My Tractor Forum banner

11481 - 11500 of 12360 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,020 Posts
Went out and moved some old trees that had dropped and I cut in lengths with the loader. Just an excuse to use the loader. Looks like the o-ring in one of the front connectors has really failed, little trails of hydro fluid were visible. Will be doing some maintenance on at least one tomorrow. I have the o-rings already so will be doing that and an oil change, hydro fluid change, and fuel filter and air filter changes.

3,180 Posts
Do you know what “Rels” stands for? Hint, the R is Robert. I used to hang out at his brothers gas station, the Shell, in Cloverly. My best friend’s mom lives on Norbeck and his grandparents used to live in the apartment over Red Door Country Store. I bet we know some of the same people. Dr Van OggTrop lived a couple streets over from you. Really nice folks.
RELS=Robert E. Lee Smith. I'm not sure if he is related to the Lee Family but there are Lee family descendants in the area. They discovered and owned all of Silver Spring, MD. You know the rest of the story.
Years ago someone said that horse up at Rels field on Layhill Road that looks half dead was 50 years old.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just about give up on my lawn. I had some trees removed in the front yard. I had the stumps ground up. I had topsoil placed in the areas. I planted grass seed three times. Each time with a different brand of seed. I spread fertilizer on the areas. I have straw covering the areas. I've been watering the areas knowing my water bill is going be through the roof when I get it. Nothing has sprouted up. The only thing I think the seed won't germinate is because its too hot outside. 85 to 90 degrees. I thought the sun would help but I guess it doesn't. I probably spent a thousand so far on topsoil, seed, fertilizer, and straw. I think I'm going to wait until the fall like October, and get some sod. It sells for 65 cents a square foot. I need about a thousand square feet. So that's another $650 I'll have to spend.
You can grow seed when its hot but it requires very frequent short waterings. It can be done esp if you have a water timer. But if not, yeah wait till labor day and try then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Installed the 3 point rockshaft and brackets onto my 318 from my parts machine. Now on to Ruegg for arms and top link, stolen off the parts machine at some point before I bought it.
received_1509917622535676.jpg
received_2412855139011573.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,020 Posts
On the PA 322 I replaced the o-rings in the quick connect. Now I'd already gone to JD to get these and wasn't happy when the ones they gave me were the ones for behind the quick connect not to seal the connector!!! So had to run to dealer who only had 6 (getting them for both machines so I need 8) then to NAPA and they only had 1!! Murphy is definitely along for the ride on this bit of maintenance.

Edit: 3 of the o-rings I removed broke when I lifted them out of their slots, they were really fragile!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, to stay on topic I mowed the animal clinic on my X540.

But, first thing this morning I went over to mow my friends 7 acre field, with his Land Pride 60" Z turn. They are the friends that gave me the Mini Hay Wagon.They moved to Florida and still have 3 lots to sell. The Z was actually harder to get used to than my Walk Behind. I just got on the WB and could back up on the Velke, and every thing felt natural. Not so on the Z Turn. It took some getting used to. I was finally mowing at a good clip. Then I slowed down to trim around a big Magnolia tree. I was cutting as close as I could without skinning the bark. So, I was looking down, and didn't notice a 12" limb just above eye level. I was going slow so I just kind of ground my forehead and cheek off, going under the branch. I wound up with a black eye that starts above my right eye down to the top row of teeth, and from my nose to my ear. Took a few minutes to find my hat and glasses and shake the cobwebs out. After that I had a blast.

·
Registered
175 Posts

But, first thing this morning I went over to mow my friends 7 acre field, with his Land Pride 60" Z turn. They are the friends that gave me the Mini Hay Wagon.They moved to Florida and still have 3 lots to sell. The Z was actually harder to get used to than my Walk Behind. I just got on the WB and could back up on the Velke, and every thing felt natural. Not so on the Z Turn. It took some getting used to. I was finally mowing at a good clip. Then I slowed down to trim around a big Magnolia tree. I was cutting as close as I could without skinning the bark. So, I was looking down, and didn't notice a 12" limb just above eye level. I was going slow so I just kind of ground my forehead and cheek off, going under the branch. I wound up with a black eye that starts above my right eye down to the top row of teeth, and from my nose to my ear. Took a few minutes to find my hat and glasses and shake the cobwebs out. After that I had a blast.
OUCH!!! 🤕 Good thing you were going slow!

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,117 Posts

I think you need to trim some low hanging branches, I use a 7' pole to help select the low hangers (any low hanger, even ones that start way up and just sink down)

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Yikes!!! I just did some branch pruning a few weeks ago, seems like there's always more to do.

Mike

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,117 Posts
You might want to order the NFL helmet ( your favorite team) with full face mask and plexi-shields from your favorite team for mowing use, then you could modify it for drink access (pump your favorite beverage). Wire in some earphones and mic (think auto racing, etc.) to cellphone for communications and music.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think you need to trim some low hanging branches, I use a 7' pole to help select the low hangers (any low hanger, even ones that start way up and just sink down)
It’s not my property. This limb is a good 12” diameter and comes out about 3’ and goes straight up, making the whole front side of a beautiful Magnolia. Believe me, I was so mad I almost cut the whole tree down. I keep all of my trees elevated so I don’t poke the eyes out on delivery people, they bring all of the cool stuff. I still have lots of my Dads tree service equipment. I have pole saws and clips with 4, six foot extensions. I posted a pic of the project wagon with a load of brush on it. That came from my new Echo power pruner. Man, that thing is great.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You might want to order the NFL helmet ( your favorite team) with full face mask and plexi-shields from your favorite team for mowing use, then you could modify it for drink access (pump your favorite beverage). Wire in some earphones and mic (think auto racing, etc.) to cellphone for communications and music.
Dang, I’ve got a big red Homelite helmet, the kind with the rim all the way around. I just ordered new electronic hearing protectors. I set my old ones on the fender of my trailer with a bottle of Gator Aid. I found the Gator Aid.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear that! Glad you weren't hurt worse, but wow, that sounds like it really got you. And a 12" branch isn't going to move a whole lot.

·
Super Moderator
32,020 Posts
Rarefish, sorry to hear about the accident, you just have to be careful anytime operating equipment. I'd probably have a talk with the neighbor to see if he'd let you trim them up a bit higher. Glad you didn't have anything worse happen!

·
Registered
750 Posts
When Dad was in business, one of my jobs was to train the FNG how to pay attention. The limb is so big it can’t be removed. I just wasn’t looking straight ahead and drove right into it. So much for all of my safety knowledge?

·
Super Moderator
32,020 Posts
Well looking at the condition of the radiators on the 322's I'm planning on pulling them (obviously one at a time) and getting them descaled and flushed at a radiator shop. Will probably do the PA 322 first and then the NY 322 afterwards. Have been getting the hot engine indicator more this summer than before.

3,180 Posts

I tore off my grass catcher one time while focusing on some eye candy coming down the sidewalk. There's a lot of pedestrian traffic on my street.

11481 - 11500 of 12360 Posts