My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
15741 - 15760 of 16350 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Played with all three 60” decks this evening. It was a lot of fun and playing with the machines at the same time and feeling and seeing the improvements over the years.

·
Super Moderator
38,071 Posts
Welcomed the new guy to the fold. Did a quick mowing test. Got to say, can't go wrong here.

View attachment 2513749
You'll be hard pressed to find a better cutting deck than the 50 inch. The only one I've had that was as good was the 38" but it just took too much time to mow the yard with it. The 585 did a nice job too though.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find a better cutting deck than the 50 inch. The only one I've had that was as good was the 38" but it just took too much time to mow the yard with it. The 585 did a nice job too though.
After I walked down the 3 mowing paths, I had to second check myself. I was like dang, the 50" path looks great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Played with all three 60” decks this evening. It was a lot of fun and playing with the machines at the same time and feeling and seeing the improvements over the years.
I don't remember seeing one in your posts but i'd be interested to see how a 62C (x4x5, x5x5 or x700 series) compares to the 455 60" and the 60HC decks. I've seen a lot of discussion mentioning that they're not as good but that's not very quantifiable.

@mrbeef - thanks for the video and i hope you get some more rain to keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Well, I started and decided to stop the clearing. The incessant heat along with pain staking task of taming the jungle got the better of me. I will be renting either an excavator or having someone come an doze the area. I thought a little seat time would be enjoyable and let me get used to the box blade but I was WRONG!!!!!!!
1st pic- looking toward the area needing attention- about 75 feet back from the grass.

2nd pic- a shot from the edge looking back. Keep in mind this goes back 900 feet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to the fourm so trying to figure this out, I pulled out the tiller and plow for the 317 to put on for show as well as starting working on getting the throttle fixed (again) and gave up and needed to ask some questions, so just joined on here to see

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,779 Posts
Some more pics from the trip to the farm. And photographic proof that I do get my tractors at least a little dirty. I mean it had been plowing for almost 6 hours. Blows my mind that this tractor potentially has north of 5,000 hours on its original unopened engine and transmission and can still for run WOT and full load for 6 hours and not burn a measurable amount oil.
Actually I’m pretty sure it runs better now than it did before.

·
Premium Member
11,825 Posts
Well, I started and decided to stop the clearing. The incessant heat along with pain staking task of taming the jungle got the better of me. I will be renting either an excavator or having someone come an doze the area. I thought a little seat time would be enjoyable and let me get used to the box blade but I was WRONG!!!!!!!
1st pic- looking toward the area needing attention- about 75 feet back from the grass. View attachment 2513956 View attachment 2513957
2nd pic- a shot from the edge looking back. Keep in mind this goes back 900 feet.
You either have more money, or less patience, (or both), than I do, LOL... I'd 100% wait until all that growth dies back for winter and try then.

New to the fourm so trying to figure this out, I pulled out the tiller and plow for the 317 to put on for show as well as starting working on getting the throttle fixed (again) and gave up and needed to ask some questions, so just joined on here to see
Welcome to the site! I think you need 15 posts to be able to post pics. Keep plugging away, can't wait to see your machine! In the meantime, if you have specific questions about your machines, post them and we'll try to help.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
1st pic- looking toward the area needing attention- about 75 feet back from the grass. View attachment 2513956 View attachment 2513957
What are you trying to do specifically? Use the box blade to rip up the weeds/undergrowth? Does the ground under the weeds need to be leveled? What would the purpose of the excavator be? A skid steer with a brush mower might be a better starting piece of equipment. As you found out a garden tractor can have limits. Let’s us know what you are trying to do and we can see if there are some tools that can help out.

I don't remember seeing one in your posts but i'd be interested to see how a 62C (x4x5, x5x5 or x700 series) compares to the 455 60" and the 60HC decks. I've seen a lot of discussion mentioning that they're not as good but that's not very quantifiable.

@mrbeef - thanks for the video and i hope you get some more rain to keep them coming.
Sadly I do not have a 54C or 62C deck to try out. One thing to remember is that deck cut is relative to specific situations. In my experience with the 54C and 62C their cut quality is fine and on par with the 60” deck of the 4-5 units, but the capacity to cut taller grass is significantly lower than the 7-Iron or what is it the 54HC and 60HC decks and probably a little better than the 60” deck for the 4-5 units. Like you mention it is very hard to quantify deck capacity. If we get some more rain and grow some more grass I’ll try and do a video on deck capacity. I’m in the process of trying to find either a 54C or 62C deck to try out again…. Granted it’s doubtful I will have enough of a consistent grass stand to do much testing….. 100 degrees yesterday and the only rain in the forecast is a chance on Friday, tells me the grass isn’t growing anytime soon. Ehhh for my yard, terrible for farmers.

·
Super Moderator
38,071 Posts
Some more pics from the trip to the farm. And photographic proof that I do get my tractors at least a little dirty. I mean it had been plowing for almost 6 hours. Blows my mind that this tractor potentially has north of 5,000 hours on its original unopened engine and transmission and can still for run WOT and full load for 6 hours and not burn a measurable amount oil.
Actually I’m pretty sure it runs better now than it did before.
View attachment 2513967
View attachment 2513968
View attachment 2513969
Oh come on now you sprinkled that dust on there just to appease us! :) They are amazing machines when maintained properly.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
What are you trying to do specifically? Use the box blade to rip up the weeds/undergrowth? Does the ground under the weeds need to be leveled? What would the purpose of the excavator be? A skid steer with a brush mower might be a better starting piece of equipment. As you found out a garden tractor can have limits. Let’s us know what you are trying to do and we can see if there are some tools that can help out.
Well, that is a very good question. First, I was not expecting much in the way of the box blade other than experimentation. I had just recently installed the sleeve hitch and converted to power. More so, just wanting to give it shot and see how well it worked. Mission accomplished, the blade functioned as designed, I did not expect it to handle this monster. Second, this area was cleared a little over a year ago with a skidsteer/brush cutter attachment. It may sound odd but with the whole Covid shutdown I did not have time to keep up with it, nor finish. Third, the reason for an excavator (small one mind you with a front blade in which I can rent and do the work myself) would be to work its way thru the stump minefield left behind by the skidsteer. And finally, yes there would be some leveling at a later point hence the dozer. Overall, I believe my best bet is getting a dozer in here biting the bullet on cost and just tackling all at once.

15741 - 15760 of 16350 Posts