My Tractor Forum banner
19981 - 20000 of 20744 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,687 Posts
Also today I checked the front transmission for oil, everything was fine. Now just need to determine why my front drive is tearing the yard up in turns:

People in nature Grass Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Plant People in nature Natural landscape Grass Terrestrial plant

Only happens once in a while and when I turn on gravel/concrete it doesn't make marks or spin the front tires. The last picture I may have caught the deck on a root from the tree that started it but it was much longer than that root slowed me down.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
How long do you let the boards dry before you use them for a project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pends, for trailer decking I'll use them as soon as I get around to it. I make a lot of rustic furniture, fire pit benches and such, I make right away. I made these bench tops for my wife's potting shed 3 days after I took them down. They were a fir. Actually, I cut the trees down one Saturday and loaded the logs Sunday. The following Saturday my wife was leaving for a ladies' retreat, and said it would be nice if the bench was done when she got home. Just go get a sheet of plywood, that's good enough. Well, as soon as someone says "good enough" it pushes my big red button. It's either right, or messed up, no such thing as good enough. I looked at the logs in my trailer and said I have a mill, why go to HD? Milled them up and ran them through the planer. I had built the frame work for the bench tops 6 months before. I built them planning on a milled top, so I had the frame work set up so all the screws would be from underneath. I built it green and put clamps on all the boards so there was no cracks in the joints. A year later there is a small crack between the joints. i used live edges on the front, and put live edges between the wall studs so she can set stuff behind the bench. My wife cals it Taj Ma Shed.

This is my very first project, made from a dead Yellow Poplar that fell across my inlaws back yard. It's all mortise and tenon. I had the boards stacked on my back patio, and it took four hours to the minute to make it, from the time I picked the first board up and set it on the jig to built. I was told a chair should be 18". So, I stacked two stacks of left over pavers in the back, right and left at 18". Put a half inch strip of plywood across the front and then two stacks of pavers right and left. That made it 18" in the back and 18 1/2 in the front, slight slope. Put the seat slab on the pavers. Put the two end pieces in place, ratchet strapped them tight. Slid the back between the side uprights and strapped them. Used a straight edge to mark top and bottom of the seat onto the ends. Took it apart, marked and cut the mortices and Tenons. Used a rubber mallet to drive them together. 4 hours, done deal.

I have Black Walnut slabs I plan on using for a custom rifle stock that have been air drying for ten years.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pends, for trailer decking I'll use them as soon as I get around to it. I make a lot of rustic furniture, fire pit benches and such, I make right away. I made these bench tops for my wife's potting shed 3 days after I took them down. They were a fir. Actually, I cut the trees down one Saturday and loaded the logs Sunday. The following Saturday my wife was leaving for a ladies' retreat, and said it would be nice if the bench was done when she got home. Just go get a sheet of plywood, that's good enough. Well, as soon as someone says "good enough" it pushes my big red button. It's either right, or messed up, no such thing as good enough. I looked at the logs in my trailer and said I have a mill, why go to HD? Milled them up and ran them through the planer. I had built the frame work for the bench tops 6 months before. I built them planning on a milled top, so I had the frame work set up so all the screws would be from underneath. I built it green and put clamps on all the boards so there was no cracks in the joints. A year later there is a small crack between the joints. i used live edges on the front, and put live edges between the wall studs so she can set stuff behind the bench. My wife cals it Taj Ma Shed.

This is my very first project, made from a dead Yellow Poplar that fell across my inlaws back yard. It's all mortise and tenon. I had the boards stacked on my back patio, and it took four hours to the minute to make it, from the time I picked the first board up and set it on the jig to built. I was told a chair should be 18". So, I stacked two stacks of left over pavers in the back, right and left at 18". Put a half inch strip of plywood across the front and then two stacks of pavers right and left. That made it 18" in the back and 18 1/2 in the front, slight slope. Put the seat slab on the pavers. Put the two end pieces in place, ratchet strapped them tight. Slid the back between the side uprights and strapped them. Used a straight edge to mark top and bottom of the seat onto the ends. Took it apart, marked and cut the mortices and Tenons. Used a rubber mallet to drive them together. 4 hours, done deal.

