My Tractor Forum banner

What did you do to or on your John Deere today?...2.0

2M views 26K replies 771 participants last post by  RT3360 
#1 ·
This is version 2.0 of "What did you do to or on your John Deere today?" :howdy:

#12,761 ·
Well I finally found a decent trailer for cheap. Took a long time but was worth being patient. 07 Thule galvanized tilt trailer. Had to offer the guy $100 over his asking price because so many people were trying to buy it but was still a wicked deal at $700.

And seeing the snow from these pictures figured it’s time to put the thrower on. Don’t want to be doing it the night before it snows.

#12,762 ·
I mowed leaves for the last time yesterday and took off the deck and MCS. Last night a f this morning I installed the loader subframe and mounted the loader for the first time on the 455. Looking forward to using it at my in-laws tomorrow.

I finally got some color on the loader. It looks much better but don’t get too close. I painted it with a roller and foam brush since I couldn’t stink up the garage under the house. There are lots of little imperfections, but it will have to do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boy that is nice!! Looks great.

#12,763 ·
Wow, looks fantastic from here, Turbo!

Random thought: Why do diesel tractors have red fuel tank caps, and gas tractors use black? The gas cans are red, and diesel cans are yellow. Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to have caps that match the can colors???

Mike
The gas stations has black for gas and green for diesel which maybe confusing for some but I think as a safety feature they make the diesel nozzle bigger so it won't fit in a gas car or truck.

#12,764 ·
JDVT: Nice trailer!

Am I going to be the only one prepping as the flakes fall (as usual)? I'm still just getting started with leaves here!

Mike

#12,766 ·
JDVT, that’s a sweet trailer and a great price.

I took the tractor to my in laws to cut up and move a dead tree that fell on the lawn. The tree removal went well, but now the rear ended is making a nasty crunching noise when I turn. I’ll jack it up and take a look tomorrow. It sounds like it might be inside the diff.

#12,767 ·
JDVT: Nice trailer!

Am I going to be the only one prepping as the flakes fall (as usual)? I'm still just getting started with leaves here!

Mike
Probably not.. even tho I’ve put away the DR vac and taken the deck off the X5, it’s in the shop for a lot of stuff to be ready for snow. Need front PTO kit installed in the front axle, actuator wired for blower chute control, cab wired for lights and wipers along with getting panels made up for the rear and front of cab. Loaded tires mounted and rear weight bracket.. yikes.. meanwhile I’ve removed the FEL and added the mulching deck to the x7 just to run over the last stragglers that blow on the yard.

#12,768 ·
I found a really nice looking 2210 with a loader, soft sided cab and 54-inch mower for not much more than that x585 in Maine.

Unfortunately, the 2210 is in western VA (9 hours away from me), and I don't know anyone who Iives near it who could check it out for me.

It's at a dealer who has pretty good reviews on Google Maps (whatever drives those).

Mike

#12,769 ·
Probably not.. even tho I’ve put away the DR vac and taken the deck off the X5, it’s in the shop for a lot of stuff to be ready for snow. Need front PTO kit installed in the front axle, actuator wired for blower chute control, cab wired for lights and wipers along with getting panels made up for the rear and front of cab. Loaded tires mounted and rear weight bracket.. yikes.. meanwhile I’ve removed the FEL and added the mulching deck to the x7 just to run over the last stragglers that blow on the yard.
Well we've had two snows here already, nothing that needed cleared but it is definitely getting to that point, so you're probably not too far out of line getting it started now.

#12,770 ·
The gas stations has black for gas and green for diesel which maybe confusing for some but I think as a safety feature they make the diesel nozzle bigger so it won't fit in a gas car or truck.
Unfortunately gas in a diesel is more likely to cause damage than diesel in a gas.

#12,771 ·
I found a really nice looking 2210 with a loader, soft sided cab and 54-inch mower for not much more than that x585 in Maine.

Unfortunately, the 2210 is in western VA (9 hours away from me), and I don't know anyone who Iives near it who could check it out for me.

It's at a dealer who has pretty good reviews on Google Maps (whatever drives those).

Mike
Just saw Greg Tumblin has a beautiful X748 for sale down in PA, listed on FB. More $ but really nice from the pics.

