My Tractor Forum banner

What did you do to or on your John Deere today?...2.0

2M views 26K replies 771 participants last post by  RT3360 
#1 ·
This is version 2.0 of "What did you do to or on your John Deere today?" :howdy:

#11,162 ·
Hello Mr. Beef, aside from the unexpected need for ballast, what do you possibly use that much front weight for on your X748?
I mostly use the front weight bracket with the tiller. It does help

If the nuts will spin it doesn't take that much time to change the width of the WD-45 tires. Helped my father do it several times, loosen a side, start tractor, lock opposite brake and put in 1st gear or reverse (depending on what way you want the tire to go) use hand clutch to feather the tire to desired position. Little grease on the slides makes it move very easy!
Diesel or gas? Great tractor, has all kinds of low end!
It the the gas version.

Just curious...why didn't you just spin the rear tires in?
Allis Chalmers was known for their easy tire adjustment.
They do appear extremely easy to adjust and I intend on doing that this evening. I would have adjusted them on the auction lot but since it was sold as “will run” I didn’t expect to be able to move the wheels on the lot. Between a stuck starter, rusty bolts, and a leaky fuel system i quickly determined it wasn’t going to drive on the trailer. Now that it’s home, under a roof, and I have all the tools etc it will be much easier to work on.

#11,163 ·
My dad bought one new in 1957, was the envy of the local farmers for a few years, plenty of power did everything you could want at the time. Later I realized that the lack of a 3pt. hitch and only one way hydraulics did limit what it could do compared to other farm tractors available around the same time.

#11,164 ·
Hands down the best mod I’ve done on the x748 was converting the loader bucket to QA and a set of Artillian forks.. (thanks for TA). I can switch it in about 2 minutes. Had the 5th wheel hitch installed in my new truck and needed to lift it out to get my bed rug down. Easy peasy...
Vehicle Tree Lawn Leaf Car

also mowed with the 455..

#11,166 ·
Hands down the best mod I’ve done on the x748 was converting the loader bucket to QA and a set of Artillian forks.. (thanks for TA). I can switch it in about 2 minutes. Had the 5th wheel hitch installed in my new truck and needed to lift it out to get my bed rug down. Easy peasy...
View attachment 2463063

also mowed with the 455..
How you like that step on the tailgate. Looks very handy.

#11,167 ·
How you like that step on the tailgate. Looks very handy.
Omg.. seriously worth the price for the truck right there... Being able to step up into and not climb is sooo nice! I Always buy used and get 8-9 years out Of them.. but found a great deal on this 2019 f250 with 11k on it and couldn’t pass it up. I’m real happy with it so far.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trailer Transport

Reactions: PA318Guy
#11,169 ·
VERY nice truck! And loader setup on the Deere, of course!

Mike

#11,170 ·
Rolled the 210 that has been sitting for two years into the garage. Original problem was, wouldn't crank. I thought I had a bad starter...... So, wanting to test a bit, hooked up the fully charged battery, gave it some throttle, full choke, hit the key. It cranked for about 30 seconds and fired right up....... Think I need to replace the battery cables on that one...... :D

#11,172 ·
Is the F250 a long bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.. short bed..6’10”. I believe they list it as. I have a sliding 5th wheel hitch which moves back when I corner to allow extra room.

#11,173 ·
How is the sprayer mounted to the tractor. I bought a 25 gallon sprayer this year and mounted it on an old Polaris ATV but would rather have it on my GT235.
Cannon
The sprayer frame replaces the weight bracket, on the x748.
1st pic: on the top left is the pin that hold the upper frame and bottom center is the lower support frame that slides over and snaps onto a post on the tractor frame.
2nd pic: a better shot of the latch that holds the lower bracket in place. I see that I need to do some fixing there! The spring, on the shiny bolt, has pushed through the latch plate... :(
3rd pic: Sprayer frame mounted to the tractor frame.
4th pic: Sprayer tank and how it mounts to the sprayer frame.

I don't know anything about a GT235 but, based on the picture I found, I don't think THIS sprayer would work for you. John Deere may offer a similar sprayer designed for your machine though...and a quick look in the online parts catalog and it looks like they MIGHT offer one that will work.

#11,174 · (Edited)
First cut on about a 1/2 acre that I graded and re-seeded, plus second cut over the septic field and the flatter area between them. The re-seeded area was really dusty... in hindsight I should have watered it before cutting. This might be the first time in several years that I'm actually in town during the fastest growing period so hopefully will get a chance to see what the lawn looks like if I cut it more than a couple of times a year. Hoping it gives the grass a fighting chance against the weeds for a change.

Rented a Billy Goat brush mower from HD for a week and am working my way through all the weedy areas that seem too steep and tippy for the GT235.

Gradually working my way back to proper maintenance on the GT235 - dropped the mower deck and greased the bushings, and greased the steering gear. Blew all the accumulated grass & seeds off the deck (yeah I should do that every time I use it) and gave it a quick wash. Found the tune-up kit in the back of the portable garage so oil/filter change etc... is next.

Thinking about changing the transaxle fluid early since I spent several hours dragging the crushed stone driveway with a bunch of concrete blocks on the drag. Not sure what kind of usage is assumed for the 250 hr interval.

#11,176 ·
Well was out mowing with the 322 I bought from NY and it started making all kinds of noise, thought may the deck idler was going but turned off PTO and it was still making noise....uh oh! Shut it down and then dropped the loader off my other 322 and swapped the mower deck out and just finished mowing. Just put the NY 322 in the shed for the night will try to see what is going on with it. I think a motor mount may have came loose or failed as I noticed the fan blades showed sign of scraping on something.

#11,178 ·
B-block (400) and (unfortunately) a 727.
View attachment 2463101

I had a '72 Power Wagon, with a 360, 4-spd, NP-205 transfer case, and an 8 3/4 rear-end... I should have kept it. :(
Yeah buddy. I have a few of each right now.

Well was out mowing with the 322 I bought from NY and it started making all kinds of noise, thought may the deck idler was going but turned off PTO and it was still making noise....uh oh! Shut it down and then dropped the loader off my other 322 and swapped the mower deck out and just finished mowing. Just put the NY 322 in the shed for the night will try to see what is going on with it. I think a motor mount may have came loose or failed as I noticed the fan blades showed sign of scraping on something.
Not a happy day. I hope it's simple.