My Tractor Forum banner
15141 - 15160 of 15736 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
Cut grass w/X720 today, just hate it when I end up with one little strip.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
What did I do to my JD today? Well... if all goes well... I think I bought another one...

I hope I don't jinx it... and I do not have much information... only two photos, but found a 1966-67 112 Manual Lift (will not know the exact year until I can see the serial number). From the description, it is not running. So who knows what could be wrong with it. At a minimum, from the photos, it will need a new hood (doubt I will be able to properly repair the one it has), new steering wheel, new tires, new rubber grips on the levers... and lots of paint/powder coating... And whatever is required to get it running again, which I will not know until I have it here...

My sister and her husband will pick it up Sunday (out of state) and I will drive over next weekend to bring it home. It will cost me more to drive over to pick it up than what I will pay for it :ROFLMAO:

From the photos, looks to be complete. It has the 46" mid-mount mower deck (I can see two belts from the pulley). Being a 112 it has the Tecumseh HH100 engine. All covers (PTO, engine) are in place. Fenders are metal (not sure if those were supposed to be metal or fiberglass as well), wheels/rims seem to be the GT3s (based on the wide high flotation tires it has).

Downloaded the pdf for the service manual to start getting familiar with it... and watched so many YouTube videos that it is not even funny...

But very excited to have found one at a decent price. More details once I have actually purchased it (again, hoping that happens this Sunday)
Quickest way to date a round fender 112 is to look at the running boards. 66 is bolted on, 67 is welded on. Either way, can’t wait to see pictures!

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ha Ha, I have that old girl now and she has gotten a workout in the last couple months. :) we took down 2 50ft trees and limbed one. 20 loads of limbs and 4 loads of LOGS. Then we moved a trailer full of clay/dirt and she was WAY over loaded to the point the tires were rubbing on the fenders. :eek:

She got some paint, rewiring, and a trickle charger also since I bought it from you.;)
The last time I put new tires on it, I went to the next size bigger. Turned out they were a little wider too, so when it squats, they get closer to the fender. I thought about flipping the axle over and making the deck a few inches higher. That would make it so more of the load would come out before you have to pull up. That only matters with dirt, gravel, firewood. Brush will slide out in a big square pile.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Quickest way to date a round fender 112 is to look at the running boards. 66 is bolted on, 67 is welded on. Either way, can’t wait to see pictures!
Okay. Then it is a 1967. Can't see bolts in the photos. Thank you for that bit of information.

Turns out my sister could not pick it up today because of the rain. The wait is killing me... Either way, heading Friday to my sister's house.

On other news, installed LEDs headlight bulbs on my S240... Wife was asking me why the **** do I want LEDs in the mower if I even do not take it out at night.... :ROFLMAO: :D

1C2647FA-B40C-4F6F-8F27-D701E83A5279.jpeg

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, I’m predicting what I will be doing tomorrow? The question is, will my X540 pull my new/old brush chipper. I left a bid on it at the auction yesterday. I was out of town for a funeral service. The clerk sent me a text that I won the bid. It’s a Bandit Model 65 with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder. Hope to have video of the X in action soon.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Wife was asking me why the **** do I want LEDs in the mower if I even do not take it out at night....

Ask her why she wants to buy pans. She can't cook. THEN DUCK !

·
Premium Member
11,500 Posts
The last time I put new tires on it, I went to the next size bigger. Turned out they were a little wider too, so when it squats, they get closer to the fender.
I made that mistake with my utility trailer. Had the local garage do the job, he insisted that he couldn't get the original size (quickly or for less money than the larger ones). Last year, I was hauling a large load of freshly cut (heavy) pine logs and saw the slices in the tires. Won't be doing that again...

On other news, installed LEDs headlight bulbs on my S240... Wife was asking me why the **** do I want LEDs in the mower if I even do not take it out at night.... :ROFLMAO: :D

View attachment 2506645
They just don't understand...

Well, I’m predicting what I will be doing tomorrow? The question is, will my X540 pull my new/old brush chipper. I left a bid on it at the auction yesterday. I was out of town for a funeral service. The clerk sent me a text that I won the bid. It’s a Bandit Model 65 with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder. Hope to have video of the X in action soon.
4-cylinder chipper??? This I have to see!

Wife was asking me why the **** do I want LEDs in the mower if I even do not take it out at night....

