My Tractor Forum banner
15161 - 15180 of 15749 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hearing about Forest mulching, I wonder if that would work on the horrible silver maple seeds. That tree sheds more seeds than all the other maples on my property. The lawn under it is such a mess right now. I tried the pflow and it doesn’t suck enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've used the Vermeer, and we had a lot of big Vermeer stuff when Dad was still in business. The only draw back to your machine is the 6X6 feed opening. It chips well, just doesn't fold any side limbs in. I grew up on a 16" Asplundh with a 300 CI Ford inline 6. This Bandit does have the wider feed, so hopefully it will fold in small side branches. It has the overhead valve V4. I have found specs for 2 of the OHV engines. The one that was on our Vermeer Model 10 stump grinder was 60HP. I think this is the smaller one at 35 HP. This one does have the optional auto feed, I hope it works. If the engine slows down to a certain RPM, the feed roller stops feeding, till the RPM's come back up, then starts grinding again. If it doesn't work, I'll have to stand by the safety bar and stop the feed roller manually. It's nice to be able to walk away and just let it do it's thing.

I stopped buy the auction a few hours ago and snapped a few pics, pulled the key out, and put the new muffler in my truck. And, since I was asked, here's a few pics. I'm already thinking how it would look JD Green and Yellow.

I am SO jealous!! I want a chipper in the worst way... I’ve got so much downed and small trees I want gone.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What deck is on the X595? I am mulching with a 48" Edge deck on my X748. No real windrows, but I do get some clumping on tight turns in what passes for thick grass in my lawn. Your property is gorgeous as usual.
EDIT: I was cutting at 4".
Thanks!
I’m using the Edge 54” that came with my X7.. I’m actually pretty impressed with it so far..I’ve yet to see anything resembling clumps, and I only see clippings that are blown into the driveway. . I was always a mulch doubter.. always a bagger man.. I’ll admit I’ve changing my mind, but the true test is when it really gets thick.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Thanks!
I’m using the Edge 54” that came with my X7.. I’m actually pretty impressed with it so far..I’ve yet to see anything resembling clumps, and I only see clippings that are blown into the driveway. . I was always a mulch doubter.. always a bagger man.. I’ll admit I’ve changing my mind, but the true test is when it really gets thick.
You know, it's not even clumping. The blades just don't seem to cut the long grass on the corners as well as the rest of the yard. I am pleased with the "efficiency" of the cut, I just started sharpening my own blades this year and the Deere deck and my Honda push mower are still giving nice clean cuts.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,405 Posts
I've used the Vermeer, and we had a lot of big Vermeer stuff when Dad was still in business. The only draw back to your machine is the 6X6 feed opening. It chips well, just doesn't fold any side limbs in. I grew up on a 16" Asplundh with a 300 CI Ford inline 6. This Bandit does have the wider feed, so hopefully it will fold in small side branches. It has the overhead valve V4. I have found specs for 2 of the OHV engines. The one that was on our Vermeer Model 10 stump grinder was 60HP. I think this is the smaller one at 35 HP. This one does have the optional auto feed, I hope it works. If the engine slows down to a certain RPM, the feed roller stops feeding, till the RPM's come back up, then starts grinding again. If it doesn't work, I'll have to stand by the safety bar and stop the feed roller manually. It's nice to be able to walk away and just let it do it's thing.

I stopped buy the auction a few hours ago and snapped a few pics, pulled the key out, and put the new muffler in my truck. And, since I was asked, here's a few pics. I'm already thinking how it would look JD Green and Yellow.

Good luck with the chipper. Looks like it is halfway to JD green already. I pulled this Bandit 65 rental unit all around the woods at my own property and my daughter's property for a body blasting weekend a couple years ago with my x728. It definitely was an overload for the brakes, but not an issue for the engine. So the pull, even up hill was no problem. The steer and runway on the way down definitely required some planning.

The unit I rented might have been a Bandit 65 xlt or something. Not sure if it is the same.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks!
@FTWingRiders - I see the plastic mulching plug on your deck. Do you run that year round including in the heavy spring grass? What blades are you using with it?

@ggsteve - Do you have the mulching kit as well? If so what blades are you using with yours?

I have the predator gator like blades and am trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to purchase a mulch kit for my Edge 54 deck. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
A Deere hasn’t moved on our place in five days - which I think is a new record for mowing season. It’s been dry and hot (98-100 on Saturday) enough that 75% of the yard has stopped growing. Almost all of SD is in a drought and no real rain in the forecast. Hopefully the rain from about 8 days ago keeps the corn and soybeans trucking for another 7-10 days. The western US needs rain!

