My Tractor Forum banner

11941 - 11960 of 12251 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Was helping my BIL on the farm. Last storm blew 3 pieces of tin off the roof of the tractor shed. Closest I got to a Deere was leaning on the old 1020. His wife called and said she was sick and needed him to come home. He rushed off. Doc told me there were several dead trees by her garden, so I took down an Apple, a Cherry, and two big Ash. There is a Pine that’s been dead so long all the limbs have fallen of. I was going to put a tag line in it and drop it too. But, about 60 feet up is a perfectly round hole, with the bark gone around it, and the wood polished from something going in and out. I think it might be an Owl. I realy don’t want to kill it if that’s what’s in there. But the tree is dangerous to anyone in the drive. I’ll be back on the farm Thursday, guess I’ll take it down then.

·
Super Moderator
31,814 Posts
Picked up the valve cover gaskets for the 322's. That will be a rainy day project and right now Mother Nature is giving me sandblasting days, supposed to change this weekend and get very cool next week with no temps in the 60's even.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wonder if you could bang on the tree with an axe or sledge and scare whatever is in the hole into coming out.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wonder if you could bang on the tree with an axe or sledge and scare whatever is in the hole into coming out.
I thought of that. Just thinking Owls come out at night it might just hang tight. But, I was supposed to reserve a 35’ man lift for tomorrow, the guy using it yesterday didn’t bring it back yet, so they gave me a 50 footer for the same price. That might get me high enough to get a rope on the top and cut ten feet out and lower it down. If there is a taller crotch in one of the trees next to it, it should work.

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
You might get the adults out but what about the young'uns?

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Super Moderator
13,316 Posts
I mowed with the 455 this evening.

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
Great picture and beautiful lawn Mr. Beef!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Received water temp sensor for 445. Had some free time yesterday so I swapped it out, but light on the dash is still blinking. Temp gauge on dash works and typically stays in the lower third.
I did receive my new water pump, so I'll change that first before digging into other reasons.
Also ordered the reverse pedal from eh'Bay a d still wanting for a replacement hose. Looks like rain early next week, hopefully I have everything by the time I end work on Monday.

My wife is a school counselor at our county BOCES and we were talking about a student of hers who attends the diesel/ag/heavy machinery program for HS juniors and seniors. They work on all equipment in including mowers, tractors, skids. You can drop off and they repair for free and owner pays for parts. I'm kind of debating this. I dont have a heated garage and have a known though very slow leak from the trans that even if I knew what was wrong and how to repair, I don't think I'll have time to attempt before it's too cold. Seems like they do a tear down of the engine and rebuild. Same with the trans too. Figured with the electrical, radiator and power steering, gives them a little extra to practice on. Just worried about how COVID will impact if schools here shut down again.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My auto and body shop in high school did that. We were considered out in the sticks in the early 70's. I had two friends that drove big farm tractors to school every day. One was a Minneapolis Moline and the other a JD.

·
Super Moderator
31,814 Posts
My auto and body shop in high school did that. We were considered out in the sticks in the early 70's. I had two friends that drove big farm tractors to school every day. One was a Minneapolis Moline and the other a JD.
I drove the snowmobile to school once! Never thought about the tractor...to slow! Our class took in small engines and did repairs on them, I should have paid more attention when I was in there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We had a big row of sleds on the front lawn of HS in the winter. There were a bunch of kids that could get to school much quicker than riding the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
31,814 Posts
As far as I know I was the only one that did it. I did get to talk to the principal that day, but you know if you offer to let them drive it a bit they don't throw the book at you!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mr. Beef, I'm always in awe when I see pics of your lawn. How long does it take to mow with the 455?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Mr. Beef, I'm always in awe when I see pics of your lawn. How long does it take to mow with the 455?
Seconded. It looks great, and it's huge! I'm also curious how long it takes, and how much area that is.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Used it, along with my cart, as a portable tool box to finish off my wood shed. Other than two 16' treated 2x4's, all the lumber and the Lexan I used for the roof was leftover...aka "free"!
ShedTools.jpg ShedFront.jpg ShedRear.jpg

Reactions: Ken22

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I do love that saw! Got to be 20+ years old. The original NiCad batteries are long gone but luckily Craftsman kept the line and upgraded the battery technology over time. I have 4 batteries, a couple of drills, an impact driver, and a right-angle drill. I've caught a few sales over the years where I got a drill plus 2 batteries and a charger for the price of just the batteries!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,892 Posts
Gave the x728 a bath with the assistance of my official hoser:

Reactions: shagjzhgt235
11941 - 11960 of 12251 Posts