My Tractor Forum banner

12721 - 12740 of 12821 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
THAT'S my question for you guys. Having no idea how common or expensive the dash problem is, and even if I value the loader at $3k, $4,000 seems Iike a lot to me for that tractor in that condition with unknown actual hours.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Pretty much got my 49 blower back together. Ended up being a bit more intensive than planned, but such is life. Still waiting on the idler pulley and belt...tomorrow? Got it mounted and aligned the driven pulley with the clutch pulley, so far so good.

Still ugly as sin, this summer was focused on mechanical and overdue maintenance...maybe do the tins in the summer when I setup outside to blast/paint the big pieces of the blower.

Supposed to get more snow tomorrow...hope that pulley shows up. :)

Al

View attachment 2481053
View attachment 2481054
I see someone else has done the chute rod modification, really makes it much easier to store and maneuver doesn't it?

3,379 Posts
Mike, I would never buy from a private person. I would buy from a dealer where as I have recourse but that's just me because I don't have much knowledge of tractors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been looking at that one. Price seems high to me due to this:

"Says 147 hrs but the cluster is on the fritz so I don’t know how many actual hours, I would estimate 500-1000."

It's got brand new tires and seems to have been stored indoors, but otherwise doesn't appear to have been babied. The paint on the loader arms is dinged up, and the mower deck is a disaster.

What do you guys think, given that it's not diesel, the hours are unknown, and the cluster isn't working?

Mike
This summer I purchased a x585 with 1500 hours on it that replaced my x720 with unknown hours - i suspected that it had 800 - 1000 hours but i never really knew. The previous owner's father of the x720 put a new dash in but never kept track of the hours when that happened, i know i purchased it with less than 50 hours and sold it with about 150. So i put 50 hours a year on it while i had it. What i'll tell you is that even though i thought that the x720 had fewer hours on it than the x585 the x585 drives smoother and runs better than the x720 did. What i'm getting at is that I personally wouldn't worry as much hours as much as overall condition of the machine.

I'm not trying to convince you to purchase this machine but it definitely has some pros including new tires, the bucket on the loader looks very straight, comes with a deck and blade. I'm betting that deck looks worse than it is; i bet that's peeling paint and surface rust and no huge pits or anything like that. The cluster might be an easy fix - It's not clear if the whole cluster is having issues or just the clock but there are some others on here that have fixed the clusters.

Prices around me:
Loader: $2500
Blade: $1000
Deck: $800
This puts the x585 at: $2700

I disagree that it's been kept inside, the top of the hood and the 4wd lever are too faded to have been stored inside always. I'd do an inspection on it pretty carefully - normal antifreeze color/looks, engine oil, hytran oil & air filter. I'd crawl under it and inspect the u-joints in the mfwd driveshaft and also the engine to hydro shaft. Inspect the tie rods for wear and slop. Take a peek to see if the previous owner no only owned a grease gun but knew how to use it! I just replaced the main drive shaft in my x585 b/c it was never greased - when it goes it takes all the hydro lines around it out too and it's well over $1000 to repair. Get the loader mounted up and verify that it functions well. Mine had slop where the arms mount to the square tube and required some welding - no big deal unless you don't have/can't weld. I would also look at the wiring on the left side that connects the engine to the harness and under the right side screen just to be sure no one has attempted to play electrician in there! If you're going to inherit someone else's headache it should be priced accordingly.

Would you be willing to purchase this right now and move the loader to a different machine in the future or is that something that you're not interested in? If you are OK with that idea then you purchase it for the loader and blade, and sell off the other components when your dream x728/x748 comes along. Or with some aftermarket brackets you can even put it on the newest (unsupported) models!

If the machine runs good and checks out then i'd offer a bit less and see what happens. If you could get it for 6000 then you'd only have $1700 in the x585! : OK - i'm not helping, am i? Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been looking at that one. Price seems high to me due to this:

"Says 147 hrs but the cluster is on the fritz so I don’t know how many actual hours, I would estimate 500-1000."

It's got brand new tires and seems to have been stored indoors, but otherwise doesn't appear to have been babied. The paint on the loader arms is dinged up, and the mower deck is a disaster.

What do you guys think, given that it's not diesel, the hours are unknown, and the cluster isn't working?

Mike
I am not sure that 7000 is that far off. I would imagine you can get $3750 for the tractor and deck. Then another $750 for the blade and quick hitch. The loader they are going to try and use as a way to ask for more absolutely. If I was locally I would offer them 5750-6000 knowing they were going to counter. I would use the dash as a reason when offering as to why for the lower price as well as the deck and plow needing a little TLC.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You rarely see 45 loaders for sale in New England, and if they come up they are $3500

I agree that 750 is a good price for the plow and quick hitch.