I might touch up the weeds tonight and call any further yard projects off until we get rain. It takes us an hour each night to keep the new trees and grass watered each evening.

Okay. Then it is a 1967. Can't see bolts in the photos. Thank you for that bit of information.

View attachment 2506679

View attachment 2506680

Turns out my sister could not pick it up today because of the rain. The wait is killing me... Either way, heading Friday to my sister's house.
Congrats on the (hopefully) new to you 112. The gap in the foot rest is a good way to tell if they are welded. Stock units prior to 1967 would have needed bolt on foot rest in case the loader needed to be attached. The loader bars from the Johnson loader attached to the frame and the foot rest have to have that gap. One of the biggest pain of installing a loader on a RF pre 1967 is widening the foot rests.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
We setup temporary 4x4 posts to hold some sails for shade in the lanai. Well, one of the 4x4 was bending/warping. I did not inspect it well when I bought it and missed the knot it had... so I used a steel angular bar, for now, to hold it a bit longer until I can take the time to replace it. Sucker is buried 2 feet down with a rebar across it and 18"x18" concrete slab... so replacing it will take some effort...

Used the JD S240 to straighten the 4x4 while I installed the steel angle bar...

Also took the time to clear an area for building a shed to store the two tractors, all the gardening tools, and some countertop space for planting...

Because lumber is so ridiculous expensive now... decided to take down the club/tree house I built my kids back in 2008. They are no longer using it and it is time to remove it. I built it with my son... it was done using galvanized nuts and bolts, so I should be able to take it apart and move it with minimal destruction of panels.

What it looks like today...

And the work in progress to take it down... I will have to build an extension to make it large enough for everything that will go in there... but it will be great having something from my kid's youth, in the backyard of the new house.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
That playhouse was cool! Did you design that?

Mike

Reactions: wachuko

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
@ggsteve - Do you have the mulching kit as well? If so what blades are you using with yours?

I have the predator gator like blades and am trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to purchase a mulch kit for my Edge 54 deck. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Yes I bought the mulch kit from Deere, it came with the plastic baffle (more than a plug) and the mulching blades. I want to say it cost about $150 at the spring 10% off sale a few years ago. It works way better than my powerflo. I do get some blowout when mulching leaves in the fall.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
That playhouse was cool! Did you design that?

Mike
Yeah... on a napkin...

Looking back at the sketch, we never did install that chimney or pulley for the bucket... oh well...

What they looked like back then... now she is 23 and finishing her masters... and he is 19 and starting college...

They even made their own pledge for the house...

I tried to make it as fun as possible... so it had a trap door to get in, slide, telescope, a periscope, windows were crooked...

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
Wow, that's incredibly cool. They'll definitely never forget that!!!

Mike

Reactions: wachuko

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
I'm definitely no carpenter, but my FIL was. I acquired (aka for free) a commercial playhouse / swingset combo from a former boss (after his kids outgrew it), my FIL helped me replace / upsize some broken components.

My kids were too small to help or remember that. Plus, I brought it home in two big pieces, so there wasn't much assembly required once I got it home. I think my oldest son helped me build the poles holding up the tent, I'll ask if he remembers.

We took it down a year or two ago, it wasn't being used, and was starting to be unsafe (my oldest son got big enough that he broke a monkey bar, and when he used the swing, the whole thing looked like it wanted to explode)...

Mike

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
I'm definitely no carpenter, but my FIL was. I acquired (aka for free) a commercial playhouse / swingset combo from a former boss (after his kids outgrew it), my FIL helped me replace / upsize some broken components.

My kids were too small to help or remember that. Plus, I brought it home in two big pieces, so there wasn't much assembly required once I got it home. I think my oldest son helped me build the poles holding up the tent, I'll ask if he remembers.

We took it down a year or two ago, it wasn't being used, and was starting to be unsafe (my oldest son got big enough that he broke a monkey bar, and when he used the swing, the whole thing looked like it wanted to explode)...

Mike
Mike,

Not a carpenter here either and I too had help from my father-in-law. My in-laws have been with us for the past 18 years. So we overbuild the heck out of this playhouse... two hurricanes and nothing flew off... It was just not being used... the slide got pretty dirty... there was a bench that we made under it and later the FIL decided to close the bottom part and make it into a shed for garden tools...

