My Tractor Forum banner

8121 - 8140 of 10293 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
i spent some time poking around a 317 i got last sunday. i managed to reclaim a corner of the shop to work on it this winter.

looking for a good engine for it.
I have a KT-17 Series I pulled out of my 81 317 that has the exact same hole in the exact same place.

Gentleman I bought the tractor from had a house on a hill and what I would consider to be a fairly steep front yard...… guess what happened??

I plugged the hole with some weld stick and ran it on one cylinder for awhile. Found a Series II to replace it.

Good luck with your search, they are out there.

Jared

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
i spent some time poking around a 317 i got last sunday. i managed to reclaim a corner of the shop to work on it this winter.

looking for a good engine for it.
Looks like a nice 317, I'd like to see some pics of the ford loader as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
po said it gave out a puff of white smoke and started running poorly, also said it was low on oil at the time and i noticed the fins are packed with grass, dirt, etc. if this 40 year old tractor has it's original engine with STD pistons i'd say it was a survivor. i curious to get into it. if it's been bored and the insides are not too beat up i may just tig weld in an aluminum patch and replace the rod until a series 2 is available.
Jared, what's this on the side of your 317? mine doesn't have that, just some plugged holes in the tower.
Nick, here are some of the ford loader pics, i used to have the loader and hoe on a cub cadet 149 then swapped them over to the ford 1110 4WD.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Jared, what's this on the side of your 317? mine doesn't have that, just some plugged holes in the tower.
That is a diverter valve. It kind of makes the hydraulics act more like an H3. It allows the use of one spool to control 2 implements.

For example, I pulled the deck but still have the front blade and tiller mounted. When the diverter valve is up, I can use both of the spools to control the front blade, left/right, up/down. When the diverter valve is down, one of the spools becomes dedicated to the lift cylinder for the deck/tiller.

Jared

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,743 Posts
Swapped LittleTractor from his summer duds to his winter duds... again. I'd put the blower on at the beginning of October because the weather went south real quick then. But then we had a really long nice warm spell and all the leaves fell. So I popped the mower back on. Well, now we've got 2-3 inches of snow, and I think its staying this time. So hi ho, hi ho, its back to the blower I go! Getting really good at this swap! It became SO much easier when I figured out two things!

1. Always remember to pull the mower out from the RIGHT hand side of the tractor! That's much easier!
  2. Use the bottle jack to lift the back of the tractor so that the mount holes and the frame holes through which you insert the brace pins line up. That's MUCH easier than trying to lift the blower with a 2x4 while trying to insert the brace pin through the two holes!
Everybody else probably already knew these!

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
931 Posts
Made up a bucket level indicator to help setting the relative position of the snowblower. My first strategy of using an adjustable link failed to hold against significant hydraulic leverage. I've got snow removal options but note the distinct lack of a cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Made up a bucket level indicator to help setting the relative position of the snowblower. My first strategy of using an adjustable link failed to hold against significant hydraulic leverage. I've got snow removal options but note the distinct lack of a cab.

