My Tractor Forum banner

12741 - 12760 of 12821 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
This summer I purchased a x585 with 1500 hours on it that replaced my x720 with unknown hours - i suspected that it had 800 - 1000 hours but i never really knew. The previous owner's father of the x720 put a new dash in but never kept track of the hours when that happened, i know i purchased it with less than 50 hours and sold it with about 150. So i put 50 hours a year on it while i had it. What i'll tell you is that even though i thought that the x720 had fewer hours on it than the x585 the x585 drives smoother and runs better than the x720 did. What i'm getting at is that I personally wouldn't worry as much hours as much as overall condition of the machine.

I'm not trying to convince you to purchase this machine but it definitely has some pros including new tires, the bucket on the loader looks very straight, comes with a deck and blade. I'm betting that deck looks worse than it is; i bet that's peeling paint and surface rust and no huge pits or anything like that. The cluster might be an easy fix - It's not clear if the whole cluster is having issues or just the clock but there are some others on here that have fixed the clusters.

Prices around me:
Loader: $2500
Blade: $1000
Deck: $800
This puts the x585 at: $2700

I disagree that it's been kept inside, the top of the hood and the 4wd lever are too faded to have been stored inside always. I'd do an inspection on it pretty carefully - normal antifreeze color/looks, engine oil, hytran oil & air filter. I'd crawl under it and inspect the u-joints in the mfwd driveshaft and also the engine to hydro shaft. Inspect the tie rods for wear and slop. Take a peek to see if the previous owner no only owned a grease gun but knew how to use it! I just replaced the main drive shaft in my x585 b/c it was never greased - when it goes it takes all the hydro lines around it out too and it's well over $1000 to repair. Get the loader mounted up and verify that it functions well. Mine had slop where the arms mount to the square tube and required some welding - no big deal unless you don't have/can't weld. I would also look at the wiring on the left side that connects the engine to the harness and under the right side screen just to be sure no one has attempted to play electrician in there! If you're going to inherit someone else's headache it should be priced accordingly.

Would you be willing to purchase this right now and move the loader to a different machine in the future or is that something that you're not interested in? If you are OK with that idea then you purchase it for the loader and blade, and sell off the other components when your dream x728/x748 comes along. Or with some aftermarket brackets you can even put it on the newest (unsupported) models!

If the machine runs good and checks out then i'd offer a bit less and see what happens. If you could get it for 6000 then you'd only have $1700 in the x585! : OK - i'm not helping, am i? Good luck!
Thanks! Lots of helpful advice here!!!

Mike

·
Registered
579 Posts
I mowed leaves for the last time yesterday and took off the deck and MCS. Last night a f this morning I installed the loader subframe and mounted the loader for the first time on the 455. Looking forward to using it at my in-laws tomorrow.

I finally got some color on the loader. It looks much better but don’t get too close. I painted it with a roller and foam brush since I couldn’t stink up the garage under the house. There are lots of little imperfections, but it will have to do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Wow, looks fantastic from here, Turbo!

Random thought: Why do diesel tractors have red fuel tank caps, and gas tractors use black? The gas cans are red, and diesel cans are yellow. Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to have caps that match the can colors???

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Now some diesel caps are green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Wow, looks fantastic from here, Turbo!

Random thought: Why do diesel tractors have red fuel tank caps, and gas tractors use black? The gas cans are red, and diesel cans are yellow. Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to have caps that match the can colors???

Mike
You're using way too much logic there! That would upset the corporate structure worldwide if they used common sense logic like that!

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Too funny. I was just thinking about having gas vs diesel in the same yard. If my kid ever decided to want to refuel, it would be SO much easier if the colors matched. Not blaming him, and not going to lie, it would help me too...

Mike

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
that is correct, it hits on the very top nub. have you lubed the pivots for the rockshaft? if they havent moved in a long time they can flash freeze with rust and cause issues. if your 3 pt hitch works, your deck should work. also check that the knob isnt spinning on the shaft on the top side, to let the lift all the way down, the tab pictured must line up with the smallest part of the snailshell shaped cam on the underside. that should equate to the knob showing either the install height marker, or fall between the numbers, depending on the age of the machine.
Thank you for clarifying!! I went out this morning and worked it enough to get a deck on and lo and behold... it’s working!!!! Like you said, it must have just been frozen up there as I hadn’t used it since I added the 3ph. A huge sigh of relief as I was afraid was going to have to make the call if shame to the dealer!
4C4C8142-58FD-4979-AEA1-0A67A8363449.jpeg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I mowed leaves for the last time yesterday and took off the deck and MCS. Last night a f this morning I installed the loader subframe and mounted the loader for the first time on the 455. Looking forward to using it at my in-laws tomorrow.

I finally got some color on the loader. It looks much better but don’t get too close. I painted it with a roller and foam brush since I couldn’t stink up the garage under the house. There are lots of little imperfections, but it will have to do for now.

Man that 455 makes that loader look GOOD!!!!!! Hahaha!! Seriously that is BA in my book. Nice!!!

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,353 Posts
You're welcome @FTWingRiders, i am a Deere tech, but i also hate to see someone pay the shop labor rate (and potential pickup and delivery fees) for something silly like just working it a few times...

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I was able to sandblast one wheel from my ole 208, then husband duties happened.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
What husband duties? Was it your day to cook, clean, dishes, etc.?
Unload groceries

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,213 Posts
Unload groceries

Yep, I had to do that today also, but my wife works at a larger grocery chain so I get to unload everyday she works. (mark downs/clearance items that we eat)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Nice hauling rig, did you build it yourself?
The design was mine, modeled after several other arches. I don't weld, so I swapped firewood with a friend who is a retired welder. I did a build thread one this several years ago at: Log Arch build

Reactions: RussKish
3,379 Posts

You kept that in excellent condition.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I finally found a decent trailer for cheap. Took a long time but was worth being patient. 07 Thule galvanized tilt trailer. Had to offer the guy $100 over his asking price because so many people were trying to buy it but was still a wicked deal at $700.

And seeing the snow from these pictures figured it’s time to put the thrower on. Don’t want to be doing it the night before it snows.

12741 - 12760 of 12821 Posts