My Tractor Forum banner

10101 - 10120 of 10562 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

Last weekend I took advantage of the warm weather and hung some doors that I repurposed from the house onto my shed. I switched them to swing outward’s to gain some valuable space in the shed for the tractor. I also added a solar motion flood light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts

Last weekend I took advantage of the warm weather and hung some doors that I repurposed from the house onto my shed. I switched them to swing outward’s to gain some valuable space in the shed for the tractor. I also added a solar motion flood light

The doors look great, except your wife is going to now commandeer your fancy storage space as a she shed. You (well, she) will love the solar light as well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Got the rear R4’s on the x748 loaded with rimguard last week. 8 gallons each side, each tire weighs in at 155#s so a good 310#s of ballast down low should help. Couldn’t complain about the price.. just $103.00. Always a good time wrestling with loaded tires getting them on the tractor.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,665 Posts
Patiently waiting on my new deck (finished Wednesday) for the various "wintery mix" chapters to sort out. Snow seemed to taper at around 3", now sleet on top of that. Prediction for freezing rain later tonight when the warm upper air pushes in. I like to let the sleet and freezing rain sit on top of the snow before I plow, rather than plowing the snow and then letting the sleet and freezing rain knit to the asphalt of my driveway. I suspect every region has their own winter weather strategies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is absolutely no concern about my wife going anywhere near the shed. It had the same doors before, but they were in really bad shape and opened in. I was amazed how many little details I had to change to make them swing out instead of in. I gained 3 feet of useful parking space by making the doors swing out. I think I will be able to store the loader in there with the tractor, possibly even with the blower on. Since I began the loader build I haven’t parked my car in my garage spot. That is about to change.

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
Always a good time wrestling with loaded tires getting them on the tractor.. :ROFLMAO:
Mounting the rears on my old 214 was the worst. They came to me full of Calcium Chloride, and the hubs had threaded holes to insert bolts rather than lugs. You try balancing a loaded tractor tire on your foot while you try and line up the bolt with the wheel and the threaded hole in the lug to get the first bolt on with only one pair of hands.

·
close enuff works for me
2,990 Posts
On my deere 210 ,I found a 4 inch long bolt that was the same threads as the lug bolts, cut the head off from it,and threaded it into one of the lug holes and it helped guide the rim into place. After putting 4 lug bolt in ,I removed the headless bolt .

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,594 Posts
I got a couple of hours seat time on the 430 with blade to clear a few drives and mailboxes of 5" of wet heavy snow.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
Patiently waiting on my new deck (finished Wednesday) for the various "wintery mix" chapters to sort out. Snow seemed to taper at around 3", now sleet on top of that. Prediction for freezing rain later tonight when the warm upper air pushes in. I like to let the sleet and freezing rain sit on top of the snow before I plow, rather than plowing the snow and then letting the sleet and freezing rain knit to the asphalt of my driveway. I suspect every region has their own winter weather strategies.

View attachment 2444149
Awesome pic, Jere. I'm expecting almost the exact same mess you got. I too wait for it to be over before cleaning up, especially if it's under a foot.

Took this pic at around 6 PM, it had been snowing for about 90 minutes at that point, only had half an inch by then.

Mike
20200118_180744.jpg

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,665 Posts
My best laid plan didn't work out so well. The freezing rain and sleet combined with the snow and made a frozen mess. I tackled it early this morning but mostly just scraped about a year of life off my rubber plow edge. Guess I'll drive over it to church this morning, and hope the sun will soften it this afternoon:

·
Registered
294 Posts

I tried the 47 blower for the first time today. We only got 3-4” This is the first time I have ever felt the 425 is underpowered. I would really like a 455 to run this. To be honest, I’m not sure if I will keep it. I like using the plow better. I hate that snowblower face full of snow.

2,281 Posts
My best laid plan didn't work out so well. The freezing rain and sleet combined with the snow and made a frozen mess. I tackled it early this morning but mostly just scraped about a year of life off my rubber plow edge. Guess I'll drive over it to church this morning, and hope the sun will soften it this afternoon:

View attachment 2444205
I noticed the paw prints of your supervisor was out checking your work.

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts
Cleared about 3 " of semi frozen snow from the drive and sidewalk with the 322 and blade. Had I not gotten out when I did, it would have been a bit more solid and almost impossible to remove.

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
For the first time since I've owned her the X748 wouldn't start this morning. Just too cold. It was supposed to bottom out at about 20*, we bottomed out at 11*F. Sometimes I amaze myself with how smart I am. When I got my X585, one of the selling points was that I was worried about this very issue, so I wanted the gas engine instead of another diesel. The X585 with plow barely cranked over, but she did, and I used my new CTA blade for it's first real test and it was great. After an hour of pushing snow around with the X585 it was time to try the X748 again. At 30* she had warmed up enough to crank over and stay running to complete the job. I also added some Power Service to the fuel tank and fuel can. By the way, how can a 5" fluffy snow lead to 3' snow banks? Now I have a clear understanding of the big advantage that blowing the snow into the woods provides.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Used all the toys...err tools to clean up the 4-5”s of snow.. 445 to snow blow, the X to scrape and the yardman to take care of the dog paths and treehouse. I really love that little YM, it’s a tank and the fact that it’s green and yellow are just the icing.. lol.

·
Registered
892 Posts

I tried the 47 blower for the first time today. We only got 3-4” This is the first time I have ever felt the 425 is underpowered. I would really like a 455 to run this. To be honest, I’m not sure if I will keep it. I like using the plow better. I hate that snowblower face full of snow.

Theres no doubt that snow blowing without a cab can be called a form of tourture. Especially when it’s light stuff like today. It looks like it did a decent job on the drive, at least. The 425 is a heck of a GT, but a a 455 definitely handles the big blowers easier. FYI.. I’m thinking of scratching an itch this for an X595 summer if all works out.. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
What did I do today? Plowed 7 inches of wet heavy snow with the X500, 48" blade and HD tires, no chains. Did well but on the 90' straight away, had to do a herring bone plow pattern. I do turning pushes to one side then the other. Just too heavy to push all straight like I normally can.

Took about an hour and a half, during which time, the snow turned to drizzle...oh joy! Could feel the snow getting heavier by the minute, so happy I got on it just before the snow quit.

Now, supposed to continue with rain/drizzle until night, then gets cold with flurries tomorrow. All the piles I made, some 3 feet high, and really deep, will all be be glacial hard by morning. That's why I over push the edge of the road by a couple feet. Leaves some room for another push or two if it snows again.

This is the first plowable snow since November in SE Mich.

Now some hot coffee and relax until the power goes off due to ice, and I have to pull the generator out.

Yeeee Haaa!!
I'm in SW MI and was worried about this. So woke up early Saturday morning and got to it before it was water-logged. 5" blown out and cleared my cement part and 1/4 mile long driveway. Unfortunately, no pics. But that 455 and 47" blower really threw that wet snow. Hit the cement part with the plow

Today, blew out another 5" of fluff. I DID get pics this time.

IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

10101 - 10120 of 10562 Posts