That sure is a nice looking tractor you have.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Last night I installed the foam filled rear tires and chains, wheel weights, and installed the loader with forks to start bringing all the snow items up to the shop from the shed. So now the snowthrower and cab are in the shop. I moved the 314 and 33 tiller to the shed for now to have more room in the shop. I have an OTC cab and on the rear panel there is a spot that is worn through. Called OTC a while back and they sent out a rather large cut of the soft side material free of cost. So today I will bring the panel and extra material to an upholstery shop to get fixed.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,598 Posts
I guess it's more like "what I didn't do on my JD". I still have at least one pass of leaf clean-up to get done, so the mower deck is still on the x728, and more importantly, the blade is not. Forecast for an afternoon "up to an inch of wintery mix on grassy surfaces" didn't scare me. Wife now retired, doesn't have to go anywhere, and my 4wd Tacoma is adequate and more. Spent the mid-day picking up my grandson from nursery school, then he and I pushed the first 2" of that prediction for a while. Later I helped my son-in-law push (with shovels) the next 4" of that prediction and decided I wanted to get home before the traffic got bad. Failed, encountered cars stuck all over the place, at every little hill. Finally got home in an hour that should have taken me about 20 minutes. I still have hope on that prediction, so Scout and I walked out back for a hike in the first 7-8" of that prediction. Hmmm, things just don't seem to be panning out just now for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I continue to adjust my 62C MMM deck. For some reason it is a continuous task every few months. Today was the front left hand gage wheel that is lower than the right hand wheel. So the front hanger needed a few turns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Parts collector
2,987 Posts
I guess it's more like "what I didn't do on my JD". I still have at least one pass of leaf clean-up to get done, so the mower deck is still on the x728, and more importantly, the blade is not. Forecast for an afternoon "up to an inch of wintery mix on grassy surfaces" didn't scare me. Wife now retired, doesn't have to go anywhere, and my 4wd Tacoma is adequate and more. Spent the mid-day picking up my grandson from nursery school, then he and I pushed the first 2" of that prediction for a while. Later I helped my son-in-law push (with shovels) the next 4" of that prediction and decided I wanted to get home before the traffic got bad. Failed, encountered cars stuck all over the place, at every little hill. Finally got home in an hour that should have taken me about 20 minutes. I still have hope on that prediction, so Scout and I walked out back for a hike in the first 7-8" of that prediction. Hmmm, things just don't seem to be panning out just now for me.
I'm right there with you. I didn't put the blower on yet because I had one more cleanup to do. Now I have 4"s of wet snow on my 200ft driveway and now way to clear it. The 300 won't start and it has the plow on it. 314 still has the deck on it.

Time to get the tractors in the garage and get ready for winter until I can get my plow truck working. :tango_face_sad:

wife's 4x4 in her truck is out and I have no clue what is wrong, she took my truck to work today but had trouble with the old 4x4 system getting it locked in. once it was locked in the 93 Cummins pulled her home. :tango_face_wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I'm right there with you. I didn't put the blower on yet because I had one more cleanup to do. Now I have 4"s of wet snow on my 200ft driveway and now way to clear it. The 300 won't start and it has the plow on it. 314 still has the deck on it.

Time to get the tractors in the garage and get ready for winter until I can get my plow truck working. :tango_face_sad:

wife's 4x4 in her truck is out and I have no clue what is wrong, she took my truck to work today but had trouble with the old 4x4 system getting it locked in. once it was locked in the 93 Cummins pulled her home. :tango_face_wink:
93, huh? Where's the pics?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
Since Plowday was canceled, I removed weights & loaded ags, then installed my HDAP tires that are on 10 1/2" 445/455 rims. when removing starter weights I add two bolts & wear leather gloves, bare skin might get ripped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Happy. Only a couple inches but had to try it out. You know how it goes...

I believe we’ve all been guilty of that!! Looks good, my cab and blower are still on pallets... :tango_face_crying:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Last night we got a few inches of snow that I was planning on pushing with the blade to make a sledding pile for the kids. Decided to use the snowthrower instead because it is way faster at moving snow than the blade. Missing my cab after getting covered in snow. Hopefully the upholstery shop can get to the repair of the rear soft section of my OTC cab.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,598 Posts
Conceded defeat to mother nature:

So, I rearranged my garage, pulled the deck off (temporarily), mounted the quick hitch with grapple, reoriented the second hydro cylinder, pulled the grapple, attached the blade, and pushed the driveway clear for my dear wife to get home.

This snow amounted to about 8" at it's fluffy deepest, then the wintry mix of sleet and freezing rain compressed it down to about 6", and then the rain added weight. As I mentioned yesterday, I seriously considered letting mother nature melt it away, but she is taking her good time with it. All in all, the implement shuffle took longer than the plowing:

·
Premium Member
8,010 Posts
Wow, I cannot believe how well that plows that deep, heavy stuff, Jere!

What are you using for tires and weight?

Mike

8121 - 8140 of 10293 Posts