My Tractor Forum banner

11461 - 11480 of 12335 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
cut grass with the ole 112 today, I haven't drove between these trees since 04 when i bought a 420, These trees are at the back of my 6 acres, so I don't trim around them .

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mowed the yard with the 110. Fresh oil, cleaned and adjusted points, and a rebuilt carb. Ran amazing! Great time until I was done and went to raise the deck...where the **** is the lift lever button:mad: Well the slightly rusted buttons didn’t quite look good with the recent paint and decals, so I guess it’s time for a nice pair of stainless buttons from HAPCO:unsure:

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
First of all my brother-in-law (who is ~100 pounds lighter than me and hence less top-heavy on the GT) went out and mowed all of the sloped areas that I thought were a bit too steep for me to mow safely, at least not without someone overseeing and 911 on speed dial. He said it was like playing Super Mario Cart but better. We had recently re-graded the whole area with 50 yards of topsoil brought in, with a goal of at least making it easy to mow (previously even walking was precarious).

My threshold for safety is keeping all four wheels on the ground... he is comfortable with three and will occasionally accept two on the ground as long as he has room to turn downhill quickly.

I'll be using the string trimmer most of the time since (a) the tires tore up the ground in places when turning and driving fast enough to make the hills, (b) the hills have just been seeded so there'll be new grass coming up, and (c) the GT still feels too tippy with me in the seat... but having it mowed once to cut up all the weed bits was a great start.

Next up, I had ordered a seeder/spreader from Lowes back in May, just around the time that Lowes Canada was changing to a new web site. I received all the proper emails but nobody could find my order in the system... they suggested waiting to "see what happened". Around the end of June I received another email saying my order had been delayed (at least it told me that there was an order) and around the end of July it arrived.

We assembled it this morning, loaded it up with 30-ish pounds of probably-heat-damaged seed for testing, and started testing it on already established lawn. The spreader has an adjustable stop for different amounts of seed, with numbers from one to 10. We figured we should start at 2 (rather than, you know, reading the instructions) and go up from there so after trying 2, 4, 6, and 7 we finally settled on 8 as "just right". Now I can load it up with good seed.

The first bag of seed had been stored in the back of a black pickup with a black cap in the sun for a few weeks so I don't have high hopes of getting much yield, but I figure that spreading it is still better than tossing it. Being able to plant my butt in the GT235 seat and drive around to seed made that an easy decision.

If I had had to use my push seeder where the handle is 18" too short and I have to walk like a hunchback behind it I might have made a different decision :)
IMG_20200808_115710.jpg

3,168 Posts
I just about give up on my lawn. I had some trees removed in the front yard. I had the stumps ground up. I had topsoil placed in the areas. I planted grass seed three times. Each time with a different brand of seed. I spread fertilizer on the areas. I have straw covering the areas. I've been watering the areas knowing my water bill is going be through the roof when I get it. Nothing has sprouted up. The only thing I think the seed won't germinate is because its too hot outside. 85 to 90 degrees. I thought the sun would help but I guess it doesn't. I probably spent a thousand so far on topsoil, seed, fertilizer, and straw. I think I'm going to wait until the fall like October, and get some sod. It sells for 65 cents a square foot. I need about a thousand square feet. So that's another $650 I'll have to spend.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
The only thing I think the seed won't germinate is because its too hot outside. 85 to 90 degrees. I thought the sun would help but I guess it doesn't. I probably spent a thousand so far on topsoil, seed, fertilizer, and straw. I think I'm going to wait until the fall like October, and get some sod. It sells for 65 cents a square foot. I need about a thousand square feet. So that's another $650 I'll have to spend.
I think you're right about the heat. Everything else you put down is still good... I would wait until the weather gets down to highs of 70 and re-seed, then rake it in and water. It's possible that the seed you already put down will germinate, but I don't think you can count on that.

BTW how often were you watering ? In this kind of weather you probably need short waterings 3-5 times a day to keep the ground moist. Much less than that and the seed is either going to wait for better conditions or germinate and die.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have grass growing well where my big stump was. I have watered up to 3 times a day in the heat.

I hauled the trailer around and finished picking up storm debris along with trimmings from some shrubs.

This is the second load of this size. My lawn was a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
One of my lawn customers in Olney, Md, has her house for sale. They built on to the house years ago, so it wouldn't pass code for the septic now. They finished putting in 9 drain fields and a new tank and grading, 3 weeks ago. There are 3 big green domes in her front yard now. I had to go mow around the perimeter yesterday. All of the seed, under straw, is up and should have been mowed. The landscaper said to give it another month.In another month it will be hay. Don, she is only 10-15 miles from you, right on Georgia avenue, in Brookeville. I know she is watering, I don't know how much. My neighbor did a bunch of grading and put in new soil and seed. He gets potting soil, puts the seed down, then sprinkles the potting soil over the seed. His is up in a little over a week and ready to mow in two weeks. He waters in the morning and evening. We are on wells so he can't go over board on the water. I know my neighbor is using K31 for seed. I don't know what my lawn customer's landscaper is using. I've never had that kind of success seeding, Joe.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
He waters in the morning and evening. We are on wells so he can't go over board on the water.
Right... that was the learning experience for me - you don't necessarily need more water for new seed than for an established lawn, but it has to be frequent small waterings rather than periodic deep waterings because it's the top 1/4" of soil that matters rather than the entire root zone of the established grass plants.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
This is good info, thanks guys. I have some bare areas to seed, it's tempting to start now, but I think the smart move is to wait until we're past the peak summer heat. I can't bring myself to already use the word fa..... fa...... The season that comes after summer.

