My Tractor Forum banner

11921 - 11940 of 12335 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,614 Posts
Biggest problem I have us that there's no good time for winter prep. If I used the tractor-mount, I have to wait until the end of leaf season, which is typically Thanksgiving weekend, and we all know that a lot can happen before then!

Last year was an anomaly here. First time the kids did zero sledding (they're 13 and 9). I think we had one early storm, but they didn't want to go before it melted.

Mike
Hi Mike, this year I have enough running tractors that I can either set up the big Deeres for blowing/plowing and use my reclaimed Craftsman for late season mowing/leaf wrangling. The Craftsman bagger is much easier to use than the powerflow anyway.

Besides, don't you have that nice Honda walk behind for early winter "surprises?"

·
Premium Member
9,614 Posts
A mid mount blade is just like a motor grader. The biggest difference in this case is the machine size and lack of down force. This means it is not capable of “digging” per say. It can move loose material well though.
As I understand it the mid mount blade doesn't bounce around as much as a front or rear mounted blade do causing less "washboarding" of the surface.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Delivered today was my water temp sensor. Gasket for that is late, should be here next week.

I had replaced gaskets for water pump in August. Someone recommended that I change the water pump too. Would have made more sense when I removed it, but I was antsy when fixing my known issues. Having sat on it, I thought I might as well change it. Unsure when or if it was ever changed.

PS hose for left turn shipped today. Think we might have rain one day next weekend so I'll try and replace that in the morning.

Have been busy with house.projecta the past month. Between that and little rain, I haven't had to worry about cutting. As I have a walk behind snow thrower, I may have 2 mows left for the year until the Deere and Cub are put up.

Due to black something or other on my front maple tree leaves, the tree company recommended I rake and dispose of leaves rather than mulching. So, Not only do I have a few mows left, I have less seat down to boot.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Due to black something or other on my front maple tree leaves, the tree company recommended I rake and dispose of leaves rather than mulching. So, Not only do I have a few mows left, I have less seat down to boot.
That's a bummer, sorry. I've become a big fan of just mulching the leaves. Hopefully the raking process isn't too bad. Can you mow & bag them, and then get rid of the bagged contents?

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Hi Mike, this year I have enough running tractors that I can either set up the big Deeres for blowing/plowing and use my reclaimed Craftsman for late season mowing/leaf wrangling. The Craftsman bagger is much easier to use than the powerflow anyway.

Besides, don't you have that nice Honda walk behind for early winter "surprises?"
Good memory!

Yes, I have the Honda. Unfortunately, that's all I've been using since I bought it. I did buy a newer tractor for the snowblower attachment, but that developed a fuel delivery problem.

I recognized this problem many years ago (needing to have multiple tractors to handle the season-change surprises). In fact, I'm a big fan of owning multiple identical tractors (identical enough to share attachments). My wife, not so much...

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not sure about mulching, raking and bagging them after. The tree guy is supposed to be here today or tomorrow to stake the trees, so I'll follow up. My plan was to rake onto a tarp and dispose in the woods where there isn't any maples as I think it is maple specific.
To stay on topic with JD... I'll attach the tarp to the hopefully nonleaking 445 and drive the tarp and leaves into the woods rather than walking the tarp.

I do have the mulching system on the cub. This would have been the first year using it for leaves. I'd like to buy one for the 445. With all my flower beds up front, I don't want to blow any clippings, grass or leaves, into them and the mulch plug solves that issue. My maple in the back wasn't hit, so I'll mulch that into a neat row to then rake right into the garden.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Depending on the growth, you might want to bag and dispose of the infected leaves somewhere off your property so it doesn't spread to other trees.

Does your town have a yard waste collection area or process?

Mike

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mowed 3 lawns with the X540. Just before I went on vacation, I mowed a lawn for an old customer. She just had a new septic system put in. On the very last cut I hit a piece of steel they berried and popped a new this season tire. I had the truck all clean for vacation and not a single tool in it. I did have a gallon of green slime so I filled the tire. It stay hard for almost a month. This morning it was almost flat. I took my small compressor and filled the tire at the first lawn. got two lawns done. On the third lawn I felt something wet hit me in the face. At first I thought it was water from the radiator, but it was COLD. I looked at the front tire and every time it went around green slime was shooting 6' in the air. Now I've got speckles of slime all over my new hood, Joe.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Wow, you just can't win!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry. You DO paint a funny picture with the story, though.

After seeing the mess it made (from the PO) inside a tire that I removed, I'm hoping I can avoid ever needing to use it. Granted, I'm just mowing at home, so it's not usually time-sensitive. Hopefully I'd have time to put in a tube, if necessary.

I guess if I was really planning ahead, I could buy at least tube of my size, to have available if needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't you winter prep guys settle down and enjoy the fall, which hasn't even arrived yet???!!!

Mike
It will be at least 2 months before I pull the mow deck & power shovel, grease the joints again, put on the chains & mount the snow blower.
Does that make you feel better?
Happy last day of summer!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry. You DO paint a funny picture with the story, though.

After seeing the mess it made (from the PO) inside a tire that I removed, I'm hoping I can avoid ever needing to use it. Granted, I'm just mowing at home, so it's not usually time-sensitive. Hopefully I'd have time to put in a tube, if necessary.

I guess if I was really planning ahead, I could buy at least tube of my size, to have available if needed.
Before I slimed it, I found a plug kit with the round file for cleaning the hole and the funny tool for pushing in the plug, but I couldn't find any plugs. My 52" walk behind has a plug in one tire that was there when I bought it. It had just under 500 hours on it, I've put 450 on it, and that plug has never lost a pound of air. The funny thing, whoever put it in left it sticking out a good inch, and it hasn't worn off yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had 6 yards of loam delivered. Spread it over a number of spots. One stump that I ground, the pool location, and some areas that were just too thin to grow. I can’t scoop a totally full bucket, but that’s ok because it’s about all the poor 425 can handle. Second pic is my helper spreading seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
Joe, that story about the slime had me rolling. I have had great luck with tire plugs over the years. I’ll never forget buying my first set of performance tires at 21. About 1k miles and I picked up a screw. I was devastated. A friend plugged it for me and I ran that tire down to the wear bars. I have never had a plug let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
It will be at least 2 months before I pull the mow deck & power shovel, grease the joints again, put on the chains & mount the snow blower.
Does that make you feel better?
Happy last day of summer!
Thanks! You guys DO realize that I'm just jealous that I don't have all of those toys, plus a shop that big to prep in, right???

I had 6 yards of loam delivered. Spread it over a number of spots. One stump that I ground, the pool location, and some areas that were just too thin to grow. I can’t scoop a totally full bucket, but that’s ok because it’s about all the poor 425 can handle. Second pic is my helper spreading seed.

Looks great! And, one little loader bite at a time beats a shovel and wheelbarrow... ALL... DAY... LONG!!!!!

Mike

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Yeah, turboaudi80, that's awesome! A loader would be such a cool tool. And definitely, that beats the heck out of a shovel!!

11921 - 11940 of 12335 Posts