Ask her why she wants to buy pans. She can't cook. THEN DUCK !
Wow, and I thought I liked to live dangerously with comments like that. But, I'm smart enough to know not to upset the person in the house who does the most cooking!!!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
37,069 Posts
Wow, that'll eat some trees and limbs, 6" capacity won't take you long to have every tree in the neighborhood ground up! :)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The question is, will my X540 pull my new/old brush chipper. I left a bid on it at the auction yesterday. I was out of town for a funeral service. The clerk sent me a text that I won the bid. It’s a Bandit Model 65 with a Wisconsin 4 cylinder.
That is about the same size as my Vermeer BC625. The pro tree people love to hate on (sneer at) the Vermeer. They do like the Bandit better. I think the Bandit is nicer, since it has a wider input window to the disk, so it can handle crotches better. The 4 cylinder engine is probably a lot more capable than the Kohler 25HP twin on mine.

I would expect a good condition one to be in the $7-8K region. I am guessing you got a better deal than that.

My BC625 weighs 2200 lbs, with a spec'ed 200lbs of tongue weight. I tow it with my B2620 (small CUT, not SCUT). If you don't have hills, the X540 can probably handle it. I have to use medium or low range and 4WD on some parts of my property. I might try pulling it with my X749, but I don't think I would try it with my X534.

I love my BC625 and if it ever becomes unrepairable, I will replace it (possibly with a Bandit).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yesterday, I learned that just because it says it in the TSM doesn't mean it is true/so.

I was putting the front axle hubs back on. The TSM clearly states to torque the bolts to 50 lb-ft. This seemed high to me, but I didn't think too much about it. It didn't feel right, so I looked again. I was reading in the right place, but what I didn't do then was check other locations. The bolts are M8. 50 lb-ft is WAY too much torque. I thought this, but it was clear as day in the manual. I thought maybe my new 3/8" torque wrench was out of calibration, so I checked it on the rear wheels and it appeared to be okay. Once again, I did not spend enough time thinking this through. The wheel bolts are much larger and require 65 lb-ft.

So, I ended up snapping one of the bolts. This is not surprising, since the torque should have been under 20 lb-ft or so. Later, I looked in the MFWD section of the manual and there is says 144 to almost 200 lb-in, which is 12-16 lb-ft.

So, now I get to figure out how to extract a broken bolt.

I then decided to try changing the middle steering link. The TSM is also wrong about the procedure to remove that. There is no way to get a wrench or socket on it while it is installed on the machine. It also says it requires 200 lb-ft of torque. It is a large bolt, so it might actually be able to take that much, but there is no way to apply that much with it installed. There are 4 big bolts holding the pivot point on the frame. It looks like these are 18mm. I don't have an 18mm socket, let alone one that is impact rated. So, this will have to wait. A nice set is on its way to me and should be here today.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That is about the same size as my Vermeer BC625. The pro tree people love to hate on (sneer at) the Vermeer. They do like the Bandit better. I think the Bandit is nicer, since it has a wider input window to the disk, so it can handle crotches better. The 4 cylinder engine is probably a lot more capable than the Kohler 25HP twin on mine.

I would expect a good condition one to be in the $7-8K region. I am guessing you got a better deal than that.

My BC625 weighs 2200 lbs, with a spec'ed 200lbs of tongue weight. I tow it with my B2620 (small CUT, not SCUT). If you don't have hills, the X540 can probably handle it. I have to use medium or low range and 4WD on some parts of my property. I might try pulling it with my X749, but I don't think I would try it with my X534.

I love my BC625 and if it ever becomes unrepairable, I will replace it (possibly with a Bandit).
I've used the Vermeer, and we had a lot of big Vermeer stuff when Dad was still in business. The only draw back to your machine is the 6X6 feed opening. It chips well, just doesn't fold any side limbs in. I grew up on a 16" Asplundh with a 300 CI Ford inline 6. This Bandit does have the wider feed, so hopefully it will fold in small side branches. It has the overhead valve V4. I have found specs for 2 of the OHV engines. The one that was on our Vermeer Model 10 stump grinder was 60HP. I think this is the smaller one at 35 HP. This one does have the optional auto feed, I hope it works. If the engine slows down to a certain RPM, the feed roller stops feeding, till the RPM's come back up, then starts grinding again. If it doesn't work, I'll have to stand by the safety bar and stop the feed roller manually. It's nice to be able to walk away and just let it do it's thing.

