My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
16601 - 16620 of 16820 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,511 Posts
Jere, check out the youtube conversions to a dewalt 20V battery. They increase power and speed, and last longer. Not for the toddler just learning. Definitely for the dare devil.
Yea, the 5 year old is too tall, his knees are up against the dash. So, I just need to button up the case on the battery. The connections to the actual battery were disconnected. Only way I found to get in was to break a plastic button. It is pretty much the size of an auto trim button, which I have in my garage, just need to take a couple to daughter's house and size one up.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! I'd love to see pics as the project progresses. Having that tractor, plus the loader, must be an awesome combination of tools.

I put down 13 yards (~13 tons) of dirt in the yard over the past month, with a MUCH less impressive setup :) So I'm sure it took me a lot longer than with your equipment, and didn't do as good a job. But it was still really cool to see what GTs can do. With something like that tractor and loader, I'll bet it'll handle that very nicely!
Wow, that is awesome! I'd love to see pics as the project progresses. Having that tractor, plus the loader, must be an awesome combination of tools.

I put down 13 yards (~13 tons) of dirt in the yard over the past month, with a MUCH less impressive setup :) So I'm sure it took me a lot longer than with your equipment, and didn't do as good a job. But it was still really cool to see what GTs can do. With something like that tractor and loader, I'll bet it'll handle that very nicely!
Finished day 2 on my grading project - Took the time to level it out and prep everything for the crushed asphalt being delivered in a few days.

Plant Nature Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt
Water Sky Water resources Daytime Light

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Nice! How did you level it? Like, just skill with back-dragging the loader? Or do you have a blade, or box-scraper, etc?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Today I ordered the electric lift actuator for the snow blower. I haven't used the snow blower yet, but in the spring when I did the test fit, I was a little weary of the manual lift lever. It seemed very heavy and a little bit flimsy, so I decided today to not even try it! Lol

View attachment 2523325
You'll love it! I put one on my LA165 after about 5 years of using the hand lever. OMG what a difference! I think it was about $400 at the time. I would have paid $550 knowing what a time and effort saver it was!

Reactions: Paul Windisch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice! How did you level it? Like, just skill with back-dragging the loader? Or do you have a blade, or box-scraper, etc?
I removed the tooth bar and used a combo of back dragging and scalping the surface with the bucket driving forward. Took a bit of trail and error as I don't have a ton of experience. I do have a blade i may use to level and spread the stone. We will see when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Very cool. This looks like a nice way to gain experience, anyways!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Thanks guys, for being my support group. I get buyer's remorse for purchases like this, but you guys have me feeling confident it is all worth it!
Ha, well if this makes me part of a support group, so be it! I have enjoyed figuring out ways that my tractor can help with other projects, not just mowing. Even if my tractor is different colors besides yellow & green.

But if the tractor can make a process quicker, simpler, safer, and avoid beating you up, then I think that's great. Whatever that use is. Snow removal, pulling a trailer, moving items around, etc.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
480 Posts
You'll love it! I put one on my LA165 after about 5 years of using the hand lever. OMG what a difference! I think it was about $400 at the time. I would have paid $550 knowing what a time and effort saver it was!
Yes! And, I think you had the older version of the snow blower with the better operating manual lift. Although I have not used the older version, mine seems much more difficult to operate, as there is no fulcrum point to gain any mechanical advantage. It is just bolted directly to the side of the lift.

I am feeling better about the purchase of the actuator!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Used the 445 and cyclone rake to suck up leaves during my lunch. After 2 uses, the cyclone rake was full. This is only with one maple out of four actually dropping leaves right now.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Yes! And, I think you had the older version of the snow blower with the better operating manual lift. Although I have not used the older version, mine seems much more difficult to operate, as there is no fulcrum point to gain any mechanical advantage. It is just bolted directly to the side of the lift.

I am feeling better about the purchase of the actuator!
For some of these things, I also think of them in terms of potential health aspects.

If $500 means you don't tear something in your shoulder, or that you can still move and function the next day, that helps put stuff in perspective :) One injury could more than pay for a loader, for instance.

·
Super Moderator
38,512 Posts
For some of these things, I also think of them in terms of potential health aspects.

If $500 means you don't tear something in your shoulder, or that you can still move and function the next day, that helps put stuff in perspective :) One injury could more than pay for a loader, for instance.
Heck just a couple of times keeping me from injuring my back is worth it to me!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
For sure! And even though my setup is nothing like what other people post, it let me move about 5 tons of material in an afternoon, by myself. All I had to do was sit and steer. And at the end I felt fine.

If I was trying to do that by hand, it would have taken much longer, and I would have been feeling like crap. Plus maybe hurting myself, especially once you're tired, and using the wrong muscles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Been a project on my list for a while to remove these old planter bends the previous owner has. I don't grow or have any interest to grow my own vegetables at the current time so they were just a paint to mow around. Might have been easier removing the soil with a Piranha toothbar that I keep putting off picking up. Either way it saved me from having to move 7 loads of soil by hand.

·
Jerk of all trades
547 Posts
I spent some time mangling an eccentric collar on my 42" snow thrower today.. :whistle:

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Been a project on my list for a while to remove these old planter bends the previous owner has. I don't grow or have any interest to grow my own vegetables at the current time so they were just a paint to mow around. Might have been easier removing the soil with a Piranha toothbar that I keep putting off picking up. Either way it saved me from having to move 7 loads of soil by hand.

That looks great! What's different about the Piranha bar? Or does the bucket just currently have a smooth bar, vs some other style of toothed version?

·
Registered
170 Posts
That looks great! What's different about the Piranha bar? Or does the bucket just currently have a smooth bar, vs some other style of toothed version?
Just the regular smooth bucket edge. I don't have any tooth bar right now on it yet.

I want the piranha bar since it is more of a smooth bottom but yet with an edge to cut in but not with teeth that point down like a regular tooth bar.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Used my x748 with mid mount blade to smooth out my stone path thru the woods used in our haunted woods. Not a lot of jobs for a MMB, but boy, it does this one very well. we have a 1/4 mile trail with 20 different scenes.

View attachment 2522727

Then got the X595 out to mow the lawn. Dropped the deck to give it a close cut as it will be covered with Halloween blow ups, lights and extension cords for the next 3 weeks.

View attachment 2522726

We been doing this for 6 years now, we host a number of walk-thru’s with different groups, and it’s a lot of fun.. however this will be the last. I spent 3 weeks getting it all up and ready and my wife and I are ready to start scaling it back.
The indescribably beautiful, fourth of July leg lamp goes in the window on 11/1.

16601 - 16620 of 16820 Posts