My Tractor Forum banner

1981 - 1998 of 1998 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope she is not reading this but I thought only drunk goats rolled their eyes.
We don't let our goats drink so much that they get drunk, which is good, as 32 goats can really ring up a bar tab. My wife has zero interest in any machinery, so we are safe. She does ask me why I keep buying old stuff instead of getting a new one. She doesn't understand. It is not just about getting something done, any fool can do that.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
We don't let our goats drink so much that they get drunk, which is good, as 32 goats can really ring up a bar tab. My wife has zero interest in any machinery, so we are safe. She does ask me why I keep buying old stuff instead of getting a new one. She doesn't understand. It is not just about getting something done, any fool can do that.
Drop some new equivalent stuff in front of her just for response sake with pricing of course. My wife doesn't complain about the old stuff and really only hear anything from her about tractors and equipment when I start looking at new stuff at the dealership. Yes she know the price range without even asking anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I know what I just did 5 mins ago out of winter time bore, I just got on e bay and bought a perforated brush rear guard for one of my Ls. I had to it was a steal compared to the ones I normally see plus as far as a few pics goes it looked like a new one but it was listed as 'used' of course.
Im no fool and I know that 'buyer beware' is always a factor and you get what you pay for also ( thats if your lucky I always said ) but if I recieve the one in the pic for what I paid I will be very " satified " for sure.
The two fold/flanges where bolts attach to deck look great to.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I know what I just did 5 mins ago out of winter time bore, I just got on e bay and bought a perforated brush rear guard for one of my Ls. I had to it was a steal compared to the ones I normally see plus as far as a few pics goes it looked like a new one but it was listed as 'used' of course.
Im no fool and I know that 'buyer beware' is always a factor and you get what you pay for also ( thats if your lucky I always said ) but if I recieve the one in the pic for what I paid I will be very " satified " for sure.
The two fold/flanges where bolts attach to deck look great to.
I would probably be more tempted to make one unless dirt cheap. I really should put the back guard on I have. So far everything likes going out the front of the brush cutter.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
So far everything likes going out the front of the brush cutter.
Do put your back guard on. Granted when you're moving forward more stuff will fly out the front than the back, but seeing the velocity at which it comes out, I don't want any chance of it coming back and bucking me off at the ankles. 🤯

Reactions: Lnk

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
@ $55 + $18 ship it werent so bad. At least not at the price and condition Ive seen many more of them at.
I about fell outta my chair when I saw a cpl of freshly painted L model hoods for well over $300.
I just gotta figure out which one Im gonna put it on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I started the L-8 today, let the battery charge for a few hrs and discovered it had no gas in it..well it did when I put it up I thought anyway and I had to turn on that tiny fragile looking/feeling valve under the tank and I didnt know it was even in play because it had a on/off valve in fuel line and that little thing under tank was ridgid feeling but its working now but Im gonna open it up and leave it and just use the in-line on/off valve.
For what its all worth that is.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Oh yeeea, got that part in today and I love it, looks great and it will protect Grandson when hes out w/his dad a mowin and stuff.
Im satified with it. And a hella price I thought as well.
Never seen one that nice for $55 bucks. Ive seen them on-line that were tore all to heck for x 2 that much tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh yeeea, got that part in today and I love it, looks great and it will protect Grandson when hes out w/his dad a mowin and stuff.
Im satified with it. And a hella price I thought as well.
Never seen one that nice for $55 bucks. Ive seen them on-line that were tore all to heck for x 2 that much tho.
All that matters is whether the seller and the buyer are happy. Looks nice, is that the mulching attachment?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
All that matters is whether the seller and the buyer are happy. Looks nice, is that the mulching attachment?
Thats what it said, its just a rear guard to me that looks better than the other kind. I plan on cutting one of my standard rear guards down to half-height and put it on the front as its my understanding thats how they are anyway if you can find one.
I have a new rear guard I got from Richards a cpl yrs ago to but I have two L's to put all that on. One L and one L-8.
And I couldnt pass it up on the price anyway.
I guess I could have got it cheaper perhaps because it was a bid or buy now but I dont mess with that silly bidding so I just got it. As far as Im concerned bidding is a way to possibly get something cheaper but its also a way to loose something you want, and If I really want something I just get it.
Happy Trails!

