·
Premium Member
14,928 Posts
Wow, that's hard to believe!

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Roundup (glyphosate is the active ingredient if it is actually 'roundup', and not one of the other roundup branded products that the home/garden places sometimes sell) works by translocating from the green parts of the plant down to the roots for the kill.

This is different than some herbicides that may will burn off the leaves --- but not kill the roots, which can lead to regrowth. I understand that re-growth is one of the problems when trying to control knotweed)
Roundup is not persistent in the soil, so is not effective against later seed germination.
Roundup sprayed on regrowth should reduce the regrowth, but with fewer/smaller leaves there is less surface for the active ingredient to enter the plant.

Have you tried spraying the knotweed a few days to a week before cutting it, rather than spraying the pile after cutting/collecting?

Sorry if spouting off stuff you already know or have tried.
Been dealing with it a while. With knotweed its best to spray in the fall when they're going dormant because they suck nutrients back into the roots. Spraying during the growing season is just to help it from not going nuts, mostly. I try to keep it clipped short to dissuade animals / bees from getting killed by the herbicides though. Kind of tricky because I'm also actively working on building up stuff for pollinators at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
Grapple came in handy cleaning up the mess from the storms. It significantly reduced my chainsaw time!
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Cloud

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,242 Posts
Grapple came in handy cleaning up the mess from the storms. It significantly reduced my chainsaw time!
View attachment 2555704
Mines green (Duetz/Allis) but not JD green and the thumb on the backhoe works almost as well as a grapple in a FEL.

·
Registered
348 Posts
@Jere39

Sure a drive over deck would be nice and might cut better but it's a lot of dough to find that out. It would be nice to be able to drop the deck a bit faster when i want to use the loader. Everyone's lawn is a bit different and what works for one might not be the best for someone else. Is there something like a plow day for different mowers and mower decks? Do the 7iron and HC decks really cut that much better than the 54C and 62 decks?
A drive over deck is a super convienence! The auto-connect is nice, but not a requirement. In fact, I think most would agree that a standard drive-shaft connection is quieter. The auto-connect requires paying close attention to lining up. I really like the newer 60HC deck for the drive over ramps that pop off for cleaning. The 60HC deck handles thick lush grasses better than any deck I have had. When it comes to best looking cut. It's hard to beat the 54C deck. But I never want another one of those because I was always having to scrape huge amounts of grass packed on the underside. Even when waiting until the grass was dry in the midday. I'll tolerate the bit of terracing I see as the big deck dips on the sides. Maybe when the tires wear out, a heavier ply choice might alleviate some of that.

·
Super Moderator
43,970 Posts
Separated some small parts (I had on the shelf) into boxes for PA322 and NY322 that will go with the sale. The bigger stuff, and things I may still need for NY322, are back on the shelf. Other than that my Son is taking me for a belated Fathers Day dinner (he had to work through the weekend) in Erie, PA today!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
We've been working in the kids yard most every day. Day before yesterday my wife started feeling sick, and running a temp. Yesterday she felt worse, and late in the day pulled her sleeve up and said what's that? I said it looks like a spider bite? You should got to immediate care. She decided to wait till this morning, and felt worse, so went to immediate care. After 2 1/2 hours she got a nurse junior grade. It's lymes. Ticks don't bite once and let go. They suck your blood and you have to pull them off. They also do not leave two fang marks in the center of a 1/4" necrotizing wound. My wife got an appointment with her real doctor. A friend got home and sat down in a lounge chair under a shade tree. When he leaned back he thought he got stung by a bee. Shrugged it off till the next day when he woke up really sick. Went to the hospital, Lymes. Then a nurse came in that was from California. She said looks like a spider bite. We have lots of widows and recluse's out there. I think that people that have never seen a Black Widow figure they are too exotic to even consider them, so they go with the quick and easy. Well, I found two of these in my wood piles, mid summer the past two years. I hate gloves, but wear them when working in the wood piles in the summer. Juvenile Eastern Black Widow.

·
Premium Member
14,928 Posts
YIKES!!!

Mike

Reactions: LouToolGuy

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
A drive over deck is a super convienence! The auto-connect is nice, but not a requirement. In fact, I think most would agree that a standard drive-shaft connection is quieter. The auto-connect requires paying close attention to lining up. I really like the newer 60HC deck for the drive over ramps that pop off for cleaning. The 60HC deck handles thick lush grasses better than any deck I have had. When it comes to best looking cut. It's hard to beat the 54C deck. But I never want another one of those because I was always having to scrape huge amounts of grass packed on the underside. Even when waiting until the grass was dry in the midday. I'll tolerate the bit of terracing I see as the big deck dips on the sides. Maybe when the tires wear out, a heavier ply choice might alleviate some of that.
drive over deck - definitely a plus.
auto-connect - not always right, but better than crawling under the tractor every time. Makes it so I don’t hesitate taking the deck off for other things.
60HC deck - I don’t seem to have that much trouble with my 54HC, but my son’s 60HC deck gives a great cut. I believe my 60” 7 Iron deck gives an even better cut with very little buildup. I believe the extra weight of the thicker deck keeps it from bouncing giving the wavy look. I did have to slow the 757 down a little in places today on the soccer field, just so I wasn’t leaving stragglers. No problem with the grass/weeds/clover slowing the engine down though.

·
Registered
2020 John Deere e170, 48 inch Mower Deck, 44 inch Snow Blower
155 Posts
Did nothing. Too dang hot in Mi today and forecast is hot and dry. Grass not growing so with her summer BDU on (mower deck) she sleeps in the shed.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Carolyn didn't tell me they cut the necrotic part of the bite out. She pulled the band aid off and it looks much better. The center where it looks kind of gray was swollen at least a 1/4 inch around and was at least a 1/4 inch out. It was dark gray, black, and purple. They put her on pretty powerful antibiotics for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So they made a target area there so the spiders would know where to biter her again???? 🤣 🕷🕷 Glad you got her to a Dr. that could have gotten much worse without medical intervention.
So they made a target area there so the spiders would know where to biter her again???? 🤣 🕷🕷 Glad you got her to a Dr. that could have gotten much worse without medical intervention.
Actually she put the target on yesterday trying to catch them sneaking up. She wanted to see if the overall size got bigger and the necrotic part was growing. Form last night to this morning they both got bigger so when I told her to got to Immediate Care, she called our daughter, and she said go too. She took off.

·
Premium Member
14,928 Posts
Yuck. Definitely the right call to get that looked after...

Mike

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I bring the beer from my favorite pub, and he supply's the Lobster, and say hello.
Now I’m confused. I thought you were driving to Michigan. Last time I checked there isn’t any place catch lobster there.

Or, are you talking about your trip to Maine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19921 - 19940 of 20412 Posts