·
Premium Member
9,614 Posts
This is good info, thanks guys. I have some bare areas to seed, it's tempting to start now, but I think the smart move is to wait until we're past the peak summer heat. I can't bring myself to already use the word fa..... fa...... The season that comes after summer.
Tonight the sun went down before 8:00pm here.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
You hush! Yeah, it was already pretty dark at 8:15 here. Ugh.

3,168 Posts
One of my lawn customers in Olney, Md, has her house for sale. They built on to the house years ago, so it wouldn't pass code for the septic now. They finished putting in 9 drain fields and a new tank and grading, 3 weeks ago. There are 3 big green domes in her front yard now. I had to go mow around the perimeter yesterday. All of the seed, under straw, is up and should have been mowed. The landscaper said to give it another month.In another month it will be hay. Don, she is only 10-15 miles from you, right on Georgia avenue, in Brookeville. I know she is watering, I don't know how much. My neighbor did a bunch of grading and put in new soil and seed. He gets potting soil, puts the seed down, then sprinkles the potting soil over the seed. His is up in a little over a week and ready to mow in two weeks. He waters in the morning and evening. We are on wells so he can't go over board on the water. I know my neighbor is using K31 for seed. I don't know what my lawn customer's landscaper is using. I've never had that kind of success seeding, Joe.

I'm 3 miles south of Olney off Georgia Ave. I just got back from shopping at the Harris Teeter grocery store that's in Olney. I bet we crossed each other's path today. If I knew you were going I would have met you.
The seeding I did on my lawn I mixed with that leaf grow stuff at Rels and it still didn't do anything. I will get some sod at Rels on Layhill Road this fall and just sod it.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Further north makes them kind of more extreme. Longer in summer, and shorter in winter.

But it also matters where you're located east-west in your time zone. Even at the same north-south location, the sun sets earlier if you're at the eastern edge of the time zone, vs at the western edge of it.

3,168 Posts
I have grass growing well where my big stump was. I have watered up to 3 times a day in the heat.

I hauled the trailer around and finished picking up storm debris along with trimmings from some shrubs.

This is the second load of this size. My lawn was a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had every tree removed in the front yard. I got tired picking up twigs. I'm 66 and my back hurts a lot. The trees in the backyard I'll have to deal with. Over the years, I probably removed 20 large trees.

·
Registered
175 Posts
New buttons ordered, along with a PTO decal and a pair of repro keys...I mean since I’m already paying shipping. Nice to see that HAPCO is finally reproducing the Model 36 snowblower decals, but that project is down the line a bit since I need/want to get my 60 project finished or at least functional.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm 3 miles south of Olney off Georgia Ave. I just got back from shopping at the Harris Teeter grocery store that's in Olney. I bet we crossed each other's path today. If I knew you were going I would have met you.
The seeding I did on my lawn I mixed with that leaf grow stuff at Rels and it still didn't do anything. I will get some sod at Rels on Layhill Road this fall and just sod it.
Do you know what “Rels” stands for? Hint, the R is Robert. I used to hang out at his brothers gas station, the Shell, in Cloverly. My best friend’s mom lives on Norbeck and his grandparents used to live in the apartment over Red Door Country Store. I bet we know some of the same people. Dr Van OggTrop lived a couple streets over from you. Really nice folks.

·
Premium Member
9,614 Posts
Do you know what “Rels” stands for? Hint, the R is Robert. I used to hang out at his brothers gas station, the Shell, in Cloverly. My best friend’s mom lives on Norbeck and his grandparents used to live in the apartment over Red Door Country Store. I bet we know some of the same people. Dr Van OggTrop lived a couple streets over from you. Really nice folks.
OK, this has been charming but I'm calling BS on the name "Dr. Van Ogg Trop!" Sounds like a Marvel super-villain's alter ego.

·
Registered
731 Posts
OK, this has been charming but I'm calling BS on the name "Dr. Van Ogg Trop!" Sounds like a Marvel super-villain's alter ego.
He was an old Dr we did tree work for. I may have spelled his name wrong, but they were super people. He and his wife would bring you in for lunch, no matter how dirty you were. They were Dutch descendents. His wife gave me an 1800’s Dutch coin, about the size of a Silver Dollar. I’m sure they both passed before the computer age, but I’m going to do a search to see what I can find.

11461 - 11480 of 12335 Posts