I think it’s priced well as is and if you can get him to come down you would have one heck of a tractor for a reasonable price.

A X748 would easily be 2-3K more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds cool! @kawasaki old man - 1132 modified a rear-tine tiller to hang off the back of his tractor. There's info in this thread, if it was a useful reference, starting at post #22:
The life of my helper tractor begins!
Now that is a "Project" lol,, I have an old Troy Built "Horse" that I have restored 1974 vintage, the old x485 came with the 3 PT hitch so it shouldn't be much of a job to get a Tiller working. Still need to pull the Deck out and check the bearings, and gear box, I'm sure it needs new blades.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Had a big branch come down along the wooded side of my drive a few weeks ago, and there were a couple standing dead and dying so I rented chipper today.. put the x7 on tow duty and put the grapple on the X5..

8DDDEB55-2E05-45A7-B364-D6F1B3D6194D.jpeg

Had a few pines and scrub that had been an eyesore for a while. I want to clear out 10’ or so into the woods and put some blue spruce and blueberries to make to look nicer coming up the drive.
Not sure what this killer tree is but it met it’s maker quickly. It was completely covered in thorns.

2DF5E5AD-A37A-4A1F-B15D-E83438BF5CC0.jpeg

406809DB-F5D9-4634-88C5-4309D11AFFAD.jpeg

anything too big got taken out to the back 40.. that grapple is pretty handy when you need it.
A Deere in its natural habitat.. lol

29302068-752F-4E8B-AE44-075570461AA3.jpeg

also sold the cab for my old 455 to a nice gentleman.. no pic, but as it was mounted on a pallet, I used the loader with forks to load it onto he’s truck.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Still trying to figure out my deck lift issue.. looking underneath, it looks like the black bracket isn’t centered properly around the step dial..it’s hitting at the top of the black bracket.. (if my totally made up terminology makes sense), can anyone tell me if this looks correct, or should it be resting in the groove?
220CACE0-AD79-46BD-9710-6782CC79A4B7.jpeg

·
Registered
579 Posts
Forest, I think that is called Hawthorn. We had them at my dad's house.

3,379 Posts
Growing up one of neighbors had one but it was a Honey Locust and when ever a ball ended up by the tree we would get stab by those thorns getting the ball.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I see someone else has done the chute rod modification, really makes it much easier to store and maneuver doesn't it?
Seemed like a pretty good idea, and IIRC, it was from your 49 thread...;)

I bought the tractor and implements this spring. Tractor was barely running and died getting off the trailer, blower was on a pallet and seized. It's come quite a ways back toward being the useful tool it once was.

First time I've had the blower mounted. Pulley and belt came in today, and while I had to clear the driveway and yard ... I did leave a little snow to test out the 316/49 tomorrow. ;)

Al

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Thanks guys. Not going near it for $7k, and not overly comfortable at $6k, honestly.

If it had a working meter and no other issues, I'd have it on my trailer by now for full price.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Seemed like a pretty good idea, and IIRC, it was from your 49 thread...;)

I bought the tractor and implements this spring. Tractor was barely running and died getting off the trailer, blower was on a pallet and seized. It's come quite a ways back toward being the useful tool it once was.

First time I've had the blower mounted. Pulley and belt came in today, and while I had to clear the driveway and yard ... I did leave a little snow to test out the 316/49 tomorrow. ;)

Al
Looks like you're on your way to a nice restoration of the snowblower. Don't forget the flapper mod when you get to the auger, it will really help move heavy wet snow and increase the throwing distance.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Thanks guys. Not going near it for $7k, and not overly comfortable at $6k, honestly.

If it had a working meter and no other issues, I'd have it on my trailer by now for full price.

Mike
I'll watch this for a while. If it's not sold in a few weeks, maybe I'll make an offer.

Mike

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
You are way ahead of us on snow removal this year LTG!!
And we’re only in November! I had to change my chute angle so I could clear the existing heaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,353 Posts
Still trying to figure out my deck lift issue.. looking underneath, it looks like the black bracket isn’t centered properly around the step dial..it’s hitting at the top of the black bracket.. (if my totally made up terminology makes sense), can anyone tell me if this looks correct, or should it be resting in the groove?
View attachment 2481168
that is correct, it hits on the very top nub. have you lubed the pivots for the rockshaft? if they havent moved in a long time they can flash freeze with rust and cause issues. if your 3 pt hitch works, your deck should work. also check that the knob isnt spinning on the shaft on the top side, to let the lift all the way down, the tab pictured must line up with the smallest part of the snailshell shaped cam on the underside. that should equate to the knob showing either the install height marker, or fall between the numbers, depending on the age of the machine.

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Registered
121 Posts
Reactions: mopar65pa
12721 - 12740 of 12821 Posts