My Tractor Forum banner

11181 - 11200 of 11271 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
We have a friend that is a widowed farmer. She’s close to 70 and mowes her two acres around the stone farm house with an old 214. Not long after her husband passed she asked me to mow around her pond and the sides of her driveway, she was having family over and the grand kids wanted to fish. She’s also a flight attendant and had a couple international flights coming up. Her drive is over half a mile long. I was using the 265 then, put one rear wheel on the edge of the drive strattled the little six inch drainage ditch, and just zoomed down both sides easy peasy. Fast forward several years and she asked if I could mow the pond and drive again? That was last year. I took the 52” walk behind and planned on just zooming down the drive again. I got there and she had the drive resurfaced and I was like, great, this is going to go fast. Well the grass was like hay and I couldn’t see how deep the ditch was, but it was perfect for mowing the last time. I got started and my whole machine dropped into a three foot ditch. Turned out the paver cut new drainage ditches. Last week she threw the drive belt on the 214 and asked if I could do every thing for her. I said sure but I couldn’t do the ditches, but would get any mowable areas. Now I’m on the X540. Was trimming along a foot or two into the grass fine. There’s a little quarter acre meadow that looks nice when mowed, about half way down the drive. I tried blowing the grass away from the drive and it was too deep and thick to discharge. Turned around and blew the grass across the drive, but the mower would still clog making half a pass. Forget this, took the JD home and got the WB, it was mowing and discharging OK, but the deck seems to float easier than the JD. Went over one real thick patch and the deck lifted up enough to throw the deck belt. So, what I did was try and tear up $15,000 of machinery for a fifty dollar job mowing her drive. I’m going to have a real short talk with my friend. She is going to have to mow the pond and drive once a month or I can’t do it. On top of that, she leases the farm out to a cattle operation. When they come in to feed the cattle, if they see a big rock fell off the bank onto the drive, they do the nice thing and throw it in the weeds. Guess who took out at least one blade. I haven’t even looked at that yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Today I replaced the PTO oil seal and Transmission belt on my JD155C

Buckled everything back up and saw two of these on the floor.
I have no idea what they are or where I pulled them off? Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Today I replaced the PTO oil seal and Transmission belt on my JD155C

Buckled everything back up and saw two of these on the floor.
I have no idea what they are or where I pulled them off? Anyone?

Thanks!

View attachment 2464251
Looks like the parts to lift the mower deck linkage on the tractor. Looks similar to the parts on my 445 & 1026R, not exact, similar.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
We have a friend that is a widowed farmer. She’s close to 70 and mowes her two acres around the stone farm house with an old 214. Not long after her husband passed she asked me to mow around her pond and the sides of her driveway, she was having family over and the grand kids wanted to fish. She’s also a flight attendant and had a couple international flights coming up. Her drive is over half a mile long. I was using the 265 then, put one rear wheel on the edge of the drive strattled the little six inch drainage ditch, and just zoomed down both sides easy peasy. Fast forward several years and she asked if I could mow the pond and drive again? That was last year. I took the 52” walk behind and planned on just zooming down the drive again. I got there and she had the drive resurfaced and I was like, great, this is going to go fast. Well the grass was like hay and I couldn’t see how deep the ditch was, but it was perfect for mowing the last time. I got started and my whole machine dropped into a three foot ditch. Turned out the paver cut new drainage ditches. Last week she threw the drive belt on the 214 and asked if I could do every thing for her. I said sure but I couldn’t do the ditches, but would get any mowable areas. Now I’m on the X540. Was trimming along a foot or two into the grass fine. There’s a little quarter acre meadow that looks nice when mowed, about half way down the drive. I tried blowing the grass away from the drive and it was too deep and thick to discharge. Turned around and blew the grass across the drive, but the mower would still clog making half a pass. Forget this, took the JD home and got the WB, it was mowing and discharging OK, but the deck seems to float easier than the JD. Went over one real thick patch and the deck lifted up enough to throw the deck belt. So, what I did was try and tear up $15,000 of machinery for a fifty dollar job mowing her drive. I’m going to have a real short talk with my friend. She is going to have to mow the pond and drive once a month or I can’t do it. On top of that, she leases the farm out to a cattle operation. When they come in to feed the cattle, if they see a big rock fell off the bank onto the drive, they do the nice thing and throw it in the weeds. Guess who took out at least one blade. I haven’t even looked at that yet.

Nice guys finish, well, you know the rest of the story!

I know the feeling, what's it going to cost me to help you out.

CCMoe

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts
Headed out after it cools off to mow the yard with the 318 before we take off for the mountains this weekend.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yesterday while mowing the roadside in front of the house the blades quit turning on the GT235. The LX176 was already in the garage for repair so I finished the road with the LT160. I finished up the LX176 this morning so I got the GT235 in the garage and removed the deck. I knew the primary belt had lost tension but I figured it was a spring or the belt had come off an idler. What I found was an arm made out of 3/16 metal snapped in two. I'll look that part up and see if they sell it by the Troy ounce. Anyone else ever broke one of these?
Cannon

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I called the nearest Deere dealer this morning, They didn't have it (M138190). I ordered one from Amazon that should be here next week. $18.00 plus tax. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I considered trying to weld it but I don't know what 1000 hours of metal fatigue might have done to it.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
8,537 Posts
Is that an idler arm? I wonder what caused that to let go?

For that price, worth replacing.

Mike

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It rotates the stack pulley holding pressure on the primary belt. As far as why it broke I can only assume years of vibration under stress weakened the metal. I've heard of stress over time breaking down metal but I don't really understand it.
Cannon

·
Registered
74 Posts
I received the Oregon Gator G6 blades a week ago but, with my schedule, today was the first day I had time to swap the blades out.
Yes, I PAID the tax (for the Deck Dolly)! It was expensive, but for me? WORTH it!

It's been two weeks since I last mowed, again, time constraints. The pictured area grows FAST! I have no windrows, I'm HAPPY!

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts
I got the front yard mowed last evening. Now to get the back 40 mowed this evening.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mowed 3 lawns, hit a big blue rock. One of my lawns is next to old farm land. It used to be plowed and planted in crops. Run off was never a problem. The farmers died, kids subdivided and sold. Now there are several 5-10 acre front yards that look look golf courses. The run off got so bad my customer had to put a berm, it was flooding her basement. Now the water gets diverted to the street and undermined her drive entrance, and started to under mine the road. County came out and did a good job fixing her drive, but where the water crosses under the road, they built a man made stream lined with giant blue stone. Chunks the size of cantaloupes. When we get a rain the water washes down so hard it just picks those stones up and drops them 50 yards down the road. Since it's always wet, the grass grows fast. Second time this year it washed a big chunk into the edge of her lawn, and I hit it. Just love changing blades.

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts
It's too dang hot to be out there! I'll wait until it's cooler to mow the back yard. :ROFLMAO:

11181 - 11200 of 11271 Posts