My Tractor Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1713 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Anybody want to see some rusty gold?

DSC00583.JPG Uh oh now whats he going for?

DSC00585.JPG I was on FB market place and found these gems about an hour from the house. What I got was a 67 424 starter generator one, main interest! 69 432, and a 54 L hey year im missing. I took 83 to push pull and help load im so glad I did. They were on top of a ridge sunk in the dirt behind a garage on a hill behind some trees. The 54 L was about a 1/2 mile in the woods just off a dirt road

DSC00586.JPG Compounding issues was frozen steering on both riders. The L was a straight pull up a long steep gravely hill

DSC00587.JPG About 2 hrs worth of pushing and pulling for 83 which was bought not to far from these in 2013. She saved 3 more with her triple aaa badge. There kinda rusty and ugly, but motors all spin and seem to have compression too. Gave $320 for the load

DSC00592.JPG Commercial is locked solid, spindles and drive. 50 inch is missing a spindle and theres nobody home in the gear box department either there. Input spins but no spin of pulley

DSC00593.JPG So made it home no big issues except a broken strap

DSC00599.JPG 424 is in ok shape. Just missing pto parts which were put in the 432 at some point and all linkage and wires unhooked to trans and motor. Oh and grill smashed and hood alittle bit

DSC00597.JPG

DSC00607.JPG 83 got everything moved around and unloaded

DSC00608.JPG Im outa roof space so this will have to do

DSC00611.JPG Until my 91 150 is done they will sit here

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Looks like you scored big time!...
Think I did alright. They are missing some things

Heres the haul vid I don't even have it titled yet

Unloading with 83

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cleaned and rebuilt the carb on my 817. Also put on new headgaskets, cleaned the carbon off the piston/heads/valves and adjusted the valve tappets. Still no go though. I need a new float and can't find one.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Its been a while since I posted. I've been busy with life n other stuff. Jason (lt4xtreme) and I put the transmission back together Saturday on the 20-G. Also, got some mowing done with the 16-G.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yesterday I finally did the Hydro service on my Gravely ZT HD 60. Let me let you learn from my findings in doing this.

I think mine is a 2014. if you have that year it takes over 4 quarts; almost 4 and 1/2 quarts at least for mine it did.

The manual says about 2 quarts per transaxle. Most of the YouTube videos say just under 2. Nope not right. Not for mine.

The lady at the parts counter at the dealer asked me if I had oil. I was planning on buying my oil somewhere else because it would be cheaper but then she showed me something that they were using and it said something about Cub cadet hydraulic drive fluid.

I hadn't read my manual yet but I bought it because they were about to close.
came home did my research and realize my manual called for 15w 50 which the oil that she sold me did not have any viscosity marked on it. it also cost me twice what regular oil that it called for cost.

I went to Napa and bought 15w 50 synthetic Napa brand which is made by Valvoline. Literally half the cost of what she sold me; I took that jug back to her this morning and said that it didn't have a viscosity on it and my manual called for 15w 50.

Also in the manual it called for pulling out the drain plug; it isn't really a drain plug it's a vent plug or a fill plug. it's at the top of the transaxle so nothing is draining from it all the draining comes from the filter where you take the filter off. in my case it was a quarter inch allen wrench and it does come out hard. use a good-quality allen wrench or you will snap It off. I read about guys doing that.

I also read about guys having a lot of trouble getting the original filters off which I also did. I have a pretty good filter wrench you will need a good one.

as for how I jacked it up here is a picture. I cut a notch out of a 4 by 4 so I could use my mower jack and get under the frame. I use the chainsaw to cut the notch but you can obviously use whatever. I didn't trust the hydraulic on my jack when I was under it; notice I used jack stands also.
the notch is to go around the pulley. I didn't feel like the Gravely motor protection cage was heavy enough to hold the weight of the mower.

I also attached a pic of the fill plug see it's right below where the hose goes into the transaxle.

just thought I might put this out there and save somebody the trouble. I think the Gravely manual is pretty sucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
It was a nice day so I took the 816 to the beach.
I have both trailer and beach envy ?

I don't see any fishing poles but I do see what looks like a beer cooler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bought an MA 709 22-Gallon Sprayer from a fellow Gravely enthusiast 1.5 hours away. Appears to be in good condition, but the tank needs plastic welding for a crack. I don't know whether the pump works or not until I test its operation. And after taking the wand apart and cleaning everything out, it shoots water when attached to a garden hose. EXACTLY what I need for certain farm applications. Win!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Just workin' it easy so far this summer. But I've got ~1/2 acre of ugly to cut in the near future, so will break out either the 30in. rotary or The Terminator 42in:.
I need to borrow that terminator. Grass in orchard got ahead of me. Too much work for my Pro 8 and 30” bush mower. Never slipped the implement clutch before.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did something I haven't done in 11 years. I mowed my yard with a gravely . 11 years ago this week my job went away do to a factory closing. 3 weeks before that my Gravely LI died, Engine problems. with no job it wasn't practical to fix it . about 6 weeks ago I was given a Gravely professional 12 with snow blade . Tonight after work I picked up a 40 in Kidney deck . So I am back mowing with a gravely

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Sorry to hear about your job. And that machine there is a monster compared to my L lol!
But as I have found out as one door closes it just makes another one open and I hope it works for you to.
Keep the old chin up.
BTW, That is a deck I have been trying to describe on here since I first got on here and I used it as a kid but the reason it seems I couldnt describe what it was is because the one we used had the cover missing from it that covered the pulleys that is on yours there. Wow! Finally

·
Registered
233 Posts
1 I will have been at the current job 10.5 years . I went from maintenance in an auto parts factory. To me driving is a necessary evil. To maintainance in a hospital. A job that even on my worst day I get to make someone's life better.
I was saving to build a custom bicycle when my job went away. I ended up with the bike l was planning to build at about half the price of my planned build . I had a 1962 Gravely that I had owned for 10 years die. I bought a new Grillo walking tractor in 2012 . That Gravely Pofessional 12 was free it came with a snow blade I have $200 in the deck . So yep the man upstairs takes care of me

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's not what I did with my Gravely LI today... it's what I didn't do! It's so hot that the "starter and control module" doesn't have the energy to pull the strap or follow the machine around. Mowing needs to be done, but it will have to wait for better Gravely conditions.
I looked at it and walked away! But, I've discovered that if you park the lawn chair exactly right, the top of the mower gear box makes a good spot to rest a liquid refreshment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did something I haven't done in 11 years. I mowed my yard with a gravely . 11 years ago this week my job went away do to a factory closing. 3 weeks before that my Gravely LI died, Engine problems. with no job it wasn't practical to fix it . about 6 weeks ago I was given a Gravely professional 12 with snow blade . Tonight after work I picked up a 40 in Kidney deck . So I am back mowing with a gravely

If I had a deck like that on my ‘91 professional 8, I wouldn’t have had to buy my Gravely ProTurn 152. I just couldn’t keep up with mowing the pastures and the woods, about 5+ acres total.

1661 - 1680 of 1713 Posts