My Tractor Forum banner

11421 - 11440 of 11448 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kohler Kseries coils work just the same as the Tec coils. I bought a genuine Kohler coil off Amazon for $68 this spring...or last fall. Can’t remember.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Sorry. Tecumseh HH100 is the engine. Points system.
I believe that you can replace the system with an electronic ignition and never look back. Do a search, I think you want to use parts for a Chevy Nova.

Haven't done this myself (don't own anything that old), but have come across lots of posts here at MTF describing this.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe that you can replace the system with an electronic ignition and never look back. Do a search, I think you want to use parts for a Chevy Nova.

Haven't done this myself (don't own anything that old), but have come across lots of posts here at MTF describing this.

Hope this helps.

Mike
I've used the Nova II module to eliminate points on singe cylinder engines. When I started doing it the Nova II modules were $12 at my small engine shop. I think they are up to $16. It's pretty easy to do. If the points are under the fly wheel it's best to run the module out from under it. Follow the plug wire out. If you can mount it on the outside of the engine it's better. The cooler the better.

I have used the Nova to replace the JD module on my Kawasaki single also.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Thanks, that's what I was referring to. Does that fix the problem he's having (losing spark when hot), or does he also need a coil?

Mike

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
How does the Nova II module work? It says it replaces the points?

I use the kirk engines points saver. A five minute installation, and adjustment, and never have to worry about points again.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I wish I knew how it worked :) When I bought my first snowblower, about 20 years ago (a Simplicity from the 70s, I think), it had no spark. But the seller included a Nova electronic ignition kit.

I just blindly followed their directions, and magically it worked :) I was amazed and thrilled.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’ve mostly used the Nova on chainsaws, but it will work on any single cylinder. I'm trying to place a Kohler in mind. The external points box is basically like the points box under the flywheel. I take the points out, but leave the box in place. There is a terminal on the box that the coil wire goes to. I put both the module positive and the coil wire on it. The kill switch wire is on that screw already. The ground goes to the block. That’s it. The basic instructions with the module work. With a keyed ignition I guess you have to find which wire grounds the system. With external points I would imagine you have to take the push rod out and maybe plug the hole. I’ll see if I can find a good you tube and post the link.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just watched Tarly do a Nova II conversion on a briggs. Video is 19 minutes and the actual install was about 5-6 minutes. It’s an external points set, but you have to pull the flywheel and change the timing a bit. Still easy Peary.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Cut the grass since it was supposed to rain tomorrow. Unfortunately cutting it makes the bare patches more obvious, so will have to run out for topsoil tomorrow.

The tow-behind seeder/spreader I ordered at the start of the COVID thing finally arrived but I didn't think I had time to assemble and use it before the rain arrived. Spent a bit of time with the Kiddie Spreader (Scott EdgeGuard Mini) and tossed it into the woods (after emptying it)... I'm 6'5 so the handle is way too short, and if you put enough seed in it for more than a minute of bare-ground seeing it tips over if you look at it sideways. I did retrieve it later but at the time it was pushing my buttons pretty hard.

Ended up driving the GT235 with a big bag of seed in my lap, throwing handfuls of seed to the sides and the back. Don't think the coverage was as even as the mini spreader but the back pain was much reduced and I could cover 10-12 feet in a single pass.

Tomorrow is oil/filter change, and if the rain lets up I should really change the transaxle fluid again. It's been a few years and I was working it pretty hard dragging the driveway last year. The best I could come up with for a zero-risk way of getting the tractor up enough to access the drain bolts and place a drain pan was to run it up on a couple of short stacks of 2x12... really should try to find a good tractor/mower lift that can raise them up a couple of feet. Everything I have found so far only raises one end of the tractor at a time and I doubt that would work well for draining transaxle fluid.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I made a little box blade. It started as a Craftsman plow and I added some end plates and a cross bar to mount it to the 3 pt. I tried it out just before we finally got some rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,775 Posts
I'm usually on a 10-day cycle for mowing in August, and my lawn could certainly have waited another couple days, but I rolled out today on 8 days because the Weather Guessers are forecasting 6-9" of rain in the next 36 hours from the storm they cannot pronounce:

10 years and 716.6 hours in, and it still hums contentedly across the acres. I keep a protective patina of dust on it this time of year. Needles all reading 5x5

2,749 Posts
I wouldn't cut it now because after the storm you'll have to cut it again and clean the yard.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll play 716 for the pick 3 and 7166 for the pick 4 in today's lottery. Watch 728 come out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, past three days I haven't sat on a JD, but I was thinking about it with every drop of sweat. I still have a few stones to place, and as Jere mentioned, the weather guessers are calling for major wetness.So I got in a piece of 3" flexible drain pipe around the top down to the patio, so the rain wont wash dirt and mulch in the pond. Took the old pond apart Friday, and dug about 3 yards more dirt out, and removed the top ten feet of water fall. Saturday we put the old liners in for leak protection, and then got the new liner, about twice as big in. Started filling it so the water would push some of the wrinkles out of the liner. On the bottom I built a Gold Fish Habit Trail. They can go into the rock wall in at least ten places, and the whole back is hollow, so they can come out anywhere. The Pond Supply place Is closed Sunday and Monday so we couldn't get the tubing to run the spitting frog and the water fall. Get that in and we will be done, Joe.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful. Nice work!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful. Nice work!
Thanks, I actually enjoyed it a lot. Every one has talents, and one of mine is I can look at a straight line and duplicate it. I cut two shelves around the pond, one for the potted plants to set on, and one to build the stone wall on. I was showing off and put a 4' level on one shelf, I had to put a quarter under one end to make the bubble sit perfect. I like doing that, it's something I do well, and am proud of. My wife kept yelling at my nephew to help me. Every place he tried to cut the shelf in, was sloped down hill, away from the wall, and made stacking the stone harder. Some times good intent makes more work in the long run. Turned out my nephew had a very good eye at stacking the stone once I showed him how to make it slope back into the wall. So, he did a bunch of the stone work. My son, who has arms bigger than my legs, wound up carrying most of the stone. I could just point in the general direction and he knew exactly which stone I wanted. If every one was just left to do what they do best, things went well. Unfortunately for me, cutting all those straight lines, meant I did most of the shovel work, Joe

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wish I knew how it worked :) When I bought my first snowblower, about 20 years ago (a Simplicity from the 70s, I think), it had no spark. But the seller included a Nova electronic ignition kit.

I just blindly followed their directions, and magically it worked :) I was amazed and thrilled.
I was deleting pics and found these. maybe you can see how the Nova works.
This is a set of points under the flywheel. I try to find a place out side where it runs a bit cooler. The screw hole next to the plastic loop the wire is running in is where I'll put the module.

The positive wire on the module goes to the screw on the points box. The points are still there.

Sorry both wires are black, but if you look close you can see the plus and minus on the module. The minus wire goes back to the kill switch. The positive goes to the points box.

I just had a pic of the points box with the points removed, the wires hooked up to the same terminal the points wire were on, and the top of the points box back on. Then I deleted it. But, that's all it is.

11421 - 11440 of 11448 Posts