My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

15201 - 15220 of 15282 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
My guess would be that the setting of the dual brakes may have been off. Did you set each side up to spec individually with the parking brake set (both brakes on)?
I didn't follow a spec. I just set them (via the back brake shaft bolts ) to work on a light depression of the pedals. Should I try setting those rod nuts to be longer ?

·
Super Moderator
36,502 Posts
Here is the spec on those, to get this right it sometimes takes adjusting the star brake adjuster in the drum through the small window.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
i did some straight limbs close to 6" yesterday and it made the finest chips I have ever seen. The knives and adjustment must be perfect.
Hmm, not sure about your standard for chip quality. It looked like there were a lot of stringers and it also looked like you had some feed issues, especially with the big limb. I am not a fanatic about sharpening blades and the anvil. But, it looks like it to me that your blades are dull, your anvil is probably rounded over, and the gap is too wide. You might also have an issue with the feed roller edges. But, as long as you are happy with the results that is all that matters.

My chipper has an adjustable feed rate and an auto feed (that stops feeding when the engine RPM drops and then starts again when the engine recovers. I have it set to a fast rate, since I mostly do small stuff.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hmm, not sure about your standard for chip quality. It looked like there were a lot of stringers and it also looked like you had some feed issues, especially with the big limb. I am not a fanatic about sharpening blades and the anvil. But, it looks like it to me that your blades are dull, your anvil is probably rounded over, and the gap is too wide. You might also have an issue with the feed roller edges. But, as long as you are happy with the results that is all that matters.

My chipper has an adjustable feed rate and an auto feed (that stops feeding when the engine RPM drops and then starts again when the engine recovers. I have it set to a fast rate, since I mostly do small stuff.
The chips I ran through my hands were from the little skinny stuff. The bigger wood ground up real fine, but that pile was on the other side of the yard. The machine has auto feed, it doesn't seem to be working, but, I only have about 12 minutes on it. I'd like to get it tuned up. The plug wires are the original's, have over spray on them from when it was painted, and the cap looks almost as old. I put that one crooked limb in comparing it to the Vermeer 6" I've used. They would not have folded the 90* limbs on the sides. I think when I get it tuned up and have it running better, it will do much better. Yep, I'm happy.

I need to get a manual, I've never used one of these, so I'm guessing as I go.

·
Registered
972 Posts
New Volt meter installed. Old Chicom Sunpro crapped out in only a couple months.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is the spec on those, to get this right it sometimes takes adjusting the star brake adjuster in the drum through the small window.

View attachment 2507029
I'm trying to understand how that park knob actually works, what does it do?.. as a look at my brake system I can't see how it connects to the park knob. Moreover, I notice that my hydrostatic drive control (right dash) is locked in neutral. Is there a diagram of this system?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
need to get a manual, I've never used one of these, so I'm guessing as I go
Enter this in your search engine
bandit 65 wood chipper manual

That should get you a link to the PDF of the operator and parts manual. Not sure about the service manual. Vermeer provides all manuals (paper copy) to new owners of used machines. I don't know if Bandit does this or not.

It sounded like the engine was slowing down significantly when you were feeding the big limb. That was a particularly twisted one and would be a challenge for any 9" or smaller chipper.

Chippers are pretty simple and the disc models (like yours and mine) are fairly safe (from a death perspective, as opposed to the chuck 'n duck drum style chippers) but they can still inflict serious bodily harm if you are not paying close enough attention. When I first got mine, I ran it at the slowest feed speed to give myself more room for errors. After I replaced the hydraulic pump with a smaller/slower one, I have it at close to max speed. It will really whip the small branches in, which can lead to a nasty slap or worse, if I get in the way.

The autofeed works well, until the belt stretches too much. When that happens, the engine speed doesn't slow down fast enough because the belt slips, which causes it to heat up, smoke, and slip more. Not a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
36,502 Posts
I'm trying to understand how that park knob actually works, what does it do?.. as a look at my brake system I can't see how it connects to the park knob. Moreover, I notice that my hydrostatic drive control (right dash) is locked in neutral. Is there a diagram of this system?
Parking Brake:

Link for the hydrostatic control, it is locked because brakes are locked down, you have to release the brakes to let the hydro control work:

John Deere Parts Catalog

Use the arrows to move between diagrams for the 316:

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Today I scored a nice set of used rear wheels onto which I will mount a set of Marastar Turf Traction tires. These will get liquid filled for winter use with the snowblower. I’m trying to avoid chains, although I’ll install some on these if I need to. I will keep the other Turf Saver wheels and tires for mowing duty. This way, even if I do end up needing chains, it is just a straight wheel and tire assembly swap. I won’t need to actually remove the chains ever.

Here are the wheels I scored

The shop only wanted $20 for the pair. Since I miscommunicated when I was coming for them and the guy went out and removed them from the tractor while I waited, I gave him $40. Still a pretty good price in my book!

