My Tractor Forum banner

11281 - 11297 of 11297 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, for those following the auction, it's starting to jump. I came in at 1:43 and the GT 275 was at $41. Just checked and it's over $400. The landscape trailer is at $945. That's almost new price for one that size. Guess I can go to work tomorrow. No road trip to pick up a new old tractor.
Just watched the start of the auction and the 4720 went for $21K. Some of the pedal tractors went for more then the GT's and the LT's. Trailer hasn't been sold yet but is at $970.

·
Super Moderator
29,557 Posts
I've only been to two auctions and it always seemed to me that very few great deals were ever had at them. I've bid on a few items and pretty sure that there was a schiller in the crowd pushing the prices up past a certain point for all the JD stuff. That point was always above what I was willing to pay for something that you don't know the condition of.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My GT275 started doing the run well until hot and die out routine. From looking around it seemed like a vapor lock issue. Would let it sit for 30-45 minutes and it would start up again. Then it would die. It would start with the choke on though. Could also see air bubbles in the filter when hot like it was sucking in air. Decided to replace all the lines with a new filter. The line that actually goes into the tank was also not seated well. Cleaned and drained tank as well. Put it all back together and seems to be better already. Smoother idle at low idle and no hiccups. True test will be when I mow tomorrow. There were noticeable cracks in main line as well. Fuel filter was pretty bad also

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
Just watched the start of the auction and the 4720 went for $21K. Some of the pedal tractors went for more then the GT's and the LT's. Trailer hasn't been sold yet but is at $970.
Up-date. Trailer went for $1450. Allmost as much as a new one.
I looked at the auction site again before checking here. The final loader price is probably a good value, but still too high for me. The trailer price is bonkers.

Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
I rented a stump grinder this weekend. Did 2 big ones, one medium and 3 small. Boy does that thing make a mess.

Probably a 12-15 buckets full of crap in a pile down back. Not exactly sure what I’m going to do with it. The primary motivation was the big stump on my front lawn from the maple the town took down for me. I had to look at it every time I look out the window in front of the kitchen sink.

Now I need to get some loam and seed the spot left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a nice small rental machine. I like your JD better. We had two Vermeer stump grinders. The first was back in the 70's and it was used then. I forget if it had 32 teeth, or 32 per side. Anyway, it had a Wisconsin over head valve 4 cylinder at 60 HP. But, it literally beat our F250's to death. The only thing that would pull it well was our 72 C30 with a 12' stake body. That made it so big we could only get it in back yards. It would take a stump out like the one with your machine, 18' deep, in 10-15 minutes. Then we got a small 630A. It was not self propelled, so I welded a receiver hitch on my 265 and could pull it all over yards. Nice little machine, but much slower. Sorry for squeezing into your thread. We were a commercial business. I just wish I had a JD like yours back then. I could put it on the back of the C30, tow the 630a to the job. If I had to take the grindings away, there was plenty room on the 12' bed. Love your JD, Joe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've only been to two auctions and it always seemed to me that very few great deals were ever had at them. I've bid on a few items and pretty sure that there was a schiller in the crowd pushing the prices up past a certain point for all the JD stuff. That point was always above what I was willing to pay for something that you don't know the condition of.
Since I retired, my favorite pass time is auctions. I go to one at the local fair grounds every Tuesday. They have a big Spring and Fall sale. It has 3 auctioneers going all day. Starts at 10, and goes till dark. I think it's the third week of March, and the third week of October.There are some real deals to be had. I bought a Homelite 7-29 with a 52" bar and helper handle. It's a 129CC logging saw. I paid $60 for it and posted it on a chainsaw site. Not long after, a collector in Australia, offered me $800 US plus shipping. It now lives in Australia. To me, auctions are great entertainment. I might tell you of a saw I got for $15 and sold it for several hundred. What I didn't tell you was I spent 10-12 hours at the sale. I was at one in PA last fall where I bought a big, very rare, 1968 Poulan Super 68 with a 31" bar for $40. It didn't have a chain on it, and it pulls a "half inch" chain. They quit making it about 30 years ago. I got lucky and found a guy with 2, hundred foot rolls, and he cut me a chain. It runs great. I didn't take my trailer because the sale was so far away. Should have taken the trailer. There was a Kubota GT they couldn't get an opening bid on. Finally some one bid $100, and it sold for $120. It started, no smoke, and ran around. Only thing bad was all four lights were busted out. What I have found is, sales that are advertised as having a lot of tractors, will bring every tractor guy around, and bring high prices. Local estate sales won't bring every tractor guy within 150 miles, and might yield some good deals This covid crap is driving all auctions crazy. People are going crazy stuck at home. The big spring and fall sales I go to, tractors with condition bring good money. But, you often find tractors in the 210,12,14 series with nasty seats and gray from sitting under a tree, that start and run fine, sell for $50 bucks. Especially if they are on flat tires. I like auctions.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
I rented a stump grinder this weekend. Did 2 big ones, one medium and 3 small. Boy does that thing make a mess.

