My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
16621 - 16640 of 16819 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Didn't do anything to the Deere(s) today however I finally put my order in for a hood, side panels and screens for the 445. Anxiously awaiting the arrival as they will most definitely be a visual improvement.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,383 Posts
Added oil to the Johnson Workhorse loader and marked the full line with a Dremel on a new vented oil dipstick cap for a 42 hydro tiller being used on a 30 hydro tiller. I also had to trim the bottom 1/2” or so off the bottom of the dipstick to make it fit. Original cap was damaged, would not tighten and was not vented.

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
Thanks! I used this sucker: Oregon 07-403 Inline Fuel Shut Off 1/4" Ball Valve , Gray
Grabbed it off amazon for $16 bucks. Seems well built and solid (way better than those black/red plastic suckers).

Here's the link.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the link!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Thanks! I used this sucker: Oregon 07-403 Inline Fuel Shut Off 1/4" Ball Valve , Gray
Grabbed it off amazon for $16 bucks. Seems well built and solid (way better than those black/red plastic suckers).

Here's the link.
Thanks! Yeah, that does look nice. I've bought the eBay black/red plastic ones. One of them felt like it turned very easily, but it sealed fine. Until I test-ran the snowblower that fall, when it leaked everywhere as soon as I turned it on :)

So I bought the Briggs black/red ones since then. They have been ok for me so far, and with maybe 5 or so installed, the $5 was a useful savings.

But maybe I should consider better ones for the equipment that just needs to work every time. Like the snowblowers, etc.

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
I've had good luck with the Briggs plastic valves, but they just look and feel flimsy.

I did have one Briggs plastic valve that leaked, but it was one of the ones that connect into (under) the tank. May have just been a bad grommet / o-ring, but I replaced the assembly which came with a new valve and grommet to avoid having to do the job twice.

I think I'd prefer brass or stainless, something sturdy but non-reactive with ethanol/water.

Mike

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Just reading the posts on fuel shut off valves and wondering if this is the right approach to winterizing an engine? Stabil is made for a reason and having fuel in the system is necessary to eliminate the possibility of water from forming (condensation). Running an engine dry will never remove all the fuel from a carburetor therefore leaving it prone to having the gas gum up in areas (needle and seat and small orifices). I know everyone has their own preference and experience but I treat every tank of gas with stabilizer and make sure to keep all tanks full. I have also not had the carburetor issues I read about every day on forums in my lawn equipment or boat. JMO

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
How much ethanol is in the gas that you buy?

Here, it's 10-15%.

Mike

Reactions: jmb6420

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also always use marine stabilizer in all of my gas, but additionally turn off the shutoff and run them dry at the end of the season. I've always had good luck with that approach, with immediate starts in the spring and not needing to clean out my carbs etc. I do keep the tank full as well. (I do this on my snow blower, lawn tractors, and motorcycles).

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Just reading the posts on fuel shut off valves and wondering if this is the right approach to winterizing an engine? Stabil is made for a reason and having fuel in the system is necessary to eliminate the possibility of water from forming (condensation). Running an engine dry will never remove all the fuel from a carburetor therefore leaving it prone to having the gas gum up in areas (needle and seat and small orifices). I know everyone has their own preference and experience but I treat every tank of gas with stabilizer and make sure to keep all tanks full. I have also not had the carburetor issues I read about every day on forums in my lawn equipment or boat. JMO
All our gas is 10% ethanol. Personally, I run fuel stabilizer all the time, even mid-season. I view it as cheap insurance, because sometimes equipment (snowblower) might suddenly not get used again, even "mid season".

For the off-season, I run the engine, close the fuel shutoff, and run it until it dies, adding choke at the end to help it go a little longer. If the bowl has a drain (only my generator does), then I'll drain that as well. This has been successful for me, no issues. To me, it seems like yes, there will still be some fuel in the bowl, but it's much less than with a full bowl, anyways.

I really didn't have problems when I was just using stabilizer, and leaving the bowls full, either. But this is my current practice, and it's worked well so far.

Though the walk-behind mower has no fuel shutoff, and frankly gets less care than my other engines :) It has stabilizer, but sits over the winter with the bowl full, and has always started right up.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm not really a fan of fuel stabilizers..... Every time I used it in the 2 cycle equipment, it had to go to the shop before it would start again. If I just left a full tank of fuel in it, (or no fuel at all.) it would fire up fairly quickly. For my tractors and such, I just make sure the fuel tank is full, and call it good. Come spring, I can throw the battery back in them, crank 'em a bit, and they fire right up. Two are fuel injected, one is a carbed. All three don't give me any problems.

·
Jerk of all trades
547 Posts
Don't forget seafoam ....;)

Reactions: redcc

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't forget seafoam ....;)
Used a whole can of Seafoam and some carb cleaner to get my old GT235 fired up last spring after stupidly leaving about 3/4 of a tank of ethanol in it. Found a station with separate pumps for non-ethanol and have used nothing but since.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Well as I was mowing with PA322 today it started running on only 2 cylinders. It would recover in just a minute or two but it repeated it about 3 times. So I stopped mowing for a while to let it cool down. I'll try again later to see if it continues before I start to troubleshoot. I'm suspecting a coil or spark plug wire issue since it recovered each time.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
16621 - 16640 of 16819 Posts