My Tractor Forum banner
15281 - 15300 of 15782 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,056 Posts
On one of our first dates we went to an Italian restaurant where I spent about a week's worth of part time job earnings. Last evening we replicated that dinner, and it only cost about 2% of my last Social Security check!
Funny you should mention the prices. I recently found a menu on line for my favorite "fancy" restaurant in southern Maine back in the 70's. The place was called Carbur's and they had a twenty page menu full of sandwiches. I thought I was a big spender at $1.95 for sub and 50 cents for fries.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I just looked up the menu for Roy’s Place in Rockville/Gaithersburg MD. They had 200 sandwiches. One of the biggest was the Bender Schmender. It was a five level club, and if you could eat the whole thing it was free. Price, $5, circa 1971-72. They also had a giant, heavy, glass Brandy Snifter they served beer in. It was 32 ounces. If you could drink the whole thing, you got to keep the glass. I still have two of them. I was thinking of putting a Beta fish in one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Getting ready to mow. Going to lower the deck a bit. Had some good rain during the week that acclarated growth and should be getting rain tonight, tomorrow and Saturday.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
OK, I wasn’t feeling so good this morning, and my mind started to wonder. That’s dangerous. Ive always wanted to build a GT with an odd ball engine in it. A couple months ago I was at an auction where a junker 317 sold for about 200 bucks. Those Sundstrand axels are pretty tuff. Now I have the Bandit Chipper with a Wisconsin VH4d, 30 HP engine in it. I see oddball old pumps and generators with VH4D’s on them sell for scrap value. If I understand correct, all I’d have to do is get the crank to line up with the pulleys on the pump, right? Operating RPM of the VH4D is 2800. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Jack shafts and directional issues aren’t a big deal. I have a friend that runs the machine shop at a major university, he can make most any thing.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
OK, I wasn’t feeling so good this morning, and my mind started to wonder. That’s dangerous. Ive always wanted to build a GT with an odd ball engine in it. A couple months ago I was at an auction where a junker 317 sold for about 200 bucks. Those Sundstrand axels are pretty tuff. Now I have the Bandit Chipper with a Wisconsin VH4d, 30 HP engine in it. I see oddball old pumps and generators with VH4D’s on them sell for scrap value. If I understand correct, all I’d have to do is get the crank to line up with the pulleys on the pump, right? Operating RPM of the VH4D is 2800. Any thoughts?
I was seriously considering a Wisconsin engine transplant into my Gravely GMT 9000. It has a .8 liter, 26 horsepower "Continental" engine in it. Of course, the engine was actually made by renault, and they used it in some of their cars. Of course, none of those made it to the US. Parts for that motor were stupid expensive. 650 for a water pump, over 400 for a fuel pump..... the same parts for a Renault R4 (which had the EXACT same engine it it.....) 28 bucks for a water pump, under 20 for a fuel pump..... Trouble was, could only find them in Europe.... The motor was already pretty tired, (over 40 years old....) so, I figgered a replacement, that I could actually GET parts for, at MUCH cheaper pricing, would be a good plan. A bump in horsepower wouldn't hurt my feelings either. :D

But, that never happened. Sold all of my gravely stuff, and bought my x485. :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I was seriously considering a Wisconsin engine transplant into my Gravely GMT 9000. It has a .8 liter, 26 horsepower "Continental" engine in it. Of course, the engine was actually made by renault, and they used it in some of their cars. Of course, none of those made it to the US. Parts for that motor were stupid expensive. 650 for a water pump, over 400 for a fuel pump..... the same parts for a Renault R4 (which had the EXACT same engine it it.....) 28 bucks for a water pump, under 20 for a fuel pump..... Trouble was, could only find them in Europe.... The motor was already pretty tired, (over 40 years old....) so, I figgered a replacement, that I could actually GET parts for, at MUCH cheaper pricing, would be a good plan. A bump in horsepower wouldn't hurt my feelings either. :D

