My Tractor Forum banner
19901 - 19920 of 20353 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,933 Posts
So nearly dropped the X728 into this ditch today, still not perfect with the foot controls and small mistakes can lead to major headaches, fortunately I quickly corrected. I was backing up to mow alongside my driveway marker and then instead of hitting the forward pedal hit the reverse again. Circle is where the back left wheel was at when I hit the forward pedal, rear right was where the red X is at, the 4 WD pulled me right out though:

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

This is where the deck was cutting into the bank on the right side:

Plant Toy Grass Grassland Groundcover

I will try not to do that again!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,846 Posts
So nearly dropped the X728 into this ditch today, still not perfect with the foot controls and small mistakes can lead to major headaches, fortunately I quickly corrected. I was backing up to mow alongside my driveway marker and then instead of hitting the forward pedal hit the reverse again. Circle is where the back left wheel was at when I hit the forward pedal, rear right was where the red X is at, the 4 WD pulled me right out though:

View attachment 2555434

This is where the deck was cutting into the bank on the right side:

View attachment 2555435

I will try not to do that again!
That’s a situation where the full-time 4WD sure came in handy!

·
Premium Member
7,582 Posts
If you were in Gahanna Ohio today you might have seen me passing thru, or moving dirt. No Video, sorry Tim. X495 did great. Thanks to some new utilities to my co-workers place the dirt was left a mess, you could barely walk in that area, I used the box grader & dragged about a yard of dirt to low area & shaved off high areas.
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Grass Groundcover Shrub Landscape Grass family

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No idea? I just put the add in my navigation and she tells me where to go. I was hoping to have a friend riding shotgun, but I don't think he can make it? Might be just me and MS Navi.
What are you driving all the way up there for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,846 Posts
Just back from a vacation at the beach (Cape May) with great friends. My lawn is in desperate need of a mow, so I'm on it. Unfortunately, I missed a cherry 2017 x758 from a local used Deere equipment sales location. He had 2x x738 and 2x x758 all with under 200 hours and looking pristine. And more unfortunately, there were at least 4 folks not on vacation watching his listings. I would have been happy with either x738 or x758 as the all had drive over and auto connect decks. Kind of a dream come true for a guy whose back is getting allergic to cold dirty concrete.
Jere, have you seen this one?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,985 Posts
Jere, have you seen this one?

I had not seen it. Wow, that is a well loaded tractor and the price is not unreasonable. I appreciate you spotting it and pointing it out to me. It includes several things I don't need or even want. But, I suppose they would all be opportunities to recover some of the cost by selling them again. Or repackage as part of the listing for my x728. Thanks again. Now I have to make some decisions.

By the way, do you know what the vertical bracket on the left side, just in front of the foot well? Is it part of the drive-over/auto connect? Or some counter balance to the MCS attachment?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had not seen it. Wow, that is a well loaded tractor and the price is not unreasonable. I appreciate you spotting it and pointing it out to me. It includes several things I don't need or even want. But, I suppose they would all be opportunities to recover some of the cost by selling them again. Or repackage as part of the listing for my x728. Thanks again. Now I have to make some decisions.

By the way, do you know what the vertical bracket on the left side, just in front of the foot well? Is it part of the drive-over/auto connect? Or some counter balance to the MCS attachment?
Lift rod support for the front mounted de-thatcher. You going to offer your x728 here first? While it'd be nice to upgrade so far the x585 is treating me well.

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,227 Posts
Now that's a pile of chips! 8ft high and at least 7 ft at the narrow part of the base.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,985 Posts
Lift rod support for the front mounted de-thatcher. You going to offer your x728 here first? While it'd be nice to upgrade so far the x585 is treating me well.
Thanks. Another option I didn't think about when contemplating what that vertical bracket/handle might be for.

And, sometimes I get ideas that I explore before making a commitment. My x728 has been a perfect fit to my tractor needs. It has been easy on maintenance; new seat, new front tires, and a new tie rod that was probably my fault. It is 12 years old now, though it cleans up really nice. I don't "need" a new tractor. I'm not even sure I want a new tractor. I do know I don't enjoy the deck install/remove act, but I do it once in the Spring and once in the Fall. I think I would appreciate the deeper deck for when I mow edges and food plots. I wonder if the aggravation of the deck install would be offset by the extra complexity and potential for issues of the auto-connect. I don't actually have a problem with sliding my current 62" deck under the tractor. So, in the consideration process, I also have to weigh the continued reliability of a 12 year old with 900 hours tractor versus the cost of an "almost" new tractor.

If I were to complete my consideration and move forward, I would make known here that a fine working x728 was on the market. And, offer up a quick grilled lunch and a cold refreshing drink to anyone showing up with trailer or roll back for a pick up. I'm not there yet - but, for that matter, any MTF member who gives me a day notice would be welcome to use the grill and drink offer on their way through this corner of Chester County anytime anyway.

I appreciate, more than I can explain the kind of advice and testing of my thought processes this forum offers. Any and all comments, suggestions, answers, and options are always considered. Thanks to all who participate!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Grass has really gotten dry here in central Illinois. So much so, that mowing is going to really slow down, maybe halt. What it also means is, that the screens on the X750 are packing with fine cuttings and dust. I carry a horsehair brush and stop when I see the temp start to climb to clean all the screens.

