Registered
500 Posts
Do you use salt with the sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
3,131 Posts
I would think sand is the best or safest stuff to use. Once you put it down, leave it down until spring. It may give you traction with the tractor as well as walking on it. There is a drawback though. People track it in their cars and your house but at least they won't slip and fall. Better than those chemicals all the shopping centers use. Sand is more environmental friendly.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I prefer to use just sand as I have two dogs that run up and down the driveway. I will use a pet friendly ice melt if theres a build up. Luckily I don't need to use it regularly as I always try to scrape it down as quickly as possible, but sometimes an ice storm comes thru and theres no option. Really for the once or twice I need to I can just use a bucket and a cup to spread it, but the tractor geek in me wants to be able to do it while driving one...LOL!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I do not use any salt.
I wish that along with the liquid chloride they use on the roads wouldn't be used. Just sand it. Maybe salt just the intersections for stopping purposes. It would be so much easier on everything.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Cobbled together a quick and cheap drawbar for my new 3 point. $20 for an old hitch off a Tacoma. She ain't purdy but she'll do. Vertical center post is for stacking rotors for weight when needed.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Merc, how do you keep the hitch from rotating while stacking the rotors? I looks like you have to have the top link off to add to the pile.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Merc, how do you keep the hitch from rotating while stacking the rotors? I looks like you have to have the top link off to add to the pile.

Yes. The ball mount touches the floor and keeps it from rotating back too far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finished wiring custom interior overhead panel and added a booster heater for more cabin heat.
...because YES ...I'm a big baby and I don't like to be cold if I don't have to.

Now I am snow blowing comfortably in tee shirt weather temps inside the cab.

Next Item on the To Do list: Snow Chute Pully Doubling Rotation Mod...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a JD X300 with the famed K46 Tuff Torq transaxle. It's been losing power after running a bit and won't pull a hill with the snow blower on it. So I took out the K46 and will put a K66 in it, plus larger tires. Just now sizing up what I need for mounting plates, reverse controls, etc. to make it work. Here it is swinging from my garage ceiling, which I highly recommend by the way. Easy access.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,100 Posts
You probably just blew it for snow for the rest of US. I want pics of you in a tee shirt/shorts/flip flops snow blowing!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
You probably just blew it for snow for the rest of US. I want pics of you in a tee shirt/shorts/flip flops snow blowing!!!
Hawaiian shirt and shades baby !!! ...Lei and Mai-Tai are optional.

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
I used my X585 and new CTA plow blade to clear a patch of snow next to the driveway for more space... well, ok, I really just wanted to try out the new hardware.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
Looks great, Steve! How do you like it?

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
Looks great, Steve! How do you like it?

Mike
It's more than I hoped for. I was worried that it was going to be too much for the X585 but it looks like they were made for each other. Incredibly heavy duty with great fit and finish. I can't imagine damaging or wearing this thing out. I'm not hoping for more snow, but I won't be upset when I get to really test it out.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,698 Posts
Fired up the 332 for the first time since the engine rebuild still have some gremlins to work out of it but it’s getting there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That blade looks taller than a 54, maybe it’s just the monster cutting edge.

We don’t have any snow down in Sturbridge.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Steve,

Great looking blade. Is your driveway black top clear out to the road?

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
That blade looks taller than a 54, maybe it’s just the monster cutting edge.

We don’t have any snow down in Sturbridge.

The CTA blade is about 24" tall, the deere 54 and 60 are about 18" tall. The cutting edge alone is 6" thick so I guess that is the difference. One problem I foresee is light at night. The blade is so tall I imagine a fairly substantial shadow.

10041 - 10060 of 12251 Posts