My Tractor Forum banner

9921 - 9940 of 9982 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
Steve, just getting back to you. Yes, the "New" at the top of the page is where unread post go, we were notified by VS that they are still indexing data so that will take a while longer. By going to the "Search" and typing in a users name and then filtering for "most recent" when the results comes back works too! (this is how I got back to this thread and your post). This should work for thread titles as well. As always you can go to the forum directly and see them their but there is no "Active Topics" or "New Posts" area to select from anymore like it was before. Also you can "bookmark" any thread or post as well and that should allow you to find it. Will be trying that out in a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I understand technology changes.

I know I will get flamed, that's OK. I just wish when something is working and a boatload
of subscribers pay the yearly fee, why is there the need to think a totally different look
is for the good of all? All of us have seen this new look in whatever website or forums
we frequent. We have growled and asked, 'Why?"

Folks like myself join, pay $$$ and use the forums because it provides value and they like reading
the threads they do. I and many others have posted questions because we have learned we can get
great answers.

When I personally know that other members have gone out of their way to post pictures to questions I myself
have asked, (like removing the mower deck to detail pictures of how the front blade attaches) I know this is where I want to be. They are not interested in having to learn new tricks to accomplish
the same thing.

It seems like changes for change sake are the tail wagging the dog and not for the betterment of all.

Rant over.

If it were just a matter of change for changes sake I'd agree with you, however this change was brought about by the need to stay current with technology and be in compliance with laws. Since VS is an "international" presence they had to comply with GDPR and there was no way for vBulletin to do that. Simple things couldn't be done in the old software too like a simple copy and paste into the posts, you can do that now. So as with anything there are pluses and minuses to the change. So far we are finding things pretty fast so hopefully we can assist everyone with this transition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lots of snow and it’s still snowing. I made the mistake of not putting my chains on earlier so I had to do that this morning and spent about three hours cleaning up. Made some paths for the pup. One of my chains came off about half way through which was no fun.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I made the mistake of not putting my chains on earlier so I had to do that this morning and spent about three hours cleaning up. Made some paths for the pup. One of my chains came off about half way through which was no fun.
I've never put zip ties on to hold the chains/terragrips and oddly this year I decided to do so. Had been thinking if I don't this will be the year they pop loose at the worst tie.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used the floor jack and lifted the rear end up to install the chains. I can’t believe I never thought of that before. It made it so easy to do the install. Having the loader on keeps the tractor from pivoting about the front axle axis. It makes jacking up the rear end so much easier. I suspect having a plow or blower on would help in the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
Somebody got snow. Hey what happens when I click on the eye once I see the thread heading? Also what does bookmark do?
Bookmark allows you to return to a thread. It is accessed by clicking on your avatar in the main page and going to Bookmarks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used the floor jack and lifted the rear end up to install the chains. I can’t believe I never thought of that before. It made it so easy to do the install. Having the loader on keeps the tractor from pivoting about the front axle axis. It makes jacking up the rear end so much easier. I suspect having a plow or blower on would help in the same way.

Doh! That is indeed a good idea which I will certainly do next season.

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
I notice you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to see what thread your on. Where as before the title would be on top of everyone's response.
Don, I don't believe that threads that were subscribed on the old software were carried over. But if you want email alerts try the "Follow" on the thread, you can turn email alerts on or not.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Ordered Carlisle Turf tires for front of 112, got to luv some of these Black Friday prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
822 Posts

Good idea with the floor jack! How much weight did you have on the 425? I’ve found you can’t have too much. My 425 had almost 600#s of ballast with the model 40. Any idea what the loader weighs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Doh! That is indeed a good idea which I will certainly do next season.
I do the same as well as release all the pressure in the tires to install the TerraGrips, fill back up to spec & the grips are a little tighter than I can get them when the tires are at their normal psi.

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Ordered Carlisle Turf tires for front of 112, got to luv some of these Black Friday prices
Where did you buy from? I'm thinking about ATV tires for snow use, something between turfs and gas. Especially for the rears, and mainly for snowblower duty.

As for the jack and chains, I've also done that, but always forget to drop the air pressure first. Is there a dedicated thread/sticky on this site (Deere or more general) for a collection of chain installation tips?

Mike

·
motorcycle cowboy
771 Posts
Still in leaf mode in East Tennessee.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mike, I got my tires from Amazon for $73 each shipped. I couldn’t find anyone close. 25x10.5x12

I used the plow with extensions for the first time today. The extensions are great and the 425 is noticeably better at plowing than my 318 was. With chains, loaded tires, 2 sets of wheel weights and 300# hanging on the 3 point this thing is a beast. I got a little greedy trying to plow down to the shed and buried it good. Just a few minutes with the shovel and I was out.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Where did you buy from? I'm thinking about ATV tires for snow use.

Mike
Most of my tires have come from Summit racing, these are coming from Northern Hydraulics,

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Mike, I got my tires from Amazon for $73 each shipped. I couldn’t find anyone close. 25x10.5x12

I used the plow with extensions for the first time today. The extensions are great and the 425 is noticeably better at plowing than my 318 was. With chains, loaded tires, 2 sets of wheel weights and 300# hanging on the 3 point this thing is a beast. I got a little greedy trying to plow down to the shed and buried it good. Just a few minutes with the shovel and I was out.

Those extensions are the cats meow, Love mine!

9921 - 9940 of 9982 Posts