·
Registered
401 Posts
@Jere39

I feel exactly the same about my x585. It is fully optioned with 3pt and PTO although i've never used the PTO. I added the joystick and did the H4 mod. Sure HFWD would be nice. Sure a drive over deck would be nice and might cut better but it's a lot of dough to find that out. It would be nice to be able to drop the deck a bit faster when i want to use the loader. Everyone's lawn is a bit different and what works for one might not be the best for someone else. Is there something like a plow day for different mowers and mower decks? Do the 7iron and HC decks really cut that much better than the 54C and 62 decks? There's the guy in NH that is parting out an x748 and has a 7iron for sale for $550 i think but it's a bit of a hike away and not a direct fit because the x4/x5 and early x7s didn't have the extra hole on the frame for the deck arms.

I suppose that's always an option - add a drive over 7iron deck to your x728 - you don't have to get auto-connect either. You latch the pto manually like you do now after you drive over the deck.

Just some of my musings about the situation we're in.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,985 Posts
@Jere39

I feel exactly the same about my x585. It is fully optioned with 3pt and PTO although i've never used the PTO. I added the joystick and did the H4 mod. Sure HFWD would be nice. Sure a drive over deck would be nice and might cut better but it's a lot of dough to find that out. It would be nice to be able to drop the deck a bit faster when i want to use the loader. Everyone's lawn is a bit different and what works for one might not be the best for someone else. Is there something like a plow day for different mowers and mower decks? Do the 7iron and HC decks really cut that much better than the 54C and 62 decks? There's the guy in NH that is parting out an x748 and has a 7iron for sale for $550 i think but it's a bit of a hike away and not a direct fit because the x4/x5 and early x7s didn't have the extra hole on the frame for the deck arms.

I suppose that's always an option - add a drive over 7iron deck to your x728 - you don't have to get auto-connect either. You latch the pto manually like you do now after you drive over the deck.

Thanks, I feel you. And a 7-iron deck might just be a perfect upgrade for my x728 and it's mid-life crisis. NH is a fair piece for me here in PA. Though combined with a quick vacation on a Vermont Lake might make it a fair deal.

I'll keep thinking here.

Reactions: ivel03

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,846 Posts
@Jere39

And one other factor in the calculus that is harder for young guys to quantify, is how would you value these trade-offs differently 30 years down the road, when kids have been raised, college bills have been paid, home has been remodeled, the body is not as forgiving or flexible as it used to be, and you’re just not getting any younger? For me as I age, new, reliable, convenient all get weighted more heavily.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Jere, not sure if you are on Facebook marketplace, but I see the nicest tractors come up from PA. No way would I drive up to New England if I were you. Have you considered a 45 loader? With all the cool equipment you have now, that is the obvious missing implement.

On the drive over topic, I wonder if I could retro fit my deck with some guards that would enable me to drive over it. The worst part of the deck install is sliding it under. I store my deck down by my lower lawn so it’s always on grass when I install/remove. I will give this some thought.

I suppose I could also bring it up to the driveway with the forks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jere, not sure if you are on Facebook marketplace, but I see the nicest tractors come up from PA. No way would I drive up to New England if I were you. Have you considered a 45 loader? With all the cool equipment you have now, that is the obvious missing implement.

On the drive over topic, I wonder if I could retro fit my deck with some guards that would enable me to drive over it. The worst part of the deck install is sliding it under. I store my deck down by my lower lawn so it’s always on grass when I install/remove. I will give this some thought.

I suppose I could also bring it up to the driveway with the forks.

The drive over decks have a round bar welded to the bottom of them so they are stronger to be able to drive over. I'm sure the non-drive over decks could be reinforced to be drive over without too much hassle. I guess the thought is over time they'd flex and crack or splay out. If you added that bar it would also be a wear bar on the left side where the shell is typically eaten away on heavily used decks.

Someone posted that they were going to attempt to mount an HC deck to an x5x5 series (i think it was) and i was curious how that'd go. There was a 54HC pretty local for sale that i thought about buying but they wanted $1400 for it and it didn't come with the T bar arms nor the pto shaft b/c it was auto-connect. If i could find one at a reasonable price i'd modify the deck to fit or at least try! I figure i can modify a set of arms to be offset to match the later models with 2 holes in the frame for hanging the arms.

@Jere39 - this one might be a direct fit as well, it seems reasonable priced and has the T Bar to go along with it. The real question is how the hangers connect to the T Bar because the later models are adjustable from above. i thought you had a 62C so maybe going down to a 54 is out of the question. If it was local i would have probably purchased it already - I've thought about seeing what it'd cost to fastenal it to my location but i need another project like a hole in the head...

·
Registered
John Deere X595 with 45 loader, 445, 430, 330, and too many more
281 Posts
I am guilty of driving over my 62c deck with my X595. I’ve thought about reinforcing it and making some ramps for it. It would make it easier to get under. I’d still have to connect the PTO shaft, but that’s not too bad.

19901 - 19920 of 20353 Posts