My FIL saves/stores everything... so outside of some tools and the pressure washer, most of the stuff in that shed is junk :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . I have been preparing him for the fact that I will be getting rid of most of what is in there. But there is an old pressure washer with the pump that went bad (and the cost of the pump was more than getting a new pressure washer)... so I will keep that engine to see if I can make something fun with it... Oh crap, I have turned into my FIL!!! o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyway.... sorry for the derail... back to normal programming... John Deere stuff!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You know, it's not even clumping. The blades just don't seem to cut the long grass on the corners as well as the rest of the yard. I am pleased with the "efficiency" of the cut, I just started sharpening my own blades this year and the Deere deck and my Honda push mower are still giving nice clean cuts.
I think you’re right… I noticed, while mowing, on tight turns and corners the tires seemed to mash down the grass and it didn’t get cut so I went and ran in the opposite direction is some areas to make sure I got it all. Not sure if leaving it long creates that issue, where if it was cut shorter, the grass would spring up in time to get cut.. if that makes sense. Lol
I just went out and took another look, and there are some spots that I missed.. hmm. Might need to adjust my methods a bit to make sure it’s all cut..
I always ran gator blades, even when bagging, so possibly a combo of the lifting blades and P/F helped create enough lift so I didn’t have that problem before, as I’ve always kept it at 4-5.5” during the summer.
I need to change the hoses on my MCS to make it Work on the X, and not sure when I’ll have time to tackle that, so I’m really hoping to make it thru the season with the mulching deck.. it’s definitely a learning curve… I’m at WOT, but possibly need to slow down a bit more.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@FTWingRiders - I see the plastic mulching plug on your deck. Do you run that year round including in the heavy spring grass? What blades are you using with it?

It actually the first season I’ve used a mulching deck.. I was always a bagger guy. This deck came with my X7, and I mowed with my old 455 with a MCS on it.

58EA7F78-D306-4377-8B86-2ADDF7556022.jpeg

I sold it, (but kept the MCS), last year to buy a X595 … and to make the MCS work with the X I need to rework the hoses, so I figured I’d give mulching a try. I sharpened the gator(?) blades this spring, and am in the learning curve. My grass always start slow and get fuller during the summer, so the true test is ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Good luck with it! I'm a big fan of mulching. Especially once it meant I no longer even had to bag our leaves.

I typically mow at a "normal" speed. I'll sometimes slow down a bit in obviously-thick areas. But for me, I've gotten better mulching results with 2 higher-speed passes, vs 1 really-slow pass.

Just as one example, if you offset the passes by around half the deck width, then you also help re-distribute any possible trails or windrows of clippings. If normally you leave a line at the left-edge of the deck, but that's at the middle on pass #2, then the clippings get a second round of chopping, and you also help spread that line around.

Plus, since I only make those 2nd passes where it's needed, then most of the time it's just 1 higher-speed pass, which saves time vs going slowly in those areas for no real reason.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
This just arrived...

So the story is that as soon as I joined this forum... I wanted a 65-67 JD 110 or 112.... all your fault...

So I started looking for one and quickly realized that they were difficult to find or, the ones found, were very expensive... I had just gotten a new S240... so trying to justify the expense of an old 110/112 to the wife was just not going to fly.

I love the looks... and decided that if I could not find one within my budget, that I would at least get a seat setup to use on the bench in the garage as my seat... I will not lie, the thought of trying to install this seat on my new S240 did cross my mind :ROFLMAO: .

Well... went crazy and got the mount and the seat pan from eBay and it all arrived today. In the process I also found a 67 112... so now I have a spare seat mount and seat pan...

Did a quick paint job on the mount... I should really strip it down to bare metal and do it again... I will... I just wanted to see it looking better...

EDIT: Forgot the photos of the seat pan... I sanded the rusted areas... used some POR15 rust cleaner (expensive muriatic acid)... and gave it a coat of JD yellow...

·
Super Moderator
37,098 Posts
This just arrived...

So the story is that as soon as I joined this forum... I wanted a 65-67 JD 110 or 112.... all your fault...

Well... went crazy and got the mount and the seat pan from eBay and it all arrived today. In the process I also found a 67 112... so now I have a spare seat mount and seat pan...

Did a quick paint job on the mount... I should really strip it down to bare metal and do it again... I will... I just wanted to see it looking better...
Yes our fault and we pride ourselves on helping satisfy the "Deere" fever!!

Looks pretty good to me for a shop seat!

15161 - 15180 of 15749 Posts