But, that never happened. Sold all of my gravely stuff, and bought my x485. :D
I just read about the GT’s that had the Renault engine in them. I remember the guy that put a Geo 3 cylinder in a 140 for pulling. Im hoping I can find another junker cheap. I was already planning on modifying a hood to fit around the fat engine. Then cut it in half down the middle and hinge it in the front, so both sides would swing out independen. Make a set of custom headers/straight pipes sticking up with woodpeckers on them.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I just read about the GT’s that had the Renault engine in them. I remember the guy that put a Geo 3 cylinder in a 140 for pulling. Im hoping I can find another junker cheap. I was already planning on modifying a hood to fit around the fat engine. Then cut it in half down the middle and hinge it in the front, so both sides would swing out independen. Make a set of custom headers/straight pipes sticking up with woodpeckers on them.
We want pics. :D

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
When I picked up my one log splitter it had an Opel engine and transmission attached to the hydro pump. The engine was stuck so I sold that and the trans for $100 and I only paid $90 for the splitter. :)

·
Super Moderator
37,159 Posts
Mowing the grass, PA322 was kicking the temp sensor up which isn't unusual giving how hot it is today, but cleaned the screen and pedestal and it did it again in about 15 minutes with little debris in the screen. Brought it to the garage to blow out the radiator with the air hose (although I'd done that after last mowing). Decided to check coolant level and it was well below top of the fins! Oil is clean, not getting any smoke out the muffler, must have been going out the overflow without me noticing. Got to let it sit for about an hour or so to fill it again. All three radiators from the machines are going to go to a radiator shop for some pro cleaning soon.

·
Premium Member
11,537 Posts
Today, I removed my transmission again. I removed the cover, installed drain plugs, AND a fill plug. No more removing the trans to change trans oil for me! I’ll start another thread to show how I did it.
Please do, and post a link here!!!

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Helped a neighbor move a heavy fire resistant file box out of her garage. Weighed about 250 or 300 lbs, I'm guessing. Just a short distance on concrete from the interior of the garage to her dumpster. Can't imagine how hard this would have been without a tractor and my Little Green Monster FEL.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Very cool! How much weight is the LGM able/rated to lift?

·
Premium Member
11,537 Posts
Great job, always fun to play with a loader!

But, why the dumpster? Was the cabinet broken? Those make great tool storage units.

Mike

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Great job, always fun to play with a loader!

But, why the dumpster? Was the cabinet broken? Those make great tool storage units.

Mike
I took a heavy 2 drawer filing cabinet, milled some Fir boards to fit in the bottom. Took apart several DeWalt batteries, took out the inards, and the snap clips that hold them in the tool, then screwed them to the board. Now I can set 6 drill size tools on the batteries. Keeps them standing upright so I can see what's what at a glance. Only bad part is the top of the cabinet is now overflowing with other junk. We went to all of the office supply stores, Wally World, and they all had the exact same cheap, thin tin cabinets. We had to go on line to find a heavy one. it's a shame to toss a good one. But, it seems when a good one comes up, no one needs it. I have a heavy 4 drawer sitting on my court waiting or a friend to get it. Been there for 2 months. His truck is in the shop on the family and friend terms, so it's not getting fixed fast. I'd just take it over his house for him, but, I'd have to unload all the tools off the back of my truck to get it on. I picked it up from another friends house with my trailer, but, I can't get my trailer in his drive. So, a lot of them get tossed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’ve been so busy with watching my daughter and other projects I’ve barely had time to mow the lawn. I was in a hurry last time and did the lawn in an hour which was new record.

Just about done this major project. Me and my good friend did it. He’s the roofer and I’m the laborer and go for. 24 gauge baked finish real standing seam. Next is staining the deck.

Been looking at machines too because I’m about ready for an upgrade. I needed a new truck which I got so newer JD is next on the list.

15281 - 15300 of 15782 Posts