My Tractor Forum banner

10121 - 10140 of 10243 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
MIS, I’m headed to Novi for the week tomorrow. Hope it’s clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be clear. From what I'm seeing, nothing really in the forecast in the upcoming days.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Forest, do you clear that whole path to your treehouse and shed out back? Will the 454 fit over the bridge?

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Turbo, all you need is a cab. It will change your outlook immeasurably.

JDVT, what kind of cab (OEM) is that?

Forrest, I agree, if you must use a walk-behind, nothing beats a tracked unit!

Mike

·
Registered
869 Posts
Forest, do you clear that whole path to your treehouse and shed out back? Will the 454 fit over the bridge?

The 455 will fit over the bridge fine, but I use the tracked yardman for that path. That’s why I bought a tracked unit because I can leave it up and inch or so and avoid most of the rocks on the path. I only go as far as the treehouse, not that we use it much in the winter, but we keep the heat on low so I like to check it once a week.

How tall are your doors to your shed? The cab is just over 6’ and not real excessively tall. It must be nice being able to finally get it all in there and get your garage back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Snow Chute Rotation Upgrade.
Completed in an afternoon just before a snowfall. Blowing snow over the shoulder really comes in handy. 180° to 270° fotation baby!!!
20200111_110532.jpg
20200111_132323.jpg
20200111_134241.jpg
20200111_130049.jpg
20200111_194201.jpg
20200103_141842.jpg

2,234 Posts
For the first time since I've owned her the X748 wouldn't start this morning. Just too cold. It was supposed to bottom out at about 20*, we bottomed out at 11*F. Sometimes I amaze myself with how smart I am. When I got my X585, one of the selling points was that I was worried about this very issue, so I wanted the gas engine instead of another diesel. The X585 with plow barely cranked over, but she did, and I used my new CTA blade for it's first real test and it was great. After an hour of pushing snow around with the X585 it was time to try the X748 again. At 30* she had warmed up enough to crank over and stay running to complete the job. I also added some Power Service to the fuel tank and fuel can. By the way, how can a 5" fluffy snow lead to 3' snow banks? Now I have a clear understanding of the big advantage that blowing the snow into the woods provides.

It seems to me they make an engine block heater that's magnetic you can use on transmissions, oil pans, and diesel engines. Maybe look into them.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Always a good time wrestling with loaded tires getting them on the tractor.. :ROFLMAO:
I use a floor jack to raise/lower the tractor to match the lug holes in the wheels with the tire resting on the ground.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Used all the toys...err tools to clean up the 4-5”s of snow.. 445 to snow blow, the X to scrape and the yardman to take care of the dog paths and treehouse. I really love that little YM, it’s a tank and the fact that it’s green and yellow are just the icing.. lol./QUOTE]
Now all you need is a cab for the YM. I love mine (my style cab but not my machine).

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
I don’t think a cab will fit in my shed. Need that big garage first.
If the issue is width, can't help you there. The cabs do add width. If it is height, I mounted the vertical tubes to the horizontal mounting frame with clevis pins and hitch pins (instead of the provided screws and nuts) so the cab part is easily removable to fit under my garage door. I also added supports from the rear of the horizontal frame to the handle bars because the 2-point mounting to the vertical part of the handle bars was too flimsy.

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
JDVT, what kind of cab (OEM) is that?
Mike, that is a Femco cab. I was lucky enough to get one with my X585. I don't believe they make them for the Deere GTs anymore but boy is it well made. Forrest has one too (of course).

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
It seems to me they make an engine block heater that's magnetic you can use on transmissions, oil pans, and diesel engines. Maybe look into them.

That's a great idea except that there is no power to the shed, and even if there was we have some of the highest electric rates in the country. I'm guessing that when I treated the fuel with Power Service back in the fall being cautious I didn't add enough. What is the downside to overdoing it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the first time since I've owned her the X748 wouldn't start this morning. Just too cold. It was supposed to bottom out at about 20*, we bottomed out at 11*F.
Is this normal to struggle to start at 11 degrees? I haven't tried to start my X748 any colder than 15 degrees since I've had it, but there was no issue at that temp. I store it in an enclosed trailer, but I'm assuming I'm going to need it to start at much colder temps than that. If it's anything like last year, I was plowing snow in below zero temps frequently with my 445.

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
Is this normal to struggle to start at 11 degrees? I haven't tried to start my X748 any colder than 15 degrees since I've had it, but there was no issue at that temp. I store it in an enclosed trailer, but I'm assuming I'm going to need it to start at much colder temps than that. If it's anything like last year, I was plowing snow in below zero temps frequently with my 445.
I'm hoping I just hadn't treated the fuel properly. It's just physics that the fuel will gel if not treated properly. As I said, the X748 had never failed me before. I have had a couple of close calls, but she always started. When really cold she usually cranks over right away (I have taken to charging the glo plugs twice before cranking), the engine shudders for about 15-20 seconds then smooths out. I use diesel treatment sparingly because I have read too much is bad for the fuel system, anyone know if that's true? I think the bottle recommends 2 oz for 5 gallons, that doesn't seem like much.

·
Registered
264 Posts

It’s hard to see from this picture but the loader is behind the tractor facing in. It all just barely fits but now I have my garage spot back to park my car.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Mike, that is a Femco cab. I was lucky enough to get one with my X585. I don't believe they make them for the Deere GTs anymore but boy is it well made. Forrest has one too (of course).
Thanks, looks nice and wide.

Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
I suspect most of the hard cabs would interfere with the loader. Maybe I should try one of those soft cabs for a walk behind and just modify.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,739 Posts
Did some snowblowing with Little yesterday morning.... We got 3-6" of snow Friday night/Saturday morning, didn't get around to getting out to clear it til yesterday. -28 Celcius is a bit nippy without a cab, but at least there was no wind. Took some pity on the poor bunnies that try to run through the windrow of snow between our driveway and the neighbours'

Of course, its also helpful for the post-person too...

(I don't get to do the neighbours' driveway with Little, they've got the rubber coating on it and don't want me accidentally ripping it up with the chains or the blower edge)

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
I suspect most of the hard cabs would interfere with the loader. Maybe I should try one of those soft cabs for a walk behind and just modify.
Anything would be better than nothing, but I'm sure you can modify a full size cab to work around the loader frame.

Mike

·
Registered
869 Posts

The 4x5 uses the same spot to mount the cab and the loader. I don’t remember how you fabricated the mount for your loader, but I do know you have the skills to make something work. Even when using the plow a soft cab to keep the snow off helps. I’ve never bothered with heat, just being out of the wind and snow is a game changer.

10121 - 10140 of 10243 Posts