My Tractor Forum banner

What Did You Do To or With Your Gravely Today?

102K views 3K replies 150 participants last post by  kyavion 
#1 ·
Shall we begin again....lets keep this going I think this is a good thread to keep alive....:fing32:

#5 ·
Might that be the one that is part of the rear axle tube with a pto stub for a rear tiller? cause I might have one.....

#4 · (Edited)
(I guess you could say its for a fellow gravely owner)
At work today did a pto clutch in an 8123 :fing32:

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive wheel system Tractor
without flash

Vehicle Automobile repair shop
flash

Anyhow that was just what I did in the morning :sidelaugh Its all back together and running great now :thThumbsU Managed not to grab a pic of that or the pto tool we have :hide: I'll grab that one day :fing32:

#6 ·
Oh and nice decal to!!!!:thThumbsU

#8 ·
pm sent

#9 ·
Got the 59 LS and 48L running today

Vehicle Grass Lawn Agricultural machinery Mower
59 needed the points cleaned and gapped. Fired first pull tilled garden :thThumbsU

Vehicle Lawn Mower Grass Outdoor power equipment
48 Im not sure what was going on. Always was a one pull wonder. But today no spark :dunno: Cleaned and gapped the points still nothing. spun mag with drill on bench and slowly came back then worked normal. I really not sure whats up there but after belt starting it off the 59 it ran good.

Kinda thinking with all the rain we had in june it ran in my barn for about a month and all the mags are damp inside just great :banghead3

So 3 weeks till my local fair here and im flipping threw any tractors that need to go to make sure they'll run :fing32:

Transport Vehicle Room Chair Building
Last years display. Gonna cut back slightly :fing32:

#10 ·
Yesterday I used the 812 to mow two of my three yards. It was fun to use it again. Started right up with no choke, ran smooth and strong. I used the 16G to haul the remains of a 30"+ diameter stump down to the back lot to compost. I had been cutting slots into it with a chainsaw. That finally paid dividends as rot was well underway. The stump was pretty much entirely spongy.

After mowing and stump duty I dragged out the power washer and went over the 50" deck shell that I had welded up in the Spring. It has been sitting since then. The power washer broke a few areas of peeling paint loose. I also blew out the coating od dried grass on the underside and got that down to bare metal.

I stood the shell up in the sun. Being painted in dark gray primer, it heated up pretty hot pretty quickly. This caused the water to dry quickly and some flash rust to form on the bare metal areas. This is what i wanted to happen. I then wiped the whole thing down with Rust Mort to convert all the rust and prevent further rusting.

Now I'll start a little metal slapping and filling to try to make the deck as smooth and straight - mainly along the leading edge of the front - as is reasonable. Then priming with a high solids primer and painting it. I'll do that in my portable "spray booth" as time and weather allow.

My summer thus far has been more about a crazy-busy work schedule and a non-Gravely light construction project. I hope i can soon get some shop time with my Gravely projects.

#11 ·
Well I guess 6 is good enough this year

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chassis
450, 70 C8 utility scoop, 52 Navy L, 48L rotary plow, 49L power wheel barrow, and 63 L8 with buzz saw to represent.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Chassis
Now that i know they fit i'll get my paper sent in and be ready to show :thThumbsU

#14 ·
glad I brought it along........one tractor had no front tires on it and the other had the trans and engine removed....the cart worked like a set of wheels....

#15 ·
Got a few weeks till that fair lol. Starts the Aug 29th. The machines sit on display all week and enjoy themselfs :thThumbsU

There was always a crowd around them anytime I pop in. Pic from last year

Vehicle Car Street Asphalt

#17 ·

Most of this job were performed with the C12 with the 30 inch lh deck. And a chainsaw. Lots of big wood in there.

The Deere did see some use as well. But the C12 did the bulk of the job.

Much of what I did wasn't visible in the 1st pic. The large rocks you see in the background of the last pic..... I cleared around 4 of them. Plus cleared an area for a timber pile. All behind the 3 to 4 feet deep brush and tree's in the 1st pic.

#18 ·
I haven't been doing much with the tractors for the last several weeks due to the shop project but I didn't manage a little accessory work today.

Some time ago, I bought a fan wrench for the L/C Models. I used it and set it aside. Well, a little surface rust appearing on it lit a fire in me. I started with this:

Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

After a thorough cleaning on the wire wheel and wipe down with solvent, I put a coat of primer and a top coat of white appliance enamel. After the paint dried, I finished the wrench out with a couple of coats of Plasti-Dip on the handle.

Much better:

Glove

Sorry about the pic rotation. It's a glitch in the forum software.

#23 ·
I haven't been doing much with the tractors for the last several weeks due to the shop project but I didn't manage a little accessory work today.

Some time ago, I bought a fan wrench for the L/C Models. I used it and set it aside. Well, a little surface rust appearing on it lit a fire in me. I started with this:

View attachment 1383498

After a thorough cleaning on the wire wheel and wipe down with solvent, I put a coat of primer and a top coat of white appliance enamel. After the paint dried, I finished the wrench out with a couple of coats of Plasti-Dip on the handle.

