My Tractor Forum banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mowed with it for the first time, I'll need a few more mows to find the most efficient pattern. Only ran out of gas and had to run into town for more once.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Slapped a fresh air filter on Dad's MY2015 XT2 with 21.5 Kohler. The other day he had me do an oil change on it. He picked up an oil filter based on packaging saying "fits cub 14-27hp. Wasn't exactly right, was close enough. After seeing the filter, I guided him to tech specs for which oil was right. Upon seeing his dusty crusty air filter... I found out he didn't think it needed one. I ordered it via Amazon and refuse to let him buy parts ever again.

Last week a buddy scored a MY2006 GT1554, non running. We got it fired up and it's in decent shape, freed up the spindles etc. It needs more love, likely he's not going to do much beyond abuse it. Such a shame.

Since nothing is real without pictures. Here's a few. I put the air filter down for that picture and that much dirt came out.

Attachments

·
Herds of mowers and dogs
8 Posts
I turned my LT1018 into an LT1024. Dad's LT1018 had 725 hrs on it. It was always garaged and kept clean. The one lung 18 hp engine was trashed one day last summer. Although, I wasn't the operator when it happened, I did feel somewhat responsible for that happening and set out to correct the problem. Not being real fond of the single cylinder engines in the first place, I set out to repower it. Spent the fall and winter researching and discovered there are not a lot of differences in the LT1000 series Cubs. Long story short. I bought a rough looking LT1024 the other day with a good motor and a very bad mower deck. Faced with a decision to swap mower decks or swap engines. Almost all of the Cub frame and body part numbers matched up. So what's the difference. The 1018 has the mower's idler pulley and belt tensioning device mounted on the mower frame, whereas the 1024 has a three blade deck with the belt tensioner on the deck itself. The V twin engine had different mounting dimensions. Since the hoods were the same, I was convinced the engine swap was entirely possible. Took about 6 hours to swap engine, wiring harness, choke and throttle cables, electric clutch, and the plenum under the hood. Basically, it's now an LT1024 with a 42" deck. Looks like new and runs great. A little overpowered but, that's not a problem. Next step will be to see if I can find a good 50" deck to put on it without having to remove the mower drive belt tensioner from the frame. Very please with the outcome. Put a smile on Dad's face too!

·
Herds of mowers and dogs
8 Posts
Weather turned cold today and there were Easter activities to tend to. I'll get it out and take pics to post in a day or so. Haven't done that on here yet, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 98 got a new set of tires today ......glad that's over since it took me 3 hours........but then washed and waxed in the picture. Now tomorrow deck off, new blades came in today as well as deck belt...so while that's getting done off to the garden :tango_face_grin: celebrating 360 hours of use.....

Attachments

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
The GT2544 hit 700 hours today...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dads's 2015 XT2.. said he wanted to do blades. As soon as it was on the ramps, I backed it down pulled the deck and said "stop mowing when it's wet!" His two blades had so much build up between them, you'd think he had a mulching setup.

Cleaned deck and replaced blades

·
Herds of mowers and dogs
8 Posts
Have to say that repowering the single cylinder LT1018 with the 24 HP V-twin has worked out well. Now I'm catching a little wind for having too many junk mowers sitting around. The LT1024 Cadet left over after that project had no power and the 50 inch deck was junk. What to do now? Well, here sat that "Yard Machine" with hydro and steering problems. The motor on it was an 18.5 HP industrial/commercial opposed twin flathead Briggs. Had no idea if it would fit and there were concerns about fuel delivery since you sit over the fuel tank on a Cub while the "Yard Machine" appeared to use gravity flow. I started looking for way to connect a fuel pump and this closer look indicated that the engine would die if the fuel tank level on the yard machine dropped below 1/2 tank. Since then, I discovered that this engine has a downdraft carb with built in fuel pump capable of priming fuel as high as 18", so there's no need to add a fuel pump. So, let's try it. The hydro drive pulley and the electric clutch I took off the original LT1018's motor fit right on the engine perfectly. Today, I will be turning it over and getting the tractor to move. I'll concentrate on the deck after that. Looks like I will be bolting mounts and wheels from the original 50" deck onto the 46" Yard Machine deck. Once it fits and works right, I'll go ahead and weld things up. It'll be a mutt, but hard to tell unless you lift the hood and know what to look for.

·
Make Better Mowers
1,968 Posts
Not acturally today, but about a week ago. I sold my last Cub Cadet GT2550. After having repowered it, adding rear bumper, oil cooler and all I realized that if I kept it, I'd have to purchase a new deck. The deck held up just as well as the 2146 I bought new in about 2000. Having purchased a 1994 John Deere LX 178 nearly ten years ago and seeing that the deck has held up so well, I decided to go all Deere now. I purchased a 1998 JD 445 and am loving it! Sorry Cubbers, but in the name of sanity it had to be done. Both Cubs were good to me, but the sorrowful decks made me leave.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Got my GT2544 a stablemate! I picked up a 1998 Wheel Horse 312-8 with 445 hours on it with 44" deck. Kohler Command 12.5. I changed the clutch pulley and did some fluid maintenance... AG's and new front tires are on order.

Gave my GT2544 some seat time rolling down the mole tunnels and the roll pin for the deck lift on the left side backed out just enough to allow the left side of the deck to drag on the ground. Pulled the hitch plate and was able to hammer it back in. Got me around 175 hours now on my Cub.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Not today but a couple of days ago our local tire shop mounted the 2 new 4 ply frt. turf tires w/tubes on the wheels then I put it all back together. As soon as the weather clears I'll mow a single pass over the few leaves that have fallen, sweep them up then start putting them around the house and in flower beds for mulch. The leaves have really cut down my trimming time for sure.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Got my GT2544 a stablemate! I picked up a 1998 Wheel Horse 312-8 with 445 hours on it with 44" deck. Kohler Command 12.5. I changed the clutch pulley and did some fluid maintenance... AG's and new front tires are on order.

Gave my GT2544 some seat time rolling down the mole tunnels and the roll pin for the deck lift on the left side backed out just enough to allow the left side of the deck to drag on the ground. Pulled the hitch plate and was able to hammer it back in. Got me around 175 hours now on my Cub.
Lucky You! The Wheel Horse will complete My tractor collection. But I am always Looking for a 312H or a 314H as I want Hydraulic Lift,

It kind of funny I already Have a Clevis Hitch(sleeve Hitch) for it. But Not the tractor :tango_face_grin:

I would really like to find a 312H, 314H, 416H or a 520H close by. But In my neck of the woods Nobody is ever selling there Wheel Horses There all for sale In Pennsylvania or out east or Far southern Indiana.

So a Belated congratulations on the Wheel Horse :thThumbsU

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lucky You! The Wheel Horse will complete My tractor collection. But I am always Looking for a 312H or a 314H as I want Hydraulic Lift,

It kind of funny I already Have a Clevis Hitch(sleeve Hitch) for it. But Not the tractor :tango_face_grin:

I would really like to find a 312H, 314H, 416H or a 520H close by. But In my neck of the woods Nobody is ever selling there Wheel Horses There all for sale In Pennsylvania or out east or Far southern Indiana.

So a Belated congratulations on the Wheel Horse :thThumbsU
Thanks! I love my 312! On the hunt for a plow now. Got it some Carlisle TruPowers and new turf fronts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

201 - 220 of 242 Posts