Probably a 12-15 buckets full of crap in a pile down back. Not exactly sure what I’m going to do with it. The primary motivation was the big stump on my front lawn from the maple the town took down for me. I had to look at it every time I look out the window in front of the kitchen sink.

Now I need to get some loam and seed the spot left.

Isn't it like 300 degrees at your house today? The only time I went outside was to jump in the pool while my dogs completed their important business. It was so hot they gave up on fetch after 3 throws.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, there was another auction about the same distance away in PA today. Didn’t see the results, but they had what looked like a pretty complete Cub Cadet 100, round fenders. Found under tree condition. Then found one coming up that I expect to be a high dollar JD. I thought it was a 100% restoration of a 316. Then read, all original, with 56 hours. Looks brand spanking new.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interestingly enough I was able to get it running and keep it running to do the one acre yard in 85 degree weather by removing the hood. Didn’t miss a beat. I’ll have to keep diagnosing. With the covid stuff it would be a real pain to get it to the dealership in MA so really trying to avoid that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Steve, it was brutal today. Self medicating now.

JDVT, could it be ignition? Electronics don’t like being too hot.

2,654 Posts
Just in case you missed it:

Looks like that Ferris IS 3100Z 72" Deck Zero Turn Mower sold for only $6,000.
The John Deere Z970R Zero Turn Mower sold for $7,200.
Drill Press sold for $140.
Stihl MS 270 C Chainsaw sold for $150.
Stihl 044 Chainsaw sold for $240.
Yard Machine 3 HP Edger sold for $23.
6 John Deere Tractor Weights sold for $133.
That ceiling mounted Central Machinery Winch sold for $110.
Craftsman 10 Inch Table Saw sold for $85.
Craftsman 12 inch Belt Bandsaw and Sander sold for $100.
Craftsman Dust Bagger machine sold for $80.
Craftsman Jointer 6 Inch sold for $105.
Craftsman 6 x 48 Inch 9 Inch Belt Sander sold for $160.
Makita Mitre Saw sold for $40.
Craftsman Sander sold for $130.
Craftsman Router Table sold for $90.
Craftsman 9 inch Band Saw sold for $110.
Sun Cabinet /Craftsman Contractor Series Cut off Saw sold for $40.
5 Aluminum Extension Ladders sold for $120.
Yard Machine Tiller sold for $70.
That auction ad that was framed and dated March 1st,1849 where as the auction had mention about 6 slaves being auctioned sold for $70.

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
Looks like the best deal was the set of JD suitcase weights!

Mike

2,654 Posts
Yes or that walk behind edger or tiller. But that's what happens at those auctions. Everything gets bid up to where as there's no deal. Even the sockets and wrenches were sold near retail price.

11281 - 11297 of 11297 Posts