My Tractor Forum banner
20401 - 20420 of 20797 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Battery question. Can a battery have enough juice to spin an engine at it's normal cranking speed, but not have enough juice to start the engine? I worked on my friends mower a couple years ago. Got it running and it ran great. Came over a few days later and it cranked fine. Fast, no UNNNGH UNNGH. It cranked fast till I did run the battery dead. Went home and got my charger and charged it up. Barely touched the key and it fired right up, ran great. I leave the charger on the truck, so I started putting the battery on charge for like 15 minutes while I weed whacked. Always fires right up. I took it to WV this weekend. Picked it up at his house, stared instantly. Sat on the trailer over night. Got to WV, it started right up. Mowed a little bit and had obligations to take care of, so shut it off and let it sit out. Next morning it sputtered, but no start. hit it with ether, it popped but no start. My son had my truck detailed for fathers day and I've got so used to it being clean, I didn't put most of my tools back on it yet. No charger or jumper cables. Had to use a big ratchet strap to pull it back up on the trailer. Got home and hooked it up. Went in the house and watched one quarter of the foot ball game, with my wife fast forwarding the commercials. Maybe 15 minutes. Went out and as soon as I touched the key it fired right up. Took it back over my friends and it fired right up. So, I mowed his field and it ran great. I've been planning on putting a battery in it, it's several years old and doesn't get run much. Guess I'll do that as soon as I get back from PA next week? I've had cars with bad batter's in them and they would just barley turn the engine over and VROOM. I just don't get how this spins the engine fast, but wont start, then stick it on charge for just 15 minutes and it's off to the races. It is a little tractor battery.

·
Premium Member
7,668 Posts
Road trip w/X495 to move some more dirt for a co-worker, I always recheck my Deere & trailer when I get down to the road before heading out
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
This heat has just about taken all the energy from me. Thankfully it looks like we may have a break midweek with a possible storm and cold front moving in. Low 80s on Wednesday and potentially under 90° for the weekend. I may have to finally get a little work done. This is from a couple weeks back when the boys needed a little cleaning. JD1, JD2 and JD4. JD3 stayed covered up.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Riding mower Tractor

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Drone guys. What's s good starter drone with camera?
Pic for forum

Mike in Ok
I’d get the DJI Mavic mini. Solid small drone that takes good quality pictures. Comes with guards if you aren’t comfortable flying yet. If you don’t want to spend that much and don’t need anything that nice yet, this is a pretty good beginner drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
This heat has just about taken all the energy from me. Thankfully it looks like we may have a break midweek with a possible storm and cold front moving in. Low 80s on Wednesday and potentially under 90° for the weekend. I may have to finally get a little work done. This is from a couple weeks back when the boys needed a little cleaning. JD1, JD2 and JD4. JD3 stayed covered up. View attachment 2562003
View attachment 2562002
We took a mini family 3 day vacation to Lost River State Park in WV. About 125 miles from home. Weather is usually pretty much the same. They were callings for the 90’s heat wave to break and be in the low 80’s. All I packed was a couple T shirts and shorts. Friday and Sat nights it dropped to the low 50’s. Even my Norwegian blood got chilly.

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
Yeah... A lot of our camping trips involve me packing WAY too much stuff, because you really can't depend on the weather to stay in a narrow range, especially in the mountains.

Near the coast is much better, especially in July and August.

Mike

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The GT245 is way over due for service. The filter on it says 1041 and it's at 1102 now. I don't usually let them go that long but it's been my main mower this year. I took the deck off and cleaned the grass out of the underside then put the pressure washer to it. I got it mostly clean but I blew the Rustolum yellow off of it in several places. A buddy of mine sand blasted it for me a few years ago and primed it. Whatever kind of primer it is the Rustolum doesn't like it. One of the idler pulleys is running sideways and rubbing on the deck, need to see what's up with that. I let it run a few minutes and drained the oil. I had a plan to use a Dixie cup to keep from getting oil on the frame when I removed the filter but it didn't work. I had to get some rags and clean it up. I'm going to the Mart later to get another oil filter, some oil and another can of yellow spray paint. I'll probably put it up for the winter when I get it serviced and use some of the other mowers for the rest of this summer.
Cannon
Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,394 Posts
Battery question. Can a battery have enough juice to spin an engine at it's normal cranking speed, but not have enough juice to start the engine? I worked on my friends mower a couple years ago. Got it running and it ran great. Came over a few days later and it cranked fine. Fast, no UNNNGH UNNGH. It cranked fast till I did run the battery dead. Went home and got my charger and charged it up. Barely touched the key and it fired right up, ran great. I leave the charger on the truck, so I started putting the battery on charge for like 15 minutes while I weed whacked. Always fires right up. I took it to WV this weekend. Picked it up at his house, stared instantly. Sat on the trailer over night. Got to WV, it started right up. Mowed a little bit and had obligations to take care of, so shut it off and let it sit out. Next morning it sputtered, but no start. hit it with ether, it popped but no start. My son had my truck detailed for fathers day and I've got so used to it being clean, I didn't put most of my tools back on it yet. No charger or jumper cables. Had to use a big ratchet strap to pull it back up on the trailer. Got home and hooked it up. Went in the house and watched one quarter of the foot ball game, with my wife fast forwarding the commercials. Maybe 15 minutes. Went out and as soon as I touched the key it fired right up. Took it back over my friends and it fired right up. So, I mowed his field and it ran great. I've been planning on putting a battery in it, it's several years old and doesn't get run much. Guess I'll do that as soon as I get back from PA next week? I've had cars with bad batter's in them and they would just barley turn the engine over and VROOM. I just don't get how this spins the engine fast, but wont start, then stick it on charge for just 15 minutes and it's off to the races. It is a little tractor battery.
Yes, and from the sound of it the battery is bad and/or doesn't have enough Cold Cranking amps to fire the engine while turning the engine over after sitting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
And here in Northern Chester County July and August have been very dry. Even when we did get a little rain, it was very little. I had the misfortune to do a complete landscape replace at the end of June, and haven't had enough rain since. I've been watering it daily since.
Same here. We moved from Middletown to Dover back in May, so we moved a lot of plants and bushes to the new house. Plus with a much nicer property, the wife has been revamping a lot of the beds that were here previously. Lots of watering.

