My Tractor Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1878 Posts

·
Daryl G
927 Posts
Mark,
You must have been a really bad person in your previous life! You seem to have the worst luck BUT the best intentions. With that said, I am a little hesitant to include a little tidbit about cleaning up your newly acquired sulky's wheels... because you may lose and eye or something more dreadful;) .

I used oven cleaner (the nasty kind - with sodium hydroxide) to remove the paint when I was repainting my machines. It did a really good job but that stuff is very caustic and will burn/damage your eyes and skin if it comes into contact with you - you certainly do not want to hurt yourself but it did great on removing the old paint.

Once the old paint was gone, I flushed the surfaces with copious amounts of vinegar to neutralize the oven cleaner and then washed everything down with dawn and water and allowed it to air dry. The paint adhered to these surfaces very well. Suit up with a long sleeve shirt, long pants, proper foot coverings (see note), and chemical-resistant gloves.

Note: being inexperienced with this nasty cleaning concoction, I just wore sandals when I was prepping the surfaces... if that nasty alkali comes into contact with your skin, you will know it immediately and I have a scar on the top of my foot to prove it! Vinegar nor cursing did not reduce the pain as the damage was already done.

Since this thread is about 'what did you do to or with your Gravely today' I must add at least a little bit of pertinent content. Today marked day three of the creek bank clearing activity with the Gravely. The Gravely performed great; however, this machine is wearing me out!!! On a brighter note, since I added the dual wheels, I am able to get so much more of the banks cleared than in year one and two. Because much of the bank has a high concentration of sand, the extra traction afforded by the dual wheels is amazing. At least two more days are required (four hour shifts are all I can do).

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Mark,
You must have been a really bad person in your previous life! You seem to have the worst luck BUT the best intentions. With that said, I am a little hesitant to include a little tidbit about cleaning up your newly acquired sulky's wheels... because you may lose and eye or something more dreadful;) .

I used oven cleaner (the nasty kind - with sodium hydroxide) to remove the paint when I was repainting my machines. It did a really good job but that stuff is very caustic and will burn/damage your eyes and skin if it comes into contact with you - you certainly do not want to hurt yourself but it did great on removing the old paint.

Once the old paint was gone, I flushed the surfaces with copious amounts of vinegar to neutralize the oven cleaner and then washed everything down with dawn and water and allowed it to air dry. The paint adhered to these surfaces very well. Suit up with a long sleeve shirt, long pants, proper foot coverings (see note), and chemical-resistant gloves.

Note: being inexperienced with this nasty cleaning concoction, I just wore sandals when I was prepping the surfaces... if that nasty alkali comes into contact with your skin, you will know it immediately and I have a scar on the top of my foot to prove it! Vinegar nor cursing did not reduce the pain as the damage was already done.
None of this stuff happened to me before I got that cursed tractor lol!.
And I was supposed to go back to work the same day my leg got infected.
But its been rough , in a nut shell Ive been shot, stabbed, hit by a car, stomped on by a mad horse and thats just the basics, my face has been through a car windshield from the inside out and the outside in.
But anyhow before I get reminded its a tractor forum its been raining here the last few days so bad I cant do anything, supposed to stay off my leg to but I gotta mow sumtin awfull.
Oh yea about the oven cleaner, for years I worked at the Parks Corp. and we made countless products for wood like polyurethanes, varnishes, schellac and paint stripper and some people used it for oven cleaner but the killer ingredient in it was Methalene Chloride (sp?) Bad stuff. And we also made Muriatic Acid, another dangerous thing.
Later buddy
M

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Got the Gravely out and gave it a bath. Removed a few layers of oil preservative. Even used up a half gallon of fuel tank cleaner. The paint pattern was found to be different from what I see on most machine's on here. Think I can now work on it without getting to dirty just touching it.
Was moving it around yesterday with the Ariens. Apparently it has mixed feeling about towing the Gravely. First did not want to stay running and then would not shut down. Ended up pulling the wires from the ignition switch to kill juice to the volt meter.
The Gravely still needs a oil change and the ignition spark checked. Then I will see if it will run.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
Go out a C8 w/ 106 for some remedial brush-hogging, just because. Knocked down a pile of brambles and bittersweet, and some forsythia which was threatening to engulf one of my flower gardens.