I have Black Walnut slabs I plan on using for a custom rifle stock that have been air drying for ten years.
In my dreams I get stuff done that fast too! My projects take FOREVER!! Nice work.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The extraordinary events that lead to playing with my JD! Today was the annual, "Clean Grammy's Fish Pond" day. Last week I bought a Little Giant collapsing ladder on an online auction for $22. I picked it up yesterday. This morning when I was putting the power washer on the truck, I noticed I pinched a gallon jug of bar oil between a sharp chain and the ladder. So, I had the best part of a gallon of oil, in the bed of my truck, that my son just paid $225 to have detailed for Fathers Day. I took the ladder out and left it home. Of course, it took like one milla second for my wife to see the oil. Finished the fish pond and was exhausted, dehydrated, and stunk like some back bay. My wife gave me very exact instructions, since I had the power washer on the truck, back up to the woods, and clean the oil out. The woods happen to be right next to my shed with the new to me 318.The previous owner had the seat pan unbolted and I already stripped it, ready for the powder coat guy. Rolled the old 318 out, and after I power washed the bed of my truck, I hit the 318. I've got some pics and questions. Under the fuel tank on the trans axle is a splined shaft. I assume that's the PTO shaft. What do I need to get the PTO back to the rear of the tractor. It already has the 3 point. It has the mule drive on the front, but it's pretty beat up on the front, but everything behind the sheet metal looks good.

https://i.imgur.com/DzX9eQs.jpg[/img
[img]https://i.imgur.com/T9dvjaJ.jpg

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Also today I checked the front transmission for oil, everything was fine. Now just need to determine why my front drive is tearing the yard up in turns:

View attachment 2556699 View attachment 2556700

Only happens once in a while and when I turn on gravel/concrete it doesn't make marks or spin the front tires. The last picture I may have caught the deck on a root from the tree that started it but it was much longer than that root slowed me down.
My CUT will defiantly do that if I'm moving just a little bit fast.

·
Super Moderator
44,687 Posts
My CUT will defiantly do that if I'm moving just a little bit fast.
Everything I've heard about the HFWD was that it didn't do this. It has a proportioning valve on it that as you turn changes the speed to the left/right front wheel to prevent front wheel spin. Not a huge deal as it'll grow back in a week or so but just seemed odd that it was doing it.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Just because I wanted to, I upgraded my alternator on the X595 to 40 amp system. I felt a little guilty spending $100 when the ole 20 amp worked fine. I need to secure & add loom to all the wires now, I just wanted to make sure it was charging
Automotive tire Measuring instrument Gauge Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Likes Vintage JDs
12,157 Posts
Everything I've heard about the HFWD was that it didn't do this. It has a proportioning valve on it that as you turn changes the speed to the left/right front wheel to prevent front wheel spin. Not a huge deal as it'll grow back in a week or so but just seemed odd that it was doing it.
Somewhere around here is a thread explaining how to make the adjustment to the proportioning valve. I remember reading it many moons ago.

Mine does not do that at all, even with the new tires. So you are definitely out of spec and should be able to adjust back.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,076 Posts
Somewhere around here is a thread explaining how to make the adjustment to the proportioning valve. I remember reading it many moons ago.

Mine does not do that at all, even with the new tires. So you are definitely out of spec and should be able to adjust back.
Mine does not do that either. Can you tell if it only happens on the outside tire or inside tire on a tight turn, or is it happening on both sides?

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
@Rarefish383 How suicidal does someone need to be in order to be willing to hold the handle at the tip of the bar (chainsaw mill)???

Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts

Neat! We just got a woodland mills sawmill in order to save the 32 pines we cut down from being burned. It’s a waste with the cost of wood these days. The goal is to build a privacy fence with the wood. How long would you let it sit? We have it stacked with slits in between every board

·
Registered
345 Posts
Neat! We just got a woodland mills sawmill in order to save the 32 pines we cut down from being burned. It’s a waste with the cost of wood these days. The goal is to build a privacy fence with the wood. How long would you let it sit? We have it stacked with slits in between every board
Here’s what I found with my Google machine…
Depending on the species and your climate, it can take from 2 to 12 months to bring 4/4 lumber from green to air-dry (12- to 20-percent moisture content, depending on your location). Air-dry isn't dry enough for indoor use. If you're planning to use the lumber for outdoor projects, airdrying outdoors is fine.
I would add painting the ends helps reduce cracks. The ends dry faster.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My neighbor in WV has a Woodlands and it's a nice mill. If you are just going to make fencing with it why wait? It's normalizing to the humidity level it's going to be used in. The purpose of drying with furniture is to get the water continent down to the same level as in your house, so it doesn't dry and shift. Outside, it will always be around the ambient humidity level.

·
Super Moderator
44,687 Posts
I’m curious what you discover. I’m not in grass much cus I turned all living vegetation into mud! However I do notice scuffing and rolling resistance on concrete as I turn with my X748.
I know that @burned300 did timing between front and rear wheels when he added the HFWD to his X720. Not sure that is my issue but I will check that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My neighbor in WV has a Woodlands and it's a nice mill. If you are just going to make fencing with it why wait? It's normalizing to the humidity level it's going to be used in. The purpose of drying with furniture is to get the water continent down to the same level as in your house, so it doesn't dry and shift. Outside, it will always be around the ambient humidity level.
I thought if it wasn’t stacked correctly until it dried it would warp. We would like to get started on the fence as soon as we can but I thought it had to sit 6-12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19981 - 20000 of 20744 Posts