·
Jerk of all trades
874 Posts
Took the 240 Gt out to stretch her legs.. I did cut some patches of green stuff . ...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Check the voltage when it's cranking.

I'm not sure that it still happens this way, but when electronic ignitions were becoming a thing some of them would fire if the voltage they sensed was below a certain voltage (I don't recall the exact number).

But, yes, to answer your question, this lead to the situation where they would happily crank over but wouldn't fire.

I suppose there could also be a similar situation with EFI systems. (as opposed to ignition system)

Could also take battery and have it load tested (voltage when cranking is a 'homemade' load test).

Swapping in a 'known good battery' or using a jumper battery could also be a test.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Check the voltage when it's cranking.

I'm not sure that it still happens this way, but when electronic ignitions were becoming a thing some of them would fire if the voltage they sensed was below a certain voltage (I don't recall the exact number).

But, yes, to answer your question, this lead to the situation where they would happily crank over but wouldn't fire.

I suppose there could also be a similar situation with EFI systems. (as opposed to ignition system)

Could also take battery and have it load tested (voltage when cranking is a 'homemade' load test).

Swapping in a 'known good battery' or using a jumper battery could also be a test.
Thanks, that’s what had me going. It spins over fine but just pops and coughs. Put it on charge for just a few minutes and it starts. I put car batteries in all of my tractors but this is a ZTurn with no room for a bigger battery. I’ll stick a new battery in it when I get back in town Sunday.

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
@Rarefish383

Four summers ago, I replaced the battery in my Craftsman GS6500 with an automotive one (small, same size as L&G model).

It's an AutoCraft Silver, U1RT, 370 CCA, with 2-year warranty. I believe it matched up to be used in a small Mazda or other Japanese car.

I had to buy post adapters to connect the tractor leads, but I think this is the biggest battery I can put in there without cutting a larger opening in the battery holder shelf.

Has held up much better than any L&G battery I've ever owned, including Die Hard Gold.

Sorry, no pics at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Mike

EDIT/PS: I can't find that exact battery make/model online at the moment (I think it came from Advance Auto Parts at the time), but I do remember making a point of finding a battery with the highest CCA that would physically fit into the space.

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
Fixed a head space and timing error (military types will know what I mean) on PA322. I decided to test the 46" deck on it before selling (good thing) and found out that it had a non-OEM belt that jumped. Got the new belt yesterday and it was mowing fine (half my back yard) until I lifted the deck to go over a stump. Then something went wrong, and I had to stop. Got under it today and realized I'd forgotten to connect up one of the deck lift arms!!!! Hmmm... wonder what caused the lift issue?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Thanks, that’s what had me going. It spins over fine but just pops and coughs. Put it on charge for just a few minutes and it starts. I put car batteries in all of my tractors but this is a ZTurn with no room for a bigger battery. I’ll stick a new battery in it when I get back in town Sunday.
If the battery will take a charge and start the ZTurn, may be that it’s the regulator or stator??? How old is the battery? Have you checked the regulator and stator outputs? A couple of minutes may save several $$$. Just my $.02 worth.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fixed a head space and timing error (military types will know what I mean) on PA322. I decided to test the 46" deck on it before selling (good thing) and found out that it had a non-OEM belt that jumped. Got the new belt yesterday and it was mowing fine (half my back yard) until I lifted the deck to go over a stump. Then something went wrong, and I had to stop. Got under it today and realized I'd forgotten to connect up one of the deck lift arms!!!! Hmmm... wonder what caused the lift issue?
Okay I’m not military so I looked it up. Sounds like you may have installed a 50cal and turned it up just right.:)

20401 - 20420 of 20797 Posts