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Very nice! I'd love to find a second set of wheels for my GT, so I could have both my ATV tires, as well as the turf tires, available easily and quickly.

Nice find!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Parking Brake:

View attachment 2507059

Link for the hydrostatic control, it is locked because brakes are locked down, you have to release the brakes to let the hydro control work:

John Deere Parts Catalog

Use the arrows to move between diagrams for the 316:
many thanks for the schematic.. Well, I had to remove the fender and the battery tray and put a bright lights onto the parking knob linkages to see what is actually going on. It turns out that the 318 dual brakes are different from the 316 single brake in that there is a slight difference in the angle of the metal bar stops that limit the range of motion. I put the grinding wheel to it and all works now.

Lesson learned: never do anything to your tractor unless you know how the system works.

·
Jerk of all trades
363 Posts
I put my 240 to work ...

The weeping cherry didn't make it thru the winter.. we also lost a Harry Lotter ..
Oh well ..

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Seat time with a new toy? Looks like a win?

Mike

Reactions: smcgill

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Enter this in your search engine
bandit 65 wood chipper manual

That should get you a link to the PDF of the operator and parts manual. Not sure about the service manual. Vermeer provides all manuals (paper copy) to new owners of used machines. I don't know if Bandit does this or not.

It sounded like the engine was slowing down significantly when you were feeding the big limb. That was a particularly twisted one and would be a challenge for any 9" or smaller chipper.

Chippers are pretty simple and the disc models (like yours and mine) are fairly safe (from a death perspective, as opposed to the chuck 'n duck drum style chippers) but they can still inflict serious bodily harm if you are not paying close enough attention. When I first got mine, I ran it at the slowest feed speed to give myself more room for errors. After I replaced the hydraulic pump with a smaller/slower one, I have it at close to max speed. It will really whip the small branches in, which can lead to a nasty slap or worse, if I get in the way.

The autofeed works well, until the belt stretches too much. When that happens, the engine speed doesn't slow down fast enough because the belt slips, which causes it to heat up, smoke, and slip more. Not a good thing.
Thanks for the info. I think once I get it tuned up it will run, function better. I brought home two trailer loads of Bradford Pear. Nice long straight brush. Got a whole pile of 6’ poles just about 6”. I’ll be heading out shortly. I didn’t want to crank it up at 4:30 when I got up.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Looks like Frog is right. The first pile of brush I ground up was a pile of White Pine with no needles on it. it ground up fine and consistent. I thought the pile I posted had the stringy stuff in it from a bunch of honey suckle. I ground up the trailer load of Bradford Pear this morning. The long skinny tips of the limbs tended to wind around the feed wheel, then grind with the next woody piece. On a good note, the Bradford limbs tend to grow like a fan. I put some in that were 5-6 feet wide. Wider than the fold down part of the shoot, and it just folded them up, no problem. The little pile took 18 minutes to grind. Still pretty happy with it. I think as I start fixing things up, as I have that piece off, the JD Green and Yellow is coming out.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Today, the Marastar Turf Traction tires showed up via UPS. They are 20x8.00-8. So, I installed them on the used wheels I acquired the other day, then I MacGyver'd some tools together to fill them with washer solvent. These will mainly be used in the winter with the snowblower, and occasionally in the early spring when the swale in the very back of my property is not dry yet, but the grass needs to get cut.

I started with a hobby store reaming tool, usually used to ream holes in Lexan RC Car bodies.

I reamed a very tiny hole into the clear vinyl tubing I used to fill the tire, at an angle toward the opening of the hose. Then, I inserted a brake cleaner straw. I made it a tight fit.

I drilled a properly sized hole in the 5-gallon bucket that stays on the back of my tractor, and screwed in a male air line fitting. I attached the other end of the hose to the fitting.

I removed the tire valve stem cores, inserted the straw into the valve stem opening, and pushed the hose over the valve stem. I made sure the straw was sticking up into the wheel cavity plenty. This allowed air to escape while I was filling the tire without having to disconnect the hose.

Filled up the bucket with 5 gallons of washer solvent, and let it do its thing.

While I was waiting, my brain kept going, so I decided to try to speed things up by placing the vacuum pump over the brake cleaner straw.

It did work really well... for about ten seconds, at which point it sucked the tire off the inner bead. It wasn't full enough yet to lose any solvent, so I reseated the bead, and put the hose back on. It ended up taking about 25 minutes per tire to fill. That's not too bad.

Wheel and tire pre-fill weight was 22 lbs, post-fill was just shy of 60 lbs. I'm hoping this will do the trick and I won't need chains. I have two suitcase weights for the back also.

After that, I removed the deck chute, the high-lift blades, and the anti-blowout baffle, and installed the freshly sharpened mulching blades and the mulching baffle.

Oh, and I put the regular Turf Savers back on.

·
Parts collector
4,211 Posts
Nice setup.
My son did mine for me but I would have just broke the bead on the outside and filled it up then set the bead again. But I have tire machines so............

15201 - 15220 of 15282 Posts