My Tractor Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2136 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey does anyone know the part number for the mulch plug or whatever for the 60 inch deck? I want to mulch the lawn this summer with my rider

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
How much weight can the rear hydraulics on an 816 lift, and what sort of thing would happen if the hydraulics approached their limit?

Bought this today and will probably pile some weight on top of it. I imagine it would break before the gravely would.
The hydraulics on my 800 series tractors lift my 245 lb. tiller without a problem. I just realized that I took this pic before converting the 814 to hydraulic lift. Hydraulics made lifting the tiller a lot easier.

·
Gravely1964
4,104 Posts
How much weight can the rear hydraulics on an 816 lift, and what sort of thing would happen if the hydraulics approached their limit?

Bought this today and will probably pile some weight on top of it. I imagine it would break before the gravely would.
Steve being steve I'll just leave this pic here

DSC01073.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
The hydraulics on my 800 series tractors lift my 245 lb. tiller without a problem. I just realized that I took this pic before converting the 814 to hydraulic lift. Hydraulics made lifting the tiller a lot easier.

View attachment 2500181
Now thats a great looking rig. Looks like a real work horse.
I can see why you guys like the big ones, considering if you have a place to use them that is.
That looks like it can take care of a pretty good bit of property in many ways.

View attachment 2500181

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I just realized that I took this pic before converting the 814 to hydraulic lift. Hydraulics made lifting the tiller a lot easier.
Huh. You must have added the liftable hitch at the same time, right? I didn't know that was available as a kit, but it makes sense.

I totally believe the hydraulics make it easier. I can't imagine lifting the blower with a manual lift.

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
Thanks, Gerrard. Yes, it's nice having the riders. I can always count on them to get things done.

John, it's been a long time, but I believe I picked up the liftable hitch "kit" for the 814 on ebay at some point before finding the tiller. I actually used the 38 in. blower on the manual lift 430 for years before finally installing the lift assist kit that I also had for years (don't ask me why, I still don't know :) ). Lifting the blower without the lift assist was always "fun". Lifting it after was a breeze. That's when I started asking myself why I didn't install it a lot sooner. :)

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Those rear rims/wheels are something.
If you mean on my 816, those are just stock 8.50 - 12 wheels, with new Carlisle lug tires. They've been cleaned up and painted, which does make them look extra butch :)

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
First drive report on my 816 post transmission swap: It's alive!

I mowed one of the lawns. Everything worked well, strong and smooth as usual. It really is a joy to have good axles in there, no more lurching!

My carb tuning is still off, but if I've been running it, it's too hot to stick my hand in there, so I'm going to have to sneak up on it between runs. But it does start right up after running. So all that angst last year about vapor lock or whatever really was wrong; it was the coil the whole time. Yay! Thanks Steve!

This is my first time running one for real with an LSD. I couldn't tell whether it was doing anything, which seems just right. Once when I started with the wheels cocked, I did spin the inside tire a little, that might have been the LSD. I think the real proof will be next winter.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on the various parts of this project.

Reactions: kyavion

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
Congrats, John! It had to be a nice feeling. The LSD won't make itself known until you're at the end of traction. You will feel a slight pulse through the seat for a split second when LSD kicks in. You will also realize that you're still pushing snow when just a second, or two before you thought that your forward progress felt like it was finished. It's pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Today I just made some room and switched places of the Gravleys so I can start trying to time the L model, I bought the L8 because it had an electric starter and now I cant even get it to start so Im tired of messin with it and dont care right now if bees live in it.
I didnt wanna ask 'how' to do anything so I watched a cpl videos on timeing using the mag collar and lining it up with marks or whatever ( gotta find the video again ) so I was gonna practice on one of my spare tractors magneto wich seems to be robbed blind as far as I can tell ( in pic ) its a WICO and so is the one on the L .
I prolly dont need to take magneto plumb off but I tried anyway and as far as I can tell the only thing holding it on is those two bolts on the underside of the mag and I cant get those things off or at least not yet, not hardly any room to swing wrench onless I take wheel & tire off but like I said I dont guess I have to remove the magneto on the L model but was just messin with or trying to familiarise (sp?) myself with loosening the collar and moving it.
Heres some pix of my outdoors work shop and the spare magneto I was messin with. And some spare stuff I found to. I guess the carb on stack of bricks is a front facing job. I doused it down with some WD because the gasket was brittle. Dont know if its OK to do it but its moist now at least.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Congrats, John! It had to be a nice feeling.
Thanks Dave. Yeah, it's great. I have so many projects going, it's good to actually finish one :)

Of course, I've bought myself another; the trans out of the 816 needs to be cleaned up, and have new axles installed. That'll go into the 812. But first, I need to finish making up snow-cannon gears, fix the K181 on my Mountaineer, and on and on . . .

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Thanks Dave. Yeah, it's great. I have so many projects going, it's good to actually finish one :)

Of course, I've bought myself another; the trans out of the 816 needs to be cleaned up, and have new axles installed. That'll go into the 812. But first, I need to finish making up snow-cannon gears, fix the K181 on my Mountaineer, and on and on . . .
Strange so many have much similar lives. I have way to many to get to the prime directive.
The door to the tractor storage is now openable. Grass is now to tall for the Ariens but that is what the LI is here for. Now to get the LI running again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Man what happened to you guys
Like all the other ones the 'old guard' really runs things.
I hope you get the LI running and get to cut that grass Gerrard. You are so close now. Keep at it. Looking forward to you posting your success! (y)

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
I hope you get the LI running and get to cut that grass Gerrard. You are so close now. Keep at it. Looking forward to you posting your success! (y)
Oh my grass got cut today, I just gotta time that L model I got for my son. Was gonna do it but it started raining so hard water was flying in the car port lol.
It runs but I had to start it w/a 1/2 drill but thats not good for the tractor plus I paid 120 bucks for that drill and its about to chew the chuck up on it as well, or the extensions I have to use in it to get the sockett onto the tractor.
Timing dont seem real hard according to some videos Ive been watching but I gotta get him over here to crank it for me because I gotta have a liver transplant soon and pulling on that strap is pretty rough now.
Thanks but I think it'll be fine
Later

2081 - 2100 of 2136 Posts