My Tractor Forum banner

1701 - 1712 of 1712 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I got some more done in the last cpl days working on it a hr or two at a time, half of any time spent on putting it back together goes to finding the stuff that is everywhere and then 1/4 of time toward figuring out thru my pics and watching videos from Ensonova who has the camera close and STILL unlike most on you tube and the actual wrenching takes no time at all exept for the hard-to-reach stuff like the nuts that go on the inside of the square w/1/2 circle cut-outs in the middle of handlebars going into fan shroud.
Wheew long sentence, glad I am typing. 20191023_161131_HDR.jpg

20191023_162701_HDR.jpg The pic of the dolly cut in half is how I got the Gravely off of it, I just took a sawzall and cut it in two pieces, had no other way by myself.
I didnt attach H-Bar on right side because I figured I may need to put the shift-levers on first or as Im doing it and it w
as getting dark. But any advancement is advancement I figure. Beats it just sitting there. The mowing season is over here anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hey Gerrard, Today I worked on Gravely and got sum stuff done but everything I did seemed to have to be done at least three times because I never did it before. The little quirks like " put this on first or you'll never get that on" so I had to find out the hard way and thank God for the parts tractor and people on here as well, but Im still in the mud and will be until I get it done.
Of course I scratched and chipped the heck out of some nice new paint but Im not gonna worry about that and I'll have to adjust the operator shift levers especially the short one because it just dont feel right and almost had to force it forward.
Had the handles on them curving inward so had to take carter or cotter (whatever) keys off after just putting them in the other day and switch them so they point outwards and everything went like that but I managed to get most of it right.
Made a gasket or flat washer for air cleaner, I bottomed-out the long rod that goes in the center of air cleaner and it was actually to short and was flat with top of canister so I backed it out and barley got the wing nut on it, but what the heck I made some progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
The seasons are changing - Don't forget to lube those splines!

Try to hit the splines on the #1 and #2 (fwd and rev) shafts once a year. It will help prevent the teeth in the clutch hubs from wallowing out.

and

It's not a bad idea to also lubricate the cross-rod on Pro-G's and any other sliding/moving pars that makeup the directional control at the same time.

Make sure when you re-assemble and adjust the clearance of the clutches that you don't go too tight - it can damage things if you do.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Gerrard,

Oops, missed your question!

I do not know anyone specifically out that way, but there are Gravely folks all over so it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Gerrard,

Oops, missed your question!

I do not know anyone specifically out that way, but there are Gravely folks all over so it wouldn't surprise me.
No prob Bud, like you said there are a lot of em around here Im finding out. And as soon as you hear about one guy then another one comes along.
I just hope when the older dudes pass-on their kids dont just let em wrot of junk them for weight.
We are prolly gonna be the last gen of real Gravely lovers.
99% of youngsters have no idea what they are unless they are from a rural area, and the rest of them have barley even mowed grass at all much less brush and stuff.

I think Im gonna bug out till spring unless I get something new like the sulky I came across the other day. I think people are tired of hearing me.
When you see a page full of post and your'e name is the last one that commented on 75% of them people are tired of hearing you lol.
Take care
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Changed the oil in the 816 and comm12. Put the 38" blower on the 816. Put chains on both of them.

Supposed to snow for two day starting tomorrow. Still have to get out the C8 with the plow blade. Might stick another 210 on another C8 just to be sure I'm ready :)

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
Might stick another 210 on another C8 just to be sure I'm ready :)
OVERKILL

Its what's for breakfast!

:thThumbsU

:trink39:

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
Worked on this no serial number 55 or 56 LI over the week end to get it running.
Got this lot of stuff also in mid September
DSC00640.JPG

Digging her out
DSC00991.JPG

Putting it in the shop
DSC01132.JPG

In the shop with the other projects
DSC01135.JPG

Changed the water out for some fresh

DSC01142.JPG

Cylinder looks ok. Had what seemed like little compression. Leaking exhaust valve issue
DSC01143.JPG

Got spark and filled with fresh oil, and new filter
DSC01144.JPG

Work up till this point
Took her outside and tryed to crank it up. Not realizing the goop in the tank was plugging the fuel line up every 20 seconds or so
DSC01150.JPG

Once I heard it run for 10 or so seconds I pulled the tank and rinsed it out with some what till it was clean water comeing out. Then started and ran second pull!
Trying to get it running used all the power in the wolf pack. Big difference between the 8163-B and the 817 big block onan belt starting

DSC01168.JPG

It ran pretty good. Pulled it back in the shop and plumbed the oil lines correctly since they were leaking anyhow. Worked on the leaking valve, freed up the shiftier linkage, and adjusted the carb, it then ran like a top
DSC01170.JPG

I had it dialed in here after the tweaks to it

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Nice job bringing it back to life, Steve! The smoke died down a lot after it ran for a few minutes. It sounds good to me too. Like you said, maybe adjusting the valves will make it run even better. Being a Gravely, maybe just running it will make it run better!
:)

BTW, I just found a cylinder shroud for the phantom 816 on ebay today (joe's outdoor power). It should be here in a few days. Now I'll be able to run it long enough for a good carb. adjustment, and check out the hydraulic lift to see if it's frozen, or not.

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
Getting the snow fleet ready about a month ago. Its fairly big under takeing. Machines all shapes colors and years
DSC00957.JPG

Snow fleet pic before cab going on the 16G, or the 818-T or 408 had there blades on.Plus later throwing the 566 into the mix.
DSC00962.JPG

DSC00980.JPG

16G cab and blower on
DSC00993.JPG

566 being one of my now 3 12hp walk behinds picks up the square shoot blower
DSC01011.JPG

818-T ready for light up night parade a few weekends ago 22nd of November perhaps
DSC01121.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

Just another night in the shop tonight

DSC01172.JPG

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
Nice job bringing it back to life, Steve! The smoke died down a lot after it ran for a few minutes. It sounds good to me too. Like you said, maybe adjusting the valves will make it run even better. Being a Gravely, maybe just running it will make it run better!
:)

BTW, I just found a cylinder shroud for the phantom 816 on ebay today (joe's outdoor power). It should be here in a few days. Now I'll be able to run it long enough for a good carb. adjustment, and check out the hydraulic lift to see if it's frozen, or not.
For sure Dave once I got it running with out the choke on I let it sit and run pretty hard and long outside and carbon blowing out was a sight. Afterwards sitting idleing at the end clip I could not stall it at an idle trying to push the 424 around.
Good to hear. If you keep an eye out it turns up eventually

·
Gravely1964
3,775 Posts
Today's adventures getting the 65 LI, 49 L #1 and my 70 C running on this snowy day. Nothing laying on the roads ect.
DSC01178.JPG

65 im not sure has been run in few years
DSC01182.JPG

Pulled mag cleaned and adjusted points. and started and ran pretty good.
DSC01183.JPG

Used it to push 49 and 70 into the shop
DSC01186.JPG

49 and its bendix mag still had spark and lit off with some cranking on its own. Should have pulled mag and cleaned points but you know. 70 pulled mag and cleaned points. Set choke and lit off first pull
DSC01194.JPG

One of my older L's that work and one on my newer C's. Up and running again and back to bed.
DSC01197.JPG

Next L project will be to get the postal LI and my 69 C8 running again

1701 - 1712 of 1712 Posts