My Tractor Forum banner

11821 - 11840 of 11976 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
That definitely seems high for a 2004! You can find some X7xx series machines for just a little more.

3,088 Posts
Well its 2004 X585 with only 500 hours. That's 31 hours a year. That 2013 X738 has 1165 hours on it. That's 166 hours a year. I rather have an older model like the X585 that's used only 31 hours a year. The reason being the X738 is out of New York that gets a lot of snow every year. Whoever owned it ran it longer to cut grass and/or plow snow. Whoever owned that X585 was local owned here and didn't plow much snow. We only had two major snow storms in the last 16 years.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Well its 2004 X585 with only 500 hours. That's 31 hours a year. That 2013 X738 has 1165 hours on it. That's 166 hours a year. I rather have an older model like the X585 that's used only 31 hours a year. The reason being the X738 is out of New York that gets a lot of snow every year. Whoever owned it ran it longer to cut grass and/or plow snow. Whoever owned that X585 was local owned here and didn't plow much snow. We only had two major snow storms in the last 16 years.
Don, just an example of what's out there and available. I realize that all that has to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I looked at a immaculate John Deere X585 with 62 inch deck, a 3 point quick hitch, 47 inch snowblower, has weights and chains and has 500 hours on it. He says it was kept in a garage and serviced every year since he bought it new in 2004. He had papers on it. I told him I already have a heavy duty snowblower and need another one like a hole in my head. I can't use the chains because I have a finished concrete driveway and I don't want to mess it up. He said he only wants $7000 for everything. The things I don't need he said sell it on Craigslist. I offered him $5000 cash for the tractor only and flashed it in front of his face. He turned down the offer. I said okay, thanks for letting me look at it.
I don’t think $5k was too unreasonable but if it’s that clean with those hours that would be a real good price ..Never hurts to ask! He just doesn’t want to deal with selling the blower separately like you.. a clean 47” can go for $1500-$2000 or more up here, and I’ve had no problems selling them, especially if the QA is included. I imagine he’ll find someone willing to buy the whole she-bang.. a clean, low hour one owner X5 is **** hard to find.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Wish I had the cash, and it had a loader...

EDIT: Don, I never really thought about the points you're making regarding a northern vs. southern machine. I always assumed that a southern machine would get a lot more use, especially mowing?

Having said that, my machines don't necessarily get to sit in the winter. If my blower attachment is on, one machine blows snow (otherwise the walk-behind Honda tracked unit gets that job).

If there's no snow, I'm usually using a machine for firewood or other tug duties.

The most abuse they get is probably in the fall (leaf season). Lots of hours, running the mower, pulling the Trac Vac, all in very dusty conditions.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Wow, that does sound like a pretty awesome machine! Maybe he'd meet you at $6k.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I live a few miles from Don, and grew up in the same area. I was so pumped up to try out the snow blower on my new to me X540, that I had it all mounted up and pointed down my drive. We had one storm calling for something like 3-9 inches. We live right on a bump line where 4-5 degrees can make the difference of a foot of snow or twice that much rain. My poor tractor sat at the top of the drive all winter. I was almost in tears when I finally pulled the blower off and put the mower back on. Not enough snow to blow. I usually use my JD's all year round with firewood and stuff in the winter and mowing the rest of the year. I kind of like it like that. I never get stale fuel in it. I attribute that to the longevity of my 3000 hour plus 265. Never tastes nasty fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Having said that, my machines don't necessarily get to sit in the winter. If my blower attachment is on, one machine blows snow (otherwise the walk-behind Honda tracked unit gets that job).

If there's no snow, I'm usually using a machine for firewood or other tug duties.
It's funny, the other day I was briefly thinking about snow duty, because I'm working on setting up a bucket with my tractor, and the seller mentioned you could use it for snow. I realized I don't think I could bring myself to try that. The machine's in such nice shape (albeit used) that getting it all wet, and potentially salty, wasn't very appealing.

Of course, it would be silly to do my driveway with a tractor anyhow. And I have a nice Ariens 2-stage, and a Toro single-stage, which take care of snow duty. My tractors don't get used in the winter. Except for the time that I tried to use my last one to move my trailer, when there was a layer of hard snow in the yard. And then kinda got the tractor stuck in the yard :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although I floated the idea of upgrading to the X738 to ease the effort of the snowblowing/plowing season, I didn't as yet actually pull the trigger. Like RedOctobyr I use a walk behind Ariens SHO28 Deluxe 2 stage for the driveway, and the single stage 18"Toro for the walkways. My 1982 317, owned since new has 650 hrs on the original Kohler 17HP, and 1200 hrs on the replacement Onan 18 HP installed January 1995- (approx 50-60 hrs annually) mowing and leaf vacuuming with the Cyclone rake. Tractor is performing very well with annual maintenance and a new drive shaft 2 yrs ago. No leaks. I'm surprised, and perhaps embarassed to admit to Jere39 that my original Carlisle Turf tires hold air, are wearing evenly; they would not handle snow removal to be sure, but seem fine on the relatively flat topography of my 2 acre property. Hard to replace this 38 year old friend. It's the 2nd oldest item I own. Biggest concern going forward would be potential parts availability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it this 40" electric shovel?
John Deere 40 inch Tractor Shovel LP40000

How do you like it? Someone was selling one locally, I was really tempted to buy it and try to mount it to my non-Deere. Then it eventually sold and I'd missed my chance. If it wasn't too much trouble, would you mind perhaps posting a picture of how it attaches to the tractor? I was curious.