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Do put your back guard on. Granted when you're moving forward more stuff will fly out the front than the back, but seeing the velocity at which it comes out, I don't want any chance of it coming back and bucking me off at the ankles. 🤯
Definatly

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Thats what it said, its just a rear guard to me that looks better than the other kind. I plan on cutting one of my standard rear guards down to half-height and put it on the front as its my understanding thats how they are anyway if you can find one.
That's actually intended for leaf mulching. See for instance http://www.jrd.org/www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/30_Inch_Mower_Op_Inst_1172.pdf page 2. But it will work as well as the solid one, for preventing debris from exiting the deck at warp speed.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
That's actually intended for leaf mulching. See for instance http://www.jrd.org/www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/30_Inch_Mower_Op_Inst_1172.pdf page 2. But it will work as well as the solid one, for preventing debris from exiting the deck at warp speed.
I went there and read it, does it just hold leaves and stuff in there longer so they can get chopped up in little pieces or something?
I actually just thot it looked pretty cool and plus it would give some protection to the operator to.
But that on the rear of deck and half-height flat job in the front of it should look and work pretty well'
Im not even sure wich deck or tractor to put it on

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Right.

Standard configuration is a short guard on the front and a tall guard on the back. That still leaves a gap in the front for things to fly out, though it's way better than no guard at all. It also lets leaves and grass clippings escape.

If you use a tall guard plus the mulcher guard, there's very little gap, and most crap stays in there being chopped up pretty fine.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Weather I use the mulcher guard or the regular one the tall one will go in the back but I'd like to put a half-height one on front just to have some protection up there, I wouldnt want a tall one on front cause it seems like unless your'e mowing a level foot ball field or something it would just hang-up on something every whip-stich.
And no guard on front at all just has a unfinished look to it not to mention just a dangerous look to it as well.
A boss I had was mowing w/o a front guard and a coat hanger come flying out of under it and wrapped around his wifes neck and they actually had to go to hospital to get it off and while she was in the E.R. a cpl cops came in and spoke with her to make sure he didnt wrap it around her neck w/his hands in an arguement or whatever.
And the hospital told him "sorry but thats S O P ". LOL.
And w/a little grandson running around ( well he cant run yet lol ) I wanna get something up front.
I just aint sure what to cut it down with. its on a deck now and I have a piece of gorilla tape or whatever marking it off good and straight. I have a sawzall and a angle grinder and some cutting blades for it so I guess I'll use it but I gotta read inst on how to get them on cause its a cheapie H.F.T. grinder all $14 of it. It doesnt have a threaded shaft or whatever sticking out of it and its different but I somehow got a wire stripping wheel on it tho.
The cutting wheel pkg says it fits both types as I remember, just gotta check it out.
Found some picks of the guard marked-off and ready to cut. I guess I'll leave it on the deck when cutting if possible, that aint a real good deck anyway the guy I got it from had it all gin-whacked up so I dont care much about it cause I have a few good ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
When I first got my L model the rear guard ( never actually saw a front guard on one ) it was dented up so I removed it and got a hammer and put it on my deck and figured I'd knock the dents out of it and I gave that thing a whack and the hammer bounced off that thing like it was rubber and about took my head off !
Needless to say that guard-steel is some stout stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
When I first got my L model the rear guard ( never actually saw a front guard on one ) it was dented up so I removed it and got a hammer and put it on my deck and figured I'd knock the dents out of it and I gave that thing a whack and the hammer bounced off that thing like it was rubber and about took my head off !
Needless to say that guard-steel is some stout stuff.
Tempered steel.

1981 - 1998 of 1998 Posts