My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 4071 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This thread will be a place for people to talk about what they did to their Gravelys or work they did with their Gravelys. Anything from changing the oil to plowing an entire field. Pics are certainly welcome!

I'll start:

Today I changed the oil with Pennzoil 10w30 and a Motorcraft FL-1A filter on my 1948 L.

I also received my cooling shrouds from Richard's Lawn and Garden. I plan on installing them tomorrow and cleaning out the carb.

I also bought a new muffler off a Gravely rider, its a bit larger so it should quiet the tractor down a bit.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Anyone else can jump in. :trink39:

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Fired up my 1963 LI for the first time in a few months. The needle and seat was leaking in the carb (gas shut off on the tank doesn't work) so the intake tube filled up with gas. Unhooked the intake tube and it started up very easily for the 30 degree weather we're having. Just put the dog eater on it so I'm ready for snow.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I reassembled the carb and put the head back on my L8 repair project. Pix later after I get them uploaded.

Then I got out the C8 with duals and the cart and collected a pile of kindling for starting fires.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Picked up a Wisconsin-powered L today but no time to do anything with it yet. Should be a fun project when I get around to it.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Lindey has her Christmas open house Saturday night. So it's all hands on deck for that. I did manage to slip out for a minute and back the Terramite into the shop so I could change out the throttle cable. I hope to get it replaced Sunday and maybe dig a hole to plant a pine tree. That was my day......

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Well all 2-wheelers so far. I got my 20G out today and took it for a short spin just to keep it moving. The Hydraulic lift is not working and it is the next item I must solve. I found no jam in any of the linkage. I have read 3 threads about G hydraulics systems and reviewed all pages in the service manual and IPL regarding the hydraulics. no where have i found a lay out anything specific to do as trouble shooting.

I took a few pictures of the system, went to my local Advance Auto store which had no match of any kind for my filter. I guess i will get proper oil - that was specified in the service manual - and make sure the level is where it should be, using the old filter/reservoir for now.

If it works that will mean oil has all leaked out somewhere and that may make evident where the leak is. Any path to follow is welcomed.

The first 3 pics are as follows:
1. lever in Raise position
2. lever in Lower position position
3. lever in Float position

That little ring (bushing) around the shaft that is moved in and out of the valve by the movement of the handle, seems to be floating around on there. Is it supposed to?

The single pic on the second line is a view of the filter/reservoir. The parts store came up with the number on it and several cross-ref #s but was not able to special order any of them.

The bottom 3 pics are views of the cylinder. Does anyone see anything, i am not seeing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Bought an L cylinder off eBay.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Was that you who out-bid me? Glad it's going to a good home...
Ha ha, sorry. :) I can't believe it went that low.

·
Long-time Gravely fan
216 Posts
Canary Al,

I don't post often but this thread should help:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=160465&highlight=

In my thread about my hydraulic pump repair, there's a link to another thread that should work as well. Bottom line, it is very possible you have the same problem (my recollection is your 20G was one that had the pump driven off the transmission). I couldn't figure out what was going on except that the fluid kept disappearing but not leaking from any of the fittings or components up front or at the pump. From your pics, your hoses/fittings look dry as well. If you pull off the filter and are low -- you can refill with Dexron, put the filter back on and see if that gets your system working. In my case, that worked -- but within a short time, it would stop working again. I'd remove the filter and fluid would be gone.

Hope that helps -- this might give you another avenue to check.

Well all 2-wheelers so far. I got my 20G out today and took it for a short spin just to keep it moving. The Hydraulic lift is not working and it is the next item I must solve. I found no jam in any of the linkage. I have read 3 threads about G hydraulics systems and reviewed all pages in the service manual and IPL regarding the hydraulics. no where have i found a lay out anything specific to do as trouble shooting.

I took a few pictures of the system, went to my local Advance Auto store which had no match of any kind for my filter. I guess i will get proper oil - that was specified in the service manual - and make sure the level is where it should be, using the old filter/reservoir for now.

If it works that will mean oil has all leaked out somewhere and that may make evident where the leak is. Any path to follow is welcomed.

The first 3 pics are as follows:
1. lever in Raise position
2. lever in Lower position position
3. lever in Float position

That little ring (bushing) around the shaft that is moved in and out of the valve by the movement of the handle, seems to be floating around on there. Is it supposed to?

The single pic on the second line is a view of the filter/reservoir. The parts store came up with the number on it and several cross-ref #s but was not able to special order any of them.

The bottom 3 pics are views of the cylinder. Does anyone see anything, i am not seeing?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I was looking forward and could hardly sleep Friday night in anticipation of putting the snowblower to use that the I-81 Express helped me get home. All that anxiousness for nothing though. The 40 to 50 MPH wind gusts took care of it for me. I got around 8 inches of snow, but the drive was blown in to drifts and only had white gravel left.