Using a single actuator to raise/lower the bucket, and also to dump it, seems pretty clever! What sorts of materials have you used it with? What tractor is it on? Looks like it's done some nice work for you, that looks great!
Yes, the 40" tractor shovel
I like it a lot, but I also got it for what I consider a great price (under 300 used), drove an hour and a half to go get it, missing a few minor parts ordered for another 20 buck.
It mounts via a mount rod across the front weight bracket plate & 2 frame insert studs.
A picture will help explain that, I'll have to shoot 1 if I work w the tractor tomorrow.

The single actuator works well enough, & the bucket is not terribly huge, but it gets the job done w patience.
It has about an inch of down force distance, so you can do some scraping & about 7 inches ground clearance raised max.

I have hauled 5 yds gravel, 10 yds garden soil, scrapped about 5 yards jersey topsoil & clay, about 1.5 tons of concrete (2 80# sacks at a time in already lifted shovel), loads of brick, loads of rock, loads of logs.
Ive learned that the actuator is ok, but could be better, often requiring you to jostle the tractor or reverse slowly to keep it lifting a near capacity load.
I would guesstimate practical capacity @ 100 lbs/1.5 - 2.0 cu ft of material.
I've also used it to do rudimentary leveling - the bucket bottom & sides can be locked up manually them back acts as blade using height adjust rocker switch.

Honestly I beat the [email protected] out of it & tractor (X304) & they both hold up very well considering the abuse.

Knowing now what I do, I would do my support reinforcement right out of the gate, it was maybe an hour of work taking my sweet time.

Also it appears there are 2 versions, one like mine with a handle welded on the sidewall to lift the shovel into locking position
The other with a cut thru handle in the sidewall which another member says leaks contents out some on full loads.
I think I would go with my version had I known there was a difference.

Seriously, this sucker has saved my back & knees, well worth it, considering it's more a putterers attachment than a serious attachment.
If I had banked the funds & know of the other shovel being made for x series machines before buying this I may have waited.
But I can't beat the price for what this one has done for me.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Seriously, this sucker has saved my back & knees, well worth it, considering it's more a putterers attachment than a serious attachment.
If I had banked the funds & know of the other shovel being made for x series machines before buying this I may have waited.
But I can't beat the price for what this one has done for me.
That's great feedback, thank you! Sounds like it has done an awful lot of work for you! And seems like you got a great price on it.

Maybe naiively, I don't think it sounds awful to have to be patient with something like that. If it means you have to do 15 scoops instead of 10, that still sounds a lot better than a shovel and wheel barrow!

The kinds of things I'd foresee using it for would be mainly scooping from a pile of material, and moving it. And maybe some smoothing of that material, after putting it down.

I found a used Swisher bucket, and am working on how to mount it. It's a little larger (44") than the Shovel, but I'm not sure that's a benefit :) It's even more weight hanging off the front of the tractor, and I really doubt it could handle a full bucket, unless maybe it was a really light material.

I'm planning to use a winch to raise/lower it (that's how it's designed to be used, on an ATV), so no provision for down force. It has a lever you pull to release the bucket, and gravity swings it down to dump. So at least stock, you can't do something like dump it a little. It's all or nothing.

Being able to use it for scraping might be doable. I could probably add something to lock the bucket in the dumped position, so it stays pointing down. Then maybe hang some weight on the bucket, for down force. Not perfect, but hey, what can you do? Using actuators instead of the winch looks doable, and would allow down force and better control. But the winch was $70, and decent actuators appear to be more like $300 or so. I'll start with this, anyways.

For my sorts of occasional uses, I'm hoping it could still be helpful. It sounds like a nice capability.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I got a 47 blower with my 445, spent a couple hundred bucks reconditioning it, and collecting the rest of the parts needed to mount it, only to have it sit in the barn all winter........ Sure, we got some snow, but, on the 'snow' days, it was high winds, and generally single-digit temps.... So, not real motivated to be outside in that.... (the wife and I both have 4 wheel drive vehicles, so, 4-10 inches of snow isn't a bother) And looking at the weather forecast, two days after it would snow, temps would get into the 40's, and it was all going to melt anyway....... Oh well. See what happens this year. :D

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,839 Posts
Although I floated the idea of upgrading to the X738 to ease the effort of the snowblowing/plowing season, I didn't as yet actually pull the trigger. Like RedOctobyr I use a walk behind Ariens SHO28 Deluxe 2 stage for the driveway, and the single stage 18"Toro for the walkways. My 1982 317, owned since new has 650 hrs on the original Kohler 17HP, and 1200 hrs on the replacement Onan 18 HP installed January 1995- (approx 50-60 hrs annually) mowing and leaf vacuuming with the Cyclone rake. Tractor is performing very well with annual maintenance and a new drive shaft 2 yrs ago. No leaks. I'm surprised, and perhaps embarassed to admit to Jere39 that my original Carlisle Turf tires hold air, are wearing evenly; they would not handle snow removal to be sure, but seem fine on the relatively flat topography of my 2 acre property. Hard to replace this 38 year old friend. It's the 2nd oldest item I own. Biggest concern going forward would be potential parts availability.
No worries, and certainly no embarrassment necessary. My rear tires are fine at 728 hours, it was just the steering tires and although there may be a toe-in/out issue, I'm guessing it has more to do with full-time awd on those steering tires. They do hold air, I check every equipment change over and never show any change. I suspect rotation would be useful, but it would be a pain. I'll be due for a hydro fluid change before grapple rigging, and will have the front wheels off to complete that. I'll probably cheat and take them to a local tire place and have them reversed. If that buys me another 10 years, and it should, I'll be fine.

11821 - 11840 of 11976 Posts