My Tractor Forum banner
15261 - 15280 of 15746 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
On this overcast day, my wife and I celebrate 45 years of wedded adventures.

I also celebrate rolling over 800 hours on the JD x728:

This celebration was earned the hard way on a young, single mother near neighbor who let her lawn go a little too long, by an entire Spring:

Raised the deck all the way, mowed one way but most of the "grass" just laid over, so I reversed course and mowed the other way. Probably let what got cut off wilt, and as much as possible disintegrate. Then I'll go mow for her again.

Great way to commemorate 45 years.

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts

View attachment 2507593

This celebration was earned the hard way on a young, single mother near neighbor who let her lawn go a little too long, by an entire Spring:

View attachment 2507594

Raised the deck all the way, mowed one way but most of the "grass" just laid over, so I reversed course and mowed the other way. Probably let what got cut off wilt, and as much as possible disintegrate. Then I'll go mow for her again.

So which was easier on you...45 years or 800 hours on the machine? :) Congratulations on the 45 years of marriage to you and your wife!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, everything was going great, I finally got my JD316 back together and was mowing grass after a few hours hauling with the yard cart, ..when all of a sudden I lose a significant amount of power. I turn off the pto and she sounds pretty good but as soon as I turn on the pto she sounds weak. .. I pull it into the garage and I see oil around the right cylinder head and it's dripping down the tins. Attached are pictures, based on them I think I blew my right head gasket. Any insights are appreciated.

Questions, is it certainly a blown head gasket ?.. and can I replace this head gasket over two weekends without unbolting removing the engine case from the tractor ?
IMG_20210612_170627252_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

View attachment 2507593

View attachment 2507594

Congrats Jere. We celebrated 38 over memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A week or so ago I got a new set of shoes for the front of the X540. Wanted to try HDAPS on the back. The left year tire looks about new tread wise. But, the seam where the tread meets the side wall has about 10 pin hole leaks in it. I slimed it, so I have little green bubbles all the way around the side wall. I wanted to pull the fronts and clean the wheels real good. Didn't want any rim leaks. Now the leaking rear tire is going flat in about 3 hours. Short on cash since I bought the chipper, so I'm not quite ready to order the rears. I got all caught up on lawns today. Guess I'll pull the fronts tomorrow and drop them off at my buddy's shop Monday.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tubes aren't too expensive, might put one in till the money situation get's better.
I go through this at the beginning of every mowing season. Last week I was $1100 in the black for my play money, then I bought the chipper for $2000, so I had to rob Peter to pay Paul. I have one grass customer that pays me 10 mowings at a time, total $700. Today was the tenth mowing, so in a week or so I'll have their check for the next ten, and all will be good. I just keep my small compressor on the truck. I really shouldn't cry, I have a Snapper Pro 52" Walk Behind as back up. I haven't used it much since I bought the X. I'm actually putting it up for sale tonight. I mowed 5 lawns with it two weeks ago and it's faster and makes a better cut than the X. Then my daughter is just a mile or so up the road, and I can borrow the X500 I bought for her, when they moved into their first house, back in October. I've just gotten spoiled with the power stearing.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
On advice from my Grandson, I pruned the low limbs off this ornamental tree along my driveway. Hauled the trimmings away in the 15S:

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Well, everything was going great, I finally got my JD316 back together and was mowing grass after a few hours hauling with the yard cart, ..when all of a sudden I lose a significant amount of power. I turn off the pto and she sounds pretty good but as soon as I turn on the pto she sounds weak. .. I pull it into the garage and I see oil around the right cylinder head and it's dripping down the tins. Attached are pictures, based on them I think I blew my right head gasket. Any insights are appreciated.

Questions, is it certainly a blown head gasket ?.. and can I replace this head gasket over two weekends without unbolting removing the engine case from the tractor ? View attachment 2507634
From on top? That's not a good sign.... Does pressurized oil pass thru the headgasket? Or is it pumped up the pushrods? But, that's not an overhead valve engine, is it???

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
I'm overdue for some of that trimming here, Jere.

Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
From on top? That's not a good sign.... Does pressurized oil pass thru the headgasket? Or is it pumped up the pushrods? But, that's not an overhead valve engine, is it???
You are correct, it is an Onan P218 , not an overhead valve engine. It's an opposed twin, horizontal shaft. I guess I'm going to have to take off the tins and really get a close look. I may have more than one problem here.

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts

·
Parts collector
4,277 Posts
Happy Anniversary Jere.
Man I'll never catch you since I just started over again 3 years ago.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
Well after putting it off for almost a year I started cleaning and organizing the new shed. Since it was finished I had only roughly stuffed items in there. Put in a good 12 hrs today and probably the same tomorrow. Big task today was to get the floor clean, it still had all the concrete dust from cutting the expansion joints.

It did give me an opportunity to get most of the collection out for some sun! Of course in the process I found lots of new little projects!

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Well after putting it off for almost a year I started cleaning and organizing the new shed. Since it was finished I had only roughly stuffed items in there. Put in a good 12 hrs today and probably the same tomorrow. Big task today was to get the floor clean, it still had all the concrete dust from cutting the expansion joints.
It did give me an opportunity to get most of the collection out for some sun! Of course in the process I found lots of new little projects!

Nice nice nice ! Are you going to add any floor coating to floor?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
So which was easier on you...45 years or 800 hours on the machine? :) Congratulations on the 45 years of marriage to you and your wife!
Thanks for the notes of congratulations for a happy 45 years. As it turns out, I started dating my eventual wife in the last semester of high school where we will celebrate our 50th reunion in a couple weeks. On one of our first dates we went to an Italian restaurant where I spent about a week's worth of part time job earnings. Last evening we replicated that dinner, and it only cost about 2% of my last Social Security check! Times have changed, but we are very much the same:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
View attachment 2507663
View attachment 2507664

Congratulations!
That Pioneer sign sure would look good over the bench with my Pioneer 700 D, 107 CC chainsaw.

15261 - 15280 of 15746 Posts