#12,773 ·
Well I finally found a decent trailer for cheap. Took a long time but was worth being patient. 07 Thule galvanized tilt trailer. Had to offer the guy $100 over his asking price because so many people were trying to buy it but was still a wicked deal at $700.
Wow, congrats, the trailer looks great! And very solid. What size is it? That's a great price, and being galvanized, it should last for a very long time.

The wheels look pretty substantial, too. On the ones I've been looking at, the wheels are kinda skinny. 12", but narrow tires. I think the tires are 4.8" wide, they say to inflate them to 90 psi (!), to handle the 2,000 lb rating of the loaded trailer. Yours look a lot beefier.

#12,774 ·
I took the tractor to my in laws to cut up and move a dead tree that fell on the lawn. The tree removal went well, but now the rear ended is making a nasty crunching noise when I turn. I’ll jack it up and take a look tomorrow. It sounds like it might be inside the diff.
The tractor is looking great! Glad you were able to get the work done. Does the back of the trailer tilt down, or it just how it looks in the picture?

I'm sorry to hear about the crunching noise, that sucks. I hope it's just something simple & cheap!!

#12,775 ·
Took the x7 with the mulching deck to my sons house this morning. First time actually mowing with the big 7 and first time mulching.. worked well making the leaves disappear, but I learned slow and steady wins the race, and going over it a couple times helped too. LOL.
He and his GF just bought it, not bad for 26 and an inspiring electrician. Looking for a rider with at least a 48” and a bagger for him, but not much lately on the market in the budget yet. I figure something will pop up eventually.
Property House Lawn Home Yard

#12,776 ·
Took the x7 with the mulching deck to my sons house this morning. First time actually mowing with the big 7 and first time mulching.. worked well making the leaves disappear, but I learned slow and steady wins the race, and going over it a couple times helped too. LOL.
He and his GF just bought it, not bad for 26 and an inspiring electrician. Looking for a rider with at least a 48” and a bagger for him, but not much lately on the market in the budget yet. I figure something will pop up eventually. View attachment 2481416
An excellent starter home for a young couple. Nice big yard from the looks too.

#12,777 ·
Well yesterday. I decided the mowing season is over. Time to refurbish the 54c deck.
Removed the deck and stripped it all the way down. Going to clean up parts and replace a bunch of rusty fasteners.
The J pins are fine but the associated parts are missing on one, a washer and the bushing. This is the J pin that went all the way in. The PO used a screw driver and hammer to remove! He didn't know the procedure for removing the deck.

Most of the pars look good and don't need replacing. Bearings are fine just a lot of dirt and corrosion.

The bottom side of the deck will be wire wheeled and painted. Haven't really decided on what will be applied. Chassis Paint was suggested. Top will be spot treated.

If the winter is long, I may remove the fender/deck to clean and spot paint worn areas from the PO. Paint is dull but looks good after a bit of rubbing compound. All other maintenance is already done with the exception of the need to place an innertube in one of the rear tires. there is a crack in the sidewall that leaks. Given the price of tires, I will see how long this lasts.

#12,778 · (Edited)
Took most of the day yesterday and finally got all the debris cleaned up from last weeks storm. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - these 4x5s are little monsters. To me, they're worth every penny.

#12,779 ·
Still trying to figure out my deck lift issue.. looking underneath, it looks like the black bracket isn’t centered properly around the step dial..it’s hitting at the top of the black bracket.. (if my totally made up terminology makes sense), can anyone tell me if this looks correct, or should it be resting in the groove?
View attachment 2481168
Yes looks like it is hitting the upper hook instead of the middle where it should. I would think some binding might occur before it moves in to the seated position.

#12,780 ·
Took most of the day yesterday and finally got all the debris cleaned up from last weeks storm. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - these 4x5s are little monsters. To me, they're worth every penny.
That is so cool! I love seeing these machines get to really work. Looks like they've been doing an awful lot of that in the last few days. I'm glad you have them available, those logs are really big. Dealing with all that by hand would be no fun.

How did you get the big one onto the log cart? Pick up one end with the loader, and secure the cart under the log? Then the 3-point, errr, picker-upper lifts the other end, after the cart is in-place?