I stopped buy the auction a few hours ago and snapped a few pics, pulled the key out, and put the new muffler in my truck. And, since I was asked, here's a few pics. I'm already thinking how it would look JD Green and Yellow.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Oh, when I went by this morning I was getting a bit of buyers remorse, I paid $2000, with tax and buyers premium, it came to $2320. This is a 90's model, they still make the model 65, it's now an XP 65. The new ones do come with a Briggs twin or the Kohler twin, and I think they run about $25,000. I'll know in a few days.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Well, it's already kinda/sorta green. :) Painting it to match the tractor sounds like a good plan to me.

For the money, I think ya got a good deal. I know my wife would have happily paid that for it. :) We haven't been getting chips from the tree companies of late, (they aren't working in the area) but, we do have some dead ones we need to knock down, and I saw her rubbing her hands together, and muttering "Chips...... Chips...... Chips....." with this evil look in her eye. :D

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
Yesterday, I learned that just because it says it in the TSM doesn't mean it is true/so.

I was putting the front axle hubs back on. The TSM clearly states to torque the bolts to 50 lb-ft. This seemed high to me, but I didn't think too much about it. It didn't feel right, so I looked again. I was reading in the right place, but what I didn't do then was check other locations. The bolts are M8. 50 lb-ft is WAY too much torque. I thought this, but it was clear as day in the manual. I thought maybe my new 3/8" torque wrench was out of calibration, so I checked it on the rear wheels and it appeared to be okay. Once again, I did not spend enough time thinking this through. The wheel bolts are much larger and require 65 lb-ft.

So, I ended up snapping one of the bolts. This is not surprising, since the torque should have been under 20 lb-ft or so. Later, I looked in the MFWD section of the manual and there is says 144 to almost 200 lb-in, which is 12-16 lb-ft.

So, now I get to figure out how to extract a broken bolt.

I then decided to try changing the middle steering link. The TSM is also wrong about the procedure to remove that. There is no way to get a wrench or socket on it while it is installed on the machine. It also says it requires 200 lb-ft of torque. It is a large bolt, so it might actually be able to take that much, but there is no way to apply that much with it installed. There are 4 big bolts holding the pivot point on the frame. It looks like these are 18mm. I don't have an 18mm socket, let alone one that is impact rated. So, this will have to wait. A nice set is on its way to me and should be here today.
Don't forget to write on the service manual, or edit the pdf, so you don't overtorque it in the future...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
so you don't overtorque it in the future...
Good advice.

I am not in the habit of using a torque wrench, despite having had one for many decades. I know I should have known better, and I did question it, and thought it didn't feel right. I even gave some advice the other day that said most fasteners need much less torque than seems right. Now that I have multiple sizes of wrenches, I will start using them and triple confirm that the value I have makes sense for size/grade fasteners I am torquing.

I also stand by my earlier advice, most fasteners need much less torque than what most consider "good 'n tight". But, and this is a big one, some require way more than most people think (like the bolts that hold my chipper blades, well above 200 lb-feet).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Grass cut, weeds wacked. Temp next to the bird house says 130°. May not be true but my red shoulders may say different.

Neighbors bought a new trampoline last weekend. Been 80° plus since Friday, haven't stepped outside. It will quickly become a lawn ornament, which is fine by me. As ugly as it may be, I will be able to enjoy my beer in peace most days.

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Used the X595 to mow today, I’m at 4.25”s and the mulching seems to be working nicely, not one hint of clumps anywhere.
View attachment 2506612

Back home in the shed after getting cleaned up with the leaf blower..
View attachment 2506615

Then used the X748 to load the left over mulch into the dump trailer to get it off the driveway..

View attachment 2506619

then made the switch to forks to put the 5th wheel hitch back into the F250 so I can drag the camper out tomorrow..

View attachment 2506621

and it was at this point I realized I had a flat tire..😕.. put enough air into it to finish the job, but there seems to be a cut in the side wall from somewhere. .. luckily I have a set of new front HDAP tires I got in a pkg deal a few years ago.
What deck is on the X595? I am mulching with a 48" Edge deck on my X748. No real windrows, but I do get some clumping on tight turns in what passes for thick grass in my lawn. Your property is gorgeous as usual.
EDIT: I was cutting at 4".

Reactions: Rarefish383
15141 - 15160 of 15736 Posts