have in the Midwest
Hey You Might want to Invest In one of these Shop Online – Newer Spreader or this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-compact-manure-spreader (y)
My wife uses the manure throughout the yard in all of her various plant boxes, fruit trees and bushes. She doesn't like to work with straight manure, so the main garden is where the majority gets tilled in and then moved to all the other locations.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Put the 1864 in the garden today. The tiller needed a bolt and some silicone on the fuel tank before I could run it.

I also tilled the lower field. I've removed many rocks over the years so the tiller doesn't bounce around very much and I can go a bit faster.

The sleeve hitch tiller operated flawlessly this year. Probably because of the modifications I've made previously:
New carburetor, new kevlar belt, new fuel line and filter, new muffler, extra weights.

It works pretty well for its purpose. The only things I don't like are the fuel tank placement (gets in the way at full lift), and it's not wide enough sitting behind the Cub.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Nice, that is quite the setup! Not being familiar with them, is that kind of a Franken-tiller, or is it meant to work with your tractor? I see you have a winch to raise/lower it.

That sure seems like a nice way to till! I've never gotten to use a real one, but I got a little Mantis last summer. I have to laugh at the fact that you're probably clearing a path 5 times as wide as mine, and maybe going 5 times as fast. In a single pass that took you about a minute, you did an area that would probably take mine 20 minutes or something, and it would be struggling against me the whole time.

That is pretty awesome. I'm sure there is definitely appeal to tillers that use the tractor's engine. But those become very specific, and may require a more-involved installation. Something that hangs off the back, and has its own powerplant, must have a lot of appeal.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Nice, that is quite the setup! Not being familiar with them, is that kind of a Franken-tiller, or is it meant to work with your tractor? I see you have a winch to raise/lower it.

That sure seems like a nice way to till! I've never gotten to use a real one, but I got a little Mantis last summer. I have to laugh at the fact that you're probably clearing a path 5 times as wide as mine, and maybe going 5 times as fast. In a single pass that took you about a minute, you did an area that would probably take mine 20 minutes or something, and it would be struggling against me the whole time.

That is pretty awesome. I'm sure there is definitely appeal to tillers that use the tractor's engine. But those become very specific, and may require a more-involved installation. Something that hangs off the back, and has its own powerplant, must have a lot of appeal.
It's a sleeve hitch tiller. OEM design. Mine is an AYP, model TS200. I used to use this Gilson rear tine.

But it moved too fast with the wheels driving it, so I was always holding it back. You could move two pins to unhook the wheels from the drive axles, and that worked a little better, but I still had to man-handle it, and by the time I finished both gardens, I was beat. Really beat, as in 3-5 days recovery time on the ol' back and shoulders.

And yes it was still slow, so it took most of a Saturday morning. The sleeve hitch tiller is fast and has me looking for other things to till after I finish :D . I actually tilled the compost pile after doing the two gardens.

I also have a Mantis-style tiller for the corners and small areas. I think everyone should have one of those. They're awesome.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My wife uses the manure throughout the yard in all of her various plant boxes, fruit trees and bushes. She doesn't like to work with straight manure, so the main garden is where the majority gets tilled in and then moved to all the other locations.
Interesting to see the Craftsman hood modification. Is that from an FF series?

Most importantly, do you happen to have the side panels?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did another valve cover gasket , and took off the rear tire chains on the mighty CC 1045 machine . lol.
Also did some greasing .
For better or worse she is ready to mow.
Now to do the same for my moms identical tractor that i use at her place , OHHH JOY

·
Registered
27 Posts
New to forum. I recently picked up a 3225 for cheap that is in need of some TLC.
Over the last couple days I have been working on the 48" mower deck.
Pulled spindles; cleaned replaced bearings, seals and blades.
Replaced all rollers, roll pins and bushings on the rear and front.
Caster wheels were in need of new spindles and bushings. I ground out the spindles and replaced with new grade 8 bolts that were longer so threads extend beyond bushings also welded a grade 8 washer to upper surface of caster arm to repair wear.
The height adjust mounts had significant wear to adjustment holes, so I welded up using 1/2" copper rod to keep the 1/2" hole. Added doubler and back drilled holes.
I welded in sleeves on the caster arms so they can be clamped with bolts and eliminated clevis pins.
The front roller bracket was well wore so I welded up the slots and added a doubler.
Replaced the bushings in the caster wheels with flange bearings.
Sand blasted, painted and reassembled.
I am ready for the bashing of my welding skilles
Next project will be rebuilding the Fan Assist Bagger which is a basket case.

·
Super Moderator
7,018 Posts
New to forum. I recently picked up a 3225 for cheap that is in need of some TLC.
Over the last couple days I have been working on the 48" mower deck.
Pulled spindles; cleaned replaced bearings, seals and blades.
Replaced all rollers, roll pins and bushings on the rear and front.
Caster wheels were in need of new spindles and bushings. I ground out the spindles and replaced with new grade 8 bolts that were longer so threads extend beyond bushings also welded a grade 8 washer to upper surface of caster arm to repair wear.
The height adjust mounts had significant wear to adjustment holes, so I welded up using 1/2" copper rod to keep the 1/2" hole. Added doubler and back drilled holes.
I welded in sleeves on the caster arms so they can be clamped with bolts and eliminated clevis pins.
The front roller bracket was well wore so I welded up the slots and added a doubler.
Replaced the bushings in the caster wheels with flange bearings.
Sand blasted, painted and reassembled.
I am ready for the bashing of my welding skilles
Next project will be rebuilding the Fan Assist Bagger which is a basket case. View attachment 2497873 View attachment 2497874 View attachment 2497875 View attachment 2497876 View attachment 2497878 View attachment 2497879 View attachment 2497880
Glad to have another 3000 series fan on here. I will be doing some similar work on my 48" deck at some point in the future. On the welding: Got to learn somehow. Practice and YT videos will help a bunch but there's always the saying "A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't."

Doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it's burnt in good and holds.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and nice work! Sounds like a bit of a project so far, but I'm glad you're making progress.

I was scratching my head for a sec trying to figure out how you were welding copper rod, then I figured out that it was keeping the hole open as you welded around it. That's a cool trick, I'll have to remember that. Aluminum is easier for me to come by, I could turn down a short piece of rod if I needed to do something like that.

·
Super Moderator
7,018 Posts
I got my 3240 differential halves put together with a new spur gear, new seals, case halves sealed and torqued. I put my XT3 thru its paces mowing today. Shot a video of one lap then realized it's only ~ 1/2 of what I mow. Some is brush hogged and this vid represents ~2/3 of what I finish mow with the XT3.

Reactions: blsnelling

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
If anyone is looking for a Cub tiller in MA, this one is new old stock, he says it's for a 2000-series. It's belt driven, he's asking $20 for the tiller, and $20 for the assorted box of mounts that he also has.

If it fit your tractor, seems like a pretty killer deal.

NOS cub cadet 2000 series tiller

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last few days have been good, Instslled the deck.
I rebuilt the original spool valve on the 3225 and 2 others. Installed the original and another for the 3 point. Found out why the new lines the previous owner installed were leaking - he installed them without O-rings. Installed lines,cylinder for 3 point and hardware for the 3 point. Tires needed updating so installed ag tires on all 4 corners. Now I am tired.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,018 Posts
Fantastic man. Love the ags and 3pt. Looks like a beast.

481 - 500 of 515 Posts