Much better:

View attachment 1383506

Sorry about the pic rotation. It's a glitch in the forum software.
It turned out like new. The artwork looks like it belongs there. I was thinking how nice it must be to roll your tool cabinets etc., around now, with your new floor.

#19 ·
Before I forget, I also put up some Gravely artwork:

Machine Vehicle

#20 ·
Nice art work DJ! I really like the transmission sign.
I've been looking for one of the pads they put on the parts counter to put on my bench for carb work. No luck so far. Wouldn't mind a small service sign either. I do have a 3'X5' flag for outside of my shop though.

#25 ·
I do have a 3'X5' flag for outside of my shop though.
I've got a flag that size too Dave. As soon as I locate the flag pole bracket that I put up so I'd know where to find it, I'll fly it on pretty days I'm in the shop.
Sorry but wrong number there DJ. :sidelaugh
Let's just go with you're tired. :fing32:

#24 ·
I've got a flag that size too Dave. As soon as I locate the flag pole bracket that I put up so I'd know where to find it, I'll fly it on pretty days I'm in the shop.

#26 ·
I bush hogged three small fields at a summer music camp with the '71 C8 and 30" deck on Saturday. The sulky made for a nice ride between the garage and three areas especially since it is over 1/4 mile of hills.

Today I cut down years worth of vines and sticker bushes from a 20' X 25' garden at the same camp with the '54 L and 42" sickle bar. The tenant was amazed at the capabilities of the Gravely and that it was a year older than he was. Near the end it stalled and didn't want to restart so I towed it back to the garage with the C8 to deal with another day. I'm glad that I had dual ags on the C8 as it was tough towing up a steep gravel driveway.

#28 ·
Okay DJ but remember......:wwp: :sidelaugh

#29 ·
I have been resurecting this c10a I picked up a few months ago. She had a bad oil leak on the swifty and had been sitting for many years outside. I bought it for parts originally but decided to see if she would run. New points, swiftamatic shift pin and o-ring, cleaned the tank, wired in the correct key switch and got it to hit on ether so I tore in to the carb. If was by far the worst I have ever seen. Bowl was so rusty my screw driver went through it just scraping around in it... I have 3 walbro fixed jet carbs sitting around and none are looking useable at this point. I am looking at over $25 for a new bowl and a rebuild kit for the walbro so... I ordered a Kohler adjustable main jet style aftermarket from eBay with the backwards choke Lever. $46 shipped. Figured what did I have to lose?

Got it installed tonight and swapped fuel pumps from my spare 12hp and next thing you know I am our behind the shop mowing with a headlamp on!

Still needs a few minor things but she is running good.

Attachments

#30 ·
I finally got my 8123 in for a Electrolysis swim. I so wish the p.o. had taken a hose to the inside of the frame..just once!

Attachments

#33 ·
My daughter and I spent 15 minutes knocking down a field of weeds with the 650 and 24G

It was her first time on the 650,,,,
I thought I was gonna need a 2X4 to knock the grin off her face,,,, :dunno:

She was ready to mow another 6 acres,,,

:fing32:

Those two machines REALLY kicked op a dust cloud from the weeds,,,,

#34 ·
Hello folks
I see that everybody is at work and enjoy with the Gravelys
Myself I spent a long time out for many reasons!
By now, just the good Super C8 is working!!!!! Three Kohler engines are with trouble: the 8hp is at a technical school to be restored, the 12hp has problems with the ACR that I cannot resolve and the 14hp has the coil out of order§ Old 194 Ls are waiting for better days and the old old D is retired as the rings are worn (logical after almost 80 years). you can understand that I don't really enjoy with my Gravelys. By chance we have had a terribly dry weather since april and I needed to mow only once!! After the plowin with the C8 tractors remained in the garage!!
I hope for better days

#35 ·
Hang in there Andre, things will get better.

My honey-do list is out of control so no real progress on the gravely front, I did however buy all new fasteners and hitch pins for the kwik way loader at TSC yesterday so that's something I guess.

#36 ·
Spent the better part of the day on the 8123. Wouldn't start a few weeks ago and never looked at it until today. Bad fuel pump. I had a new one on hand, installed it and it fired right up.

Then.............. I have a mountain of soil to move around at a customers house this week. So off came the front PTO, shaft etc. Dug out the dirt blade. Could NOT find my mounting brackets. Searched high, low and in between. Finally made a pair.

Tried it out, the starter died. Bad bushing on the drive end. Went to the shelf, picked out my last used starter in stock and switched it out .

Then I pushed some dirt around near my pile of firewood. Ran the 8123 back into the garage and set up the blade for down pressure. Yup, all set, lifts the front tires off the ground.

So ole ugly 8123 is ready for some trial work at home tomorrow to make sure there are no more bugs before she hits the road to work. :thThumbsU

#37 ·
Then I pushed some dirt around near my pile of firewood. Ran the 8123 back into the garage and set up the blade for down pressure. Yup, all set, lifts the front tires off the ground.
Would like to hear more about how you did this. Maybe some pictures?