Oh well, there's always the next storm. :dunno:

·
Keeper of the Gravelyard
142 Posts
Hope your day was better than mine. Wanted to get the 60" mower installed on the Gravely 8199. Now to get this done is you have to ride the tractor up & over the mower. But that is not easy to do. But I did it twice. Finally got everything ready, put the lift rod thru the eye bolt, tried to go slow with the hydraulic control, watching the the lift & it must have struck on something, because it snapped the eye bolt. Back to square one. Disconnect everything, get the tractor off the mower again. Put the mower up on the work table with chain host. Thought that I would have to take the mower apart to get at the part to be replaced, but only had to take off right hand belt cover. Now to find another eye bolt. Hope Fastenal will have one & that they are open on MON. Wasn't a good day.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE.
Dallass in LA:banghead3
Gravely Tractors on hand
1946 Brass Tag Gravely "L"
1958 Gravely "L"
1961 Gravely "L"
1965 Gravely L "I"
1967 Gravely "C8"
1968 Gravely “C”
1969 Gravely C “I”.
1970 Gravely Kohler commercial 12hp
1971 Gravely "C"
1974 Gravely 812 12hp
1978 Gravely Kohler 5660 12hp
1981 Gravely Kohler 5200 8hp
1981 Gravely 8199 Onan 19.9hp
1984 Gravely Kohler 5260 8hp
1950 Merry Tiller

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
I was looking forward and could hardly sleep Friday night in anticipation of putting the snowblower to use that the I-81 Express helped me get home. All that anxiousness for nothing though. The 40 to 50 MPH wind gusts took care of it for me. I got around 8 inches of snow, but the drive was blown in to drifts and only had white gravel left.

Oh well, there's always the next storm. :dunno:
That's disappointing. I didn't get to play Gravely any.. just hauled a skid steer to my parents, had Christmas dinner with the whole family, hauled a Saturn back on the trailer. I'll get at least one out today though...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I received my cooling shrouds from Richard's Lawn and Garden. He said that on the earlier models (mine is a '48) holes need to be drilled in order for them to bolt on. Sounds like a project I will tackle tomorrow. The tractor already has the top cooling shield over the head. Did '48s come with a 5 blade fan? Mine has a 4 blade fan.

I also received my new hood decal from ebay:

:fing32:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't use it today, but yesterday I pulled the 10a into the barn and got ma 210 mounted, and blew some snow.

Got a lead on a dog eater I can mount on my C.C., best part about the deal is its free!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hooked the trailor up to the 816 so I could haul my leaf blower, can of premix fuel, rake and tarp up from my shed to my yard. That was the fun part. The not so fun part was cleaning up all the leaves and tree debris the storm deposited on my lawn.

The tractor looks kind of odd with the snow dozer out front, chains on the rear tires, and a trailor full of yard tools hitched to the back. Hmm, maybe I need a third rider?

One other thing. I picked up a NAPA gas cap for the 816. It works great. It replaces the one I bought from Richard's that didn't vent properly. Actually that was the second one from Richards I tried that doesnt vent. Don't buy the Chinese metal gas caps from Richards, they don't work. Plus the Napa cap is less expensive.

NPAP part number BX7031220. I'm trying to remember who posted about the NAPA cap, Jimmy in WV? Whoever it was many thanks!

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Canary Al,

I don't post often but this thread should help:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=160465&highlight=

In my thread about my hydraulic pump repair, there's a link to another thread that should work as well. Bottom line, it is very possible you have the same problem (my recollection is your 20G was one that had the pump driven off the transmission). I couldn't figure out what was going on except that the fluid kept disappearing but not leaking from any of the fittings or components up front or at the pump. From your pics, your hoses/fittings look dry as well. If you pull off the filter and are low -- you can refill with Dexron, put the filter back on and see if that gets your system working. In my case, that worked -- but within a short time, it would stop working again. I'd remove the filter and fluid would be gone.

Hope that helps -- this might give you another avenue to check.

Thanks IL_G that is helpful. I somehow missed your thread when searching for information on this. I had found the one mentioned in your thread about rebuilding the pump, but had not connected that to being my problem yet. Yours will give me something to chase:thThumbsU

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Well guys this will be a long post but please enjoy. Seemed like it would be a fitting place to put it in.

While at my Grandma's today I saw my uncle or my mom's oldest brother. I haven't seen him in months with his medical problems and me working. A little back story here. He bought his C8 brand new back in the day new. Has many attachments including quite a few things. A chain saw attachment and a saw blade attachment.Will come into play later on. But anyways. I also found an electric start set up so after an open heart surgery a couple years ago. He couldn't pull the strap anymore with out it pulling on his chest. And hes been useing it up till this year. Recently he has some more medical problems. Which had lead to him getting a bad infection in his feet from bad blood flow to them. And a few months story short he lost a couple toes in the deal. He now has a hard time walking. Anything other than flat ground he can't do. Walks with a cane otherwise. And has been unable to use his gravely now. But is pretty much healed up but still gets oxygen treatment every week day. I knew he would enjoy the pic's of the great haul and the 11 gravelys in the last 2 weeks that have come home. So I showed him the pic's and he was grinning from ear to ear. On the pic below he stopped. Turned and asked if I would trade him a sulky so he could atleast use his gravely to trim around his house again. For a chain saw and circular saw attachment he has. (Actually has been trying to get me to take for a few months now)I gladly said sure I would. So when I get some time I am for sure gonna do the trade :thThumbsU. More than anything I'll be happy to see him rolling again with it from my gravely wealth. He said he hasn't used either attachment in years and doubts he ever will now. He wants me to have them to show and to be appreciated be someone :D

But don't tell my mom im gonna try them out once. To make sure they work cough cough. He asked my mom if it was alright that I got them lol. Of course she said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be sure and grab some pics when I do it guys :trink39:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Well guys this will be a long post but please enjoy.
Sounds to me like you gave your uncle one of the best possible christmas gifts. Good on you!

1 - 20 of 4071 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.