There's a lot to be said for a gravely in low/low, throttle a little above idle so you can just about count the piston strokes, chugging its way methodically through a mountain of vegetation. It's one of the most satisfying things one can do with these machines :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hauled 20tons large bolders from the ditch drop off infront of grandparents home around home and usdd them to fix the lake retaining wall. The rocks were supposed to be 8in diameter and they planned to use man power and wheel barrels but once they realized that many of the rocks were too big to lift in and out of carts and wheel barrels we came up with a plan and it went great we used my gravely 8199kt (23hp briggs vanguard now) and a tow strap flipped an old silverado hood and attached to the hood latch for pulling. We were able to roll rocks on drag around the house to the back and roll them off and into place. Here are some pics and a poor quality vid sorry about the vid it was sent to me and is not very good i took no vid since i was driving.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Got beat up by the LI today. First time every mowing with it. The whole day was a new learning curve. But man an I ever sore tonight. Got knock off the Solley a few time by the handle bars, learnt the hard way you don't back it up in the mud in a ditch. I will never use the Solley in a ditch again. It does do a great job of mowing grass though. Only had to stop a make one real repair and that was when it carb linkage fell out off the governor arm.
Back at it tomorrow still more grass to mow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got beat up by the LI today. First time every mowing with it. The whole day was a new learning curve. But man an I ever sore tonight. Got knock off the Solley a few time by the handle bars, learnt the hard way you don't back it up in the mud in a ditch. I will never use the Solley in a ditch again. It does do a great job of mowing grass though. Only had to stop a make one real repair and that was when it carb linkage fell out off the governor arm.
Back at it tomorrow still more grass to mow.

Yeah anything that is rough ground I won't use the sulky. Back when I had my very first L8 tractor I learned to not use the sulky on uneven ground. Handle bars to the ribs don't feel too good. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Mowed some 2 foot tall grass with the LI and 185 deck today. This would be a hard mowing machine to beat if there was a gear 1/4 the low speed on the high side. It really needs the fast blade speed to keep that long grass from wrapping itself around the blade shaft and slipping the implement clutch. Other than that it never even pulled the engine down. It did take a lot of clutch work though on the high side.
Conclusion is a sickle mower will be put on the bucket list.
The only other problem was don't mow next to an electric fence with the shift levers next to the fence.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had just finished building a new 30 inch M106 mower deck. I had one of the extended front guards with chain links and longer runners, so I put that on it also and went to work around the house.
That setup worked great and stopped any projectiles from launching an breaking windows.
It has a heavy brush blade, so I headed down to the lower lot that had really gotten overgrown from recent rains and my neglect.
I found out pretty quickly that this deck with all the guards was not so well suited for this. I was constantly choking up with cuttings and bogging down the old L8.
So went back to the shed and mounted up the old beat up 30 inch with no front guard and one of the runners ripped off of it. No problem since this is just a brush cut.
The old deck did the trick and just chugged on through 1 ½ acre of the tall weed and fallen cedar debris.
IMG_1263.JPG
Probably should have put an fresh edge on the blade first.

Here is the old beat up mower.
IMG_1264.JPG
I failed to get a picture of the one I just put in service. Maybe later.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well I opened up the transmission on an 8163-t I'm refurbishing for a neighbor. I'll have to move pictures from my phone but its not real exciting...This is a Franken-tractor I sold to this friend a few years ago. He let it sit and so now it needs some TLC. Had to open trans because I busted out one of the axle snap rings trying to get off a wheel hub. Since I'm in there it needs clutch shaft seals and I found it could use a better final drive shaft (17986). We'll freshen up a few more seals and it's getting a nice set of wheel hubs. Might replace one of the clutch hubs that has a small crack. PTO seems OK.

Like I said I'll post some pictures of the carnage so far. Onan B43M is also getting some love this time. 20200607_173328.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I picked up a 50" deck locally for my Commercial 10A, which I also recently acquired. It feels good to be behind a Gravely again. I've owned a few Super Convertibles in the past, my last one I sold a year ago (poor choice involving moving and a bad relationship) and had no Gravelys up until now.

The tractor is a 1968 Commercial 10A I bought from the original owner's son. Hoping to get the engine rebuilt this summer by a good friend. The deck I picked up a few towns over and had been sitting in the weeds outside for a while. I sharpened the blades, replaced the belt with a Napa A124, greased the spindles and gear box and mowed some nice stripes. (y)

I also have a snow plow and sulky for this machine, hoping to find a 30" brush deck, a cultivator, and snowblower at some point. All of those are attachments I owned previously and know how awesome they are with these tractors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I brought a new E170 JD about 2 mos. ago .I have a 810 Gravely that I have had for 27 years it needs a lot of work done on it. I have compared the two. What a joke the E170 is compared to the Gravely. I would have been better off having the 810 repaired.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
More brush hogging with the C8. These are not exactly before/after, but it's pic of what this area of my yard looks like, and what the C8 does to it.

Those brambles are 8-10 feet high. It takes several back-and-forth passes to knock them down enough that I can really chop them up. Time consuming, but very satisfying :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
I have a mess like that to look forward to soon. Pretty sure the LI can handle it but can I?
My main lesson about brush-hogging: Take your time.

1801 - 1820 of 1878 Posts