My Tractor Forum banner
1,721 - 1,740 of 2,581 Posts
Bought an MA 709 22-Gallon Sprayer from a fellow Gravely enthusiast 1.5 hours away. Appears to be in good condition, but the tank needs plastic welding for a crack. I don't know whether the pump works or not until I test its operation. And after taking the wand apart and cleaning everything out, it shoots water when attached to a garden hose. EXACTLY what I need for certain farm applications. Win!

Attachments

Just workin' it easy so far this summer. But I've got ~1/2 acre of ugly to cut in the near future, so will break out either the 30in. rotary or The Terminator 42in:.
I need to borrow that terminator. Grass in orchard got ahead of me. Too much work for my Pro 8 and 30” bush mower. Never slipped the implement clutch before.

I did something I haven't done in 11 years. I mowed my yard with a gravely . 11 years ago this week my job went away do to a factory closing. 3 weeks before that my Gravely LI died, Engine problems. with no job it wasn't practical to fix it . about 6 weeks ago I was given a Gravely professional 12 with snow blade . Tonight after work I picked up a 40 in Kidney deck . So I am back mowing with a gravely

Sorry to hear about your job. And that machine there is a monster compared to my L lol!
But as I have found out as one door closes it just makes another one open and I hope it works for you to.
Keep the old chin up.
BTW, That is a deck I have been trying to describe on here since I first got on here and I used it as a kid but the reason it seems I couldnt describe what it was is because the one we used had the cover missing from it that covered the pulleys that is on yours there. Wow! Finally

1 I will have been at the current job 10.5 years . I went from maintenance in an auto parts factory. To me driving is a necessary evil. To maintainance in a hospital. A job that even on my worst day I get to make someone's life better.
I was saving to build a custom bicycle when my job went away. I ended up with the bike l was planning to build at about half the price of my planned build . I had a 1962 Gravely that I had owned for 10 years die. I bought a new Grillo walking tractor in 2012 . That Gravely Pofessional 12 was free it came with a snow blade I have $200 in the deck . So yep the man upstairs takes care of me

It's not what I did with my Gravely LI today... it's what I didn't do! It's so hot that the "starter and control module" doesn't have the energy to pull the strap or follow the machine around. Mowing needs to be done, but it will have to wait for better Gravely conditions.
I looked at it and walked away! But, I've discovered that if you park the lawn chair exactly right, the top of the mower gear box makes a good spot to rest a liquid refreshment.

I did something I haven't done in 11 years. I mowed my yard with a gravely . 11 years ago this week my job went away do to a factory closing. 3 weeks before that my Gravely LI died, Engine problems. with no job it wasn't practical to fix it . about 6 weeks ago I was given a Gravely professional 12 with snow blade . Tonight after work I picked up a 40 in Kidney deck . So I am back mowing with a gravely

If I had a deck like that on my ‘91 professional 8, I wouldn’t have had to buy my Gravely ProTurn 152. I just couldn’t keep up with mowing the pastures and the woods, about 5+ acres total.

If I had a deck like that on my ‘91 professional 8, I wouldn’t have had to buy my Gravely ProTurn 152. I just couldn’t keep up with mowing the pastures and the woods, about 5+ acres total.
If I had to mow 5+ acres I would have bought the 50 inch deck that the gentleman had. The professional 12 has enough power to run the 50 inch deck I live on about 1/2 acre with about 40 x 60 garden with my yard size and layout the 40 mower made more sense . Plus I like that deck discharge is to the left back side of the deck so you can mow tight against stuff on either side of the deck

I have been mowing fields of 2' tall weeds with my '69 C8 and 42" sickle bar. So far so good. It even provides mosquito control as it has quite a smoking habit. :hide:

1. As with PaulL, I've been hammering the (four foot tall) weeds with my 42in. sickle mower on the 5665. Weed Carnage TM... utter devastation :tango_face_devil:

2. Bought Viton O-ring seals for the MA 709 Sprayer- RoundUp won't break them down.

It's not what I did with my Gravely LI today... it's what I didn't do! It's so hot that the "starter and control module" doesn't have the energy to pull the strap or follow the machine around. Mowing needs to be done, but it will have to wait for better Gravely conditions.
I looked at it and walked away! But, I've discovered that if you park the lawn chair exactly right, the top of the mower gear box makes a good spot to rest a liquid refreshment.
Tween the 90+ heat every day and the miserable mosquitoes I dont go out unless I have to.
Ive sprayed so much mosquito spray on myself my legs are beet-red.
Weather here is so screwed up, first it rained every day by the buckets for 2 months and now its just dry and 90+ deg w/no rain. Always "too something"!
The weather said because of all the rain the mosquitoes were gonna be bad something about their eggs were already in the ground and they were right.

Took a few tractors to a local show and parade. With my local tractor club brush valley antique iron& power club. Enjoy had some pics and vid started in a reply the other night. Must not have posted IDK. Not going threw and posting pics again

1. Got the Utility Sprayer MA709 back together: tank PE welded; new Viton O-rings; s/s fasteners; threaded drain plug replaced with brass plug; painted and de-greased. Factory-new now :tango_face_smile_bi

2. Cleaned up the SPOT drive flange fkwittery on the 42in sickle mower- new bolts, springs, nylocs and clutch plates from Wilton Graveley. As always, excellent service from Bill Wilton :fing32:

Attachments

I'll bite on this thread, considering it seems Ive been talking to myself lately and my thread has turned into "what Gerrard did today to his Gravely".
Anyhow for the last cpl days using what little time I have per day for it Ive been hunting down small parts for painting and getting as much stuff as I can that hasnt been gone-over and cleaned and painted before re-assembly.

After 2 days I finally located the lost-lever for the control rods or whatever the proper name for them is and got it cleaned sanded and painted.
Ive seen a question on here awhile back about how to get the small plastic grips off of the levers and I just heat up a work knife w/one of those butane mini-torches and get it hot and just lay it on there and remove it all in one motion.
Real easy, surprised the heck outta me.

Look at how cruddy that handle is under that grip after 50 yrs. I took some plumbers cloth to it, works pretty good.

Attachments

All Iv'e had time to do lately is do some touch-up painting where some stuff I painted a year ago has been out here getting banged up and stuff, altho covered I have some condensation probs on the ceiling in the morning and because of my dog plus just having the space to keep stuff safe I have to hang or suspend stuff from the ceiling.
Well heres some of it. Less some bolt-heads Ive painted.
Plus my new S&W I just got yesterday, Model 351c.
Been just cleaning tractor as much as possible because its to muct trouble to repaint it, apparently previous owner painted over red w/another red so I'll prolly just clean it best I can.

Attachments

1,721 